Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Where I am at now

Bridelyn

• Members

Well it has been 2.5 months since my mom passed away suddenly. It was such a complete shock to our family. My mom was a strong, independent and witty woman. She always said she would live to be 100 like a couple of her aunts and we all believed she would. She was very determined and stubborn at times, so why would we doubt her? And having her live with me for the last 14 years, made me believe she would always be there.

Two weeks ago was a terrible week. We had to put down out 14 year old cat. Yes I know it was just a cat, but he was part of our family. My son, who had him since he was 7, was devastated. I was as well. He was always there to cheer you up. This event made us re-live my mother's death all over again. I was crying at work. I am sure my boss avoided me because I was so emotional.

Today I feel good. I know there will be some difficult days ahead and I still miss my mom a lot. My place is so quiet without her and my cat (who was a great singer). There is definitely a huge void there and I think it will always be there. My mom's health wasn't the best the last few years and I know she was suffering. I am happy she isn't anymore. I know I can make it on my own and just need to adjust to the changes. I know everything will be okay.

So how did I get to this point? I have been very fortunate to have 2 great kids and some very good friends. Whenever I am feeling down I talk about my mom. I share my feelings with my son every day and when I call my daughter. It also helps them to be able to talk about their Gram. We have never been closer than we are now. My friends have been so supportive and let me cry or vent whenever I need to. I am truly blessed to have these people in my life.

I think there was a time in my life when I would have kept my feelings to myself. I never want to bother people with my problems. But that is what friends and family are for. So my advice is to talk and talk some more. Talk about the loved one you lost. If you really have no one to talk to, talk on this forum. Everyone here can understand your loss because we have experience something similar. Please don't keep it all buried up inside.

• Members

Well it has been 2.5 months since my mom passed away suddenly. It was such a complete shock to our family. My mom was a strong, independent and witty woman. She always said she would live to be 100 like a couple of her aunts and we all believed she would. She was very determined and stubborn at times, so why would we doubt her? And having her live with me for the last 14 years, made me believe she would always be there.

Two weeks ago was a terrible week. We had to put down out 14 year old cat. Yes I know it was just a cat, but he was part of our family. My son, who had him since he was 7, was devastated. I was as well. He was always there to cheer you up. This event made us re-live my mother's death all over again. I was crying at work. I am sure my boss avoided me because I was so emotional.

Today I feel good. I know there will be some difficult days ahead and I still miss my mom a lot. My place is so quiet without her and my cat (who was a great singer). There is definitely a huge void there and I think it will always be there. My mom's health wasn't the best the last few years and I know she was suffering. I am happy she isn't anymore. I know I can make it on my own and just need to adjust to the changes. I know everything will be okay.

So how did I get to this point? I have been very fortunate to have 2 great kids and some very good friends. Whenever I am feeling down I talk about my mom. I share my feelings with my son every day and when I call my daughter. It also helps them to be able to talk about their Gram. We have never been closer than we are now. My friends have been so supportive and let me cry or vent whenever I need to. I am truly blessed to have these people in my life.

I think there was a time in my life when I would have kept my feelings to myself. I never want to bother people with my problems. But that is what friends and family are for. So my advice is to talk and talk some more. Talk about the loved one you lost. If you really have no one to talk to, talk on this forum. Everyone here can understand your loss because we have experience something similar. Please don't keep it all buried up inside.

Bridelyn,

I am sorry about the loss of your mom. You sound like you are learning to move forward in a healthy way, and you are fortunate to have such as support system. Your mom sounds like she was a great mom, and she passed that onto you.

I know all about how cats can be a valued family member. I had a cat for 15 years, and she died of cancer. It was such a loss for us.

Thanks for your support and encouragement for all of our members. We will be here for you, too.

ModKonnie

Archived