Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Did my mom come to check in on me?

tate1

• Members

I have been told so many times that my mom is always with me. The flowers on her casket were pink roses. A couple of weeks after the funeral my sister kept telling me that every once in a while she would get a whiff of fresh roses. I was so sad because I never experienced that. About 3 months after my mom passed, I was getting up (about 5AM) because it was about time for my husband to get ready for work. No one else was up but me. As I stepped out of bed that morning, I smelled fresh cut roses. It was a really beautiful smell, but I was thrown off a bit and got a bit scared. Once I realized what had just happened, I was really excited about it. Since then, I have not had any other sort of experiences until yesterday morning. My husband got up for work about 5:00AM and I went downstairs to let the dog out. My 12 year old daughter came down a few minutes later. After putting the dog up, and once my husband left for work, my daughter and I laid down on the couch as it wasn't time for her to get up for school yet. As I laid there trying to fallback to sleep for an hour, I got this beautiful smell of fresh sweet coffee. My mom loved coffee. My husband and I don't drink coffee except for around Christmas time. I thought about all the things it could be and wondered if I had any coffee scented candles, but I don't. The smell was so strong and only lasted a couple of minutes. After thinking about it for a while, I thought about my mom.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Could it have been that at that very moment my mom was checking in on me? I have always heard that sometime people smell a perfume or cologne that their loved on used, but this was coffee...is it strange?

I miss my mom so very much and feel so very empty. I have this void that even my husband and children cannot fill. They are always there for me anytime that I need them. My children are only 10 and 12, so I try to not let me see my pain. My husband knows when I am hurting, but has learned to just give me my space. Most the time, I don't want to burden him so I just take a time out to myself.

• Members
Daffodilfun

You are very blessed to have those experiences of your mom checking on you. I wish very hard for that to happen to me. Accept them as a gift from your mom and cherish them when it happens.

Blessings and hugs,

Sally

• Members

I am waiting for some sign my mom is still with me. I have had dreams about her but she always disappears suddenly. I believe that they can let you know they are there. You just need to be open and ready for it. Cherish the moments because you are very lucky.

• Members

Tate: Its interesting to note that even people with children, a husband etc, still feel the empty void from their mom being missing, i went to a grief support group tonight. It was pretty good and the referend was a nice sensitive intelligent man.

Prayers for all.

• Members

Tate I am so glad you posted this. My dad and myself have gotten many signs from my Mom over the last 10 weeks since her passing. My son also has ( he is 7) My Mom was very close with my kids and watched them 2x a week. My kids were truly her world and for my sweet boy to still feel his grandma checking on him really means the world to me. I feel for sure your Mom was with you and the smells were a sign. I know my dad, myself and my son take so much comfort in little signs from Mom. I also have a husband and my 2 children ages 4 and 7 they are wonderful but your right none of them can fill the void left by a mother's passing. I am thankful I have them as they do bring me so much joy but my heart is aching for my Mom who can never be replaced.

• Members

I'm glad that I am not the only one experiencing this. I am truley blessed that my mom has been checking in on me. Every time that my sister would tell me that she had dreamed of my mom or smelled fresh cut roses, I would be jealous because I couldn't experience the same things. Once I stopped wishing it would happen to me, it did...and when I least expected it.

If you haven't experienced any signs from a loved one, be patient, it will happen when you least expect it. I believe my mom waited till she knew I could handle it before she came to check in on me.

I am so glad that I came across this site. You guys are really great. I know that no matter how alone I feel that I can always come here and get things off my chest.

-Bel

• Members

I am not crazy but blessed with a very special gift. I don't share it with friends until they are ready to know the real me but while I am sleeping spirits of loved ones that have passed on tend to visit me from time to time. After my passed away I was angry with her because she hadn't come to see me but after talking with my sister and being aware it takes the soul so many days to pass that I had to give her time and she would come and she finally did come about 4 or 5 days after her death. I have seen her a few times but I haven't seen her since she came and told me everything would be ok and that she is happy and in a better place but I do feel her presence from time to time. I also know she is checking in on my kids as well. I have 2 kids a 4yr old daughter and a 7yr old son anyhow we were on a road trip and my kids were suppose to be sleeping but my son was yelling at his sister to stop tickling him. The positions and situation in which they were laying would have made it impossible for his sister to do anything with out me noticing so I think my mom was having a little bit of fun with the grand kids that night. Sometimes I am thank full to have the gift that I do and sometimes I wish I didn't. I hope I didn't freak anyone out by sharing this because its hard to talking about with people I do not know.

• Members

My mom does silly things like that all the time. When we went to the morgue to pick up her body, I was really depressed. My shoe came untied, so I stopped to tie it back. I took a few steps and the other shoe came untied! I stopped to tie it and continued to walk. She untied my shoes several times that day. It's very very hard to live without her since she was the only real parent I had. I have so many people supporting me. Everyone says I'm very strong. I try to keep my head held high, but sometimes I get an overwhelming feeling of sadness and depression. Surround yourself with people you love.

• Members
dizzydancingway

I have dreams that I am with my mom. She is sick and I know she's dying, or supposed to be dead already, but she's surviving somehow and seems like her old self. She always helps me figure something out. I always thought it was my mind's way of coping, but maybe her spirit is here. I don't know what I believe, but I'm glad I see her in my dreams nonetheless.

• Members

The most strange thing happened to me this morning. I was laying in bed half a sleep/half a wake, when all of a sudden I get a strong whiff of my mothers perfume. It was just for a second because I tried to sniff again and could not smell it. At first I thought it was my daughter and maybe she had gotten into some of my stuff but I don't have any kind of perfumes that my mom used. I know it was my mom stopping by to say hi and that she's still around from time to time. On the 25th of this month she will have been gone only 3 months. Its so hard sometimes but I know she is looking at me from above with a big ole smile on her face. :)

• Members

A couple of days after my Mom had passed I went out to get the mail. I never use the front door but had that afternoon. As I was coming back into the house I looked up and saw the most beautiful flower in my flower bed, I had never seen that flower before. I know it was her way of saying that she was ok and thinking of me.

Often I wonder if Mom plays with my computer too. There are times when it will just blank out to a green screen or a white screen. ??? Seems like it's alway when I'm looking for grief support too.

My daughter has seen her too. On the way to preschool about a week after she had passed, she started telling me that she had a dream about Grandma. I asked if she got to talk to her and with a huge smile on her face she said, 'nope, we just hugged'! Let me tell you, I was a mess dropping her off to school. They were VERY close and I know Mom had come back to tell her goodbye.

Archived