Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Another loss

LMR

• Members

Yesterday our rescue dog that we have had two months was taken away to a kennel. He was always too big and strong for us with too much energy. He had been a bit aggressive lately and we worried about him hurting someone but most of the time he was so sweet. He was actually my sister's dog. She was the walker, trainer, feeder. I am shocked how badly this has hit me. I cried all day yesterday just hoping she would bring him back and I'm no better today. I know this is hardly anything to the loss of my soul mate. Maybe it is the reminder and it's compounding my grief. I know my sister is hurting and I want to help her but once again I am a mess.

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators

I am so sorry, LMR!  My son had to rehome his dog that killed the neighbors chickens, they had a really tall fence yet she jumped it without effort!  I wanted to take her for a moment, then remembered all my neighbors have chickens and my fence is lower!  So hard.  They found a great owner for her that lives in the next state so she couldn't find her way home, and he sent pictures of her in a kayak with him! We couldn't believe it, he's doing an amazing job with her and works from home so always there.  I sure miss her though.

My heart goes out to you...I know it's not the same as them being dead, but the loss is very emotional and difficult to go through.

Relinquishment

• Like 1

• Members

Thank you Kay. I appreciate your comments. The thing about animals is that you can't explain to them what is happening, they are so vulnerable. I want  him to be happy, he's already had a hard life.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I agree.  It bothered me so much when the vet botched Arlie's euthanasia (they had his weight wrong because their scale was grossly off!  Had they had it calibrated...) and that he might think I brought this on him because he knew I brought him there.  If I could tell him anything, it would be that I love him so much and care about him more than the world, and my only thought and desire was to ease him out of his suffering...of course we know they live in the moment, animals don't hold grudges like people do, and forgive us instantly.  He is at peace and enjoying the company of other dogs in heaven.

And I believe the same of your dog as well.

• Like 2

• Members

LMR---Sorry for the separation of the re-homed dog. I sometimes wonder how certain folks working in animal shelters, temporarily take in pets until they find permanent homes for them. You easily get emotionally attached to them. I think most of us don't have the thick skin to avoid feeling attached to some animal who has lived with us for awhile. In any case, you did a good deed for an animal who needed care; and you did that in your grieving. My hat's off to you!!

• Like 1

• Members

Yesterday I got another reminder of the insensitivity of people. We are expected to have already forgotten about the dog!!! Get busy, go out, have fun! I'm already grieving and now this. I have to wonder what this person really thinks about my grieving for my husband. She has been separated from hers for many years, her choice, not his, so maybe she cannot comprehend the level of this loss.

I have realised that one of the things about the dog is how he relates to my husband. I can't get my husband back but I could get the dog back. I think that is the crux of the matter. It would be stupid and selfish but still......

I am reminded of a friend who's dog was ran over and killed by his neighbor. The neighbor's response was - it's just a dog!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
17 minutes ago, LMR said:

I have to wonder what this person really thinks about my grieving for my husband. She has been separated from hers for many years, her choice, not his, so maybe she cannot comprehend the level of this loss.

That last sentence kind of tells you a lot about her. She broke away from her marriage and is probably bitter towards marriage versus the loving relationship that you had. Consider the source. As for the neighbor who ran over the dog, I wouldn't want to be living next door to him!

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, LMR said:

The neighbor's response was - it's just a dog!

:o That is horrible!  And if they ran over their child and said that to them?!  To me it's the same, our children grow up, move out, are self-sufficient, but not our dogs...they are like babies to us, very much dependent on us and loyal, loving, giving!  It'd be hard not to slug the guy in the mouth and I'm not a violent person!  Obviously tthey have no empathy. :angry:  I guess we should feel sorry for them but it'd take a while for me to get past that remark...

• Members
3 hours ago, LMR said:

it's just a dog!

Wow, how insensitive and cruel. This made me think about the first John Wick movie where a criminal shot John's dog. John hounded the guy until he found him, the criminal said, "it was only a dog" and then John paid the criminal back in kind. I have a dog and to lose her would be devastating, especially before it was her time.

• Like 1

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, Sparky1 said:

I have a dog and to lose her would be devastating, especially before it was her time.

Absolutely, it would do me in.  Now that George is gone, my dog is my world.  And I imagine @foreverhis feels the same about Cosi.

• Like 1