Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Teen Grieving Over Parent

Sarajsimon

• Members

Hi everyone. My name is Sara and I'm fourteen years old. I'm new to this website and really want to connect with people who are going trough the same thing I am going through. I lost my dad about 10 weeks to brain cancer: stage 4, gliblastoma. He was diagnosed in June of 2010 and lived for 20 months. My mom, my younger sister and I had to watch as he got sicker and sicker, but even though we " knew" I never actually thought the day would come where he wouldn't be here anymore. My dad was a neurologist crazy enough and that disgusting evil disease took everything away from him. He couldn't drive anymore, read, became confused and felt terrible, and gave up his medical license. But my sweet dad kept going and was such a strong man. On January 31 2012 my daddy passed away on our home with my mom, brother, sister and my uncle all by his side. I'm struggling greatly and feel so lost and hopeless. I'm so, so sad and I miss him so much. I can't believe this is my reality. I'd love to talk to anyone who is going through the same thing

• Members
Daffodilfun

Hi Sara. I am so sorry for your loss. We are all going through the same thing, but at different levels. What you are feeling now is very normal. The feeling of loss and hoplesness are a big part of grieving. That you can't believe that this is reality is also a big part of grieving. Again I want to express to you that this is all very normal. Remembering the last days of your dad's life will dominate your thoughts for a long time, but try to think back to a time before he was sick. I sitll think of the day mom died and I cry and cry. I am trying desperatly to think back to the time when mom wasn't sick, but I can't at this time. Hold on tight to your memories. I know it will be difficult to do that now but it will come with time. Keep writing to us. We know what you are going through.

Blessings,

Sally

• Members

Hi Sally, thanks for your message. I know everything you say: I feel the exact same way. This is so hard and so unfair. Is seems crazy that nothing can really help these painful feelings huh? Millions and millions of people go through the same thing and hardly anything helps. They say that time heals, but I can't imagine feeling any better.

• Members

Sara, I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my dad a little over 1 1/2 yrs ago. It is very hard and I miss him so much. I found talking to my mom helps a great deal. The pain and heartache never go away, but I promise it does lessen in time and the good memories will come more and more. Right now you just need to go ahead and feel whatever you need to. Come here and talk, vent, scream, or whatever you need to do. We all understand and are right here with you. When we lose someone so dear to us, such a huge part of us, we have to find our new "normal". It's hard to do but we will all help you in anyway we can. Hug and prayers to you and your family. Vivian-Kevin's Mom

• Members

Hi, Sara.

I know how you feel about feeling lost and hopeless, it's kind of like being a daze but you can still feel everything.

Losing a parent, especially so young, feels so wrong and unfair but all we can do is support each other. Seek comfort in your family, and never be ashamed to admit if you're struggling or upset. Bottling things up won't help, so you need to find someone to talk to when you feel bad, whether it's on this forum or to one of your friends.

Even though the things you're feeling will feel like they'll never stop, don't doubt that you will be able to get through this.

• Members

Hi everyone. Thanks for your replies. I'll continue to keep writing on this site. Thanks for all your support. Talk soon, Sara

• Members

Hi Sara: Im sorry for your loss, i watched my mom deteriorate from parkinsons before she passed at 87 years old 5 months ago so i know how you feel.

I will pray that you can get thru this, i know i felt completly lost for 6 weeks after, i am 5 months now and healing but its hard. Keep busy and always know he loved you and would want you to enjoy your life.

May your daddy rip and i am praying for you dear.

Debbie

Archived