Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Dad

Ricki

• Members
3 minutes ago, Ricki said:

My father passed away this week. I’m struggling. I’ve never lost a loved one before. I thought I could handle it. I feel like I’m in a daze

• Members

Hi Ricki,

I am so sorry to hear of your Dad's passing.

My Dad's death was my first real experience of grief too. The immediate days after feel surreal. You can't seem to get your head around the fact he has gone. Lots of intense, overwhelming emotions could come soon or months down the road. 

Everyone on here will tell you the same thing - it's deeply personal and it affects everyone differently. There is no right way to grieve. And the so called stages of grief (that a book was made out of) certainly didn't happen for me that way. 

I am a loud griever, it turns out. When I was alone, I shrieked and howled from the bottom of my boots. I heard a knock on the door, so I went to my basement, lol. The important thing is to allow those deep and painful and horrifically sad recollections come. Let it out in anyway you can. It's both healing and exhausting at the same time.

These are very early days yet. You need to do self care and be gentle with yourself. Don't let others overwhelm you. If you need space, take it. But if you need help, reach out. 

Thinking of you and sending a virtual hug 💗 Traz