Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

The possible inevitable.

Midnight Oil

• Members
Midnight Oil

I have my mother still but at the hospital for an infected amputation.  She is a diabetic and recently lost her big toe.  The Dr's are now talking about further amputation due to non healing.  She has gotten an angioplasty on both legs and they are discussing amongst themselves whether to perform AKA or BKA.  I"ve read mortality rates due to stump infections are high with age and other comorbities. She is 86 years old. She enjoyed going to daycare but lived a much sedentary lifestyle before getting toe ulcer. As her only son, I took it upon myself to become her caregiver.  I can't help to feel anger [at her] because she was reluctant to listen on wearing socks with her shoes.  This all started over the toe rubbing on shoe sole.  I feel shock that this is leading to her demise. I made her a big part of my world for almost 13 years.  I wish she can still be around longer but am looking at this from studies, journals, and articles perspectives.  I feel my world is being turned upside down.  On top of it, my relationship with significant other is much strained not only by caregiving but her situation with her kids. Do you know of things that can help? 

• Members

I'm very sorry, please keep us posted. We are here listening and sharing and supporting each other the best we can.