Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

New Here - I'm Scared

MTop

• Moderators

I had my daughter following me around with food and water, I'm glad, easy to lose weight during this, you need all the strength you can get, so I hope you are eating and drinking water even when you don't feel like it.  A hint:  Try healthy smoothies, it's a good way to get something down you when you can't eat.  And I hope you have someone there with you.  I owe my daughter big time for what she did for me (my son was in the Air Force so only got a short leave) back then, it was nearly 18 years ago but I remember it like it was yesterday.  I don't know how I got through it, but one day at a time and I live by that still.  I would tell myself, "I can do today." Then the next day I'd get up and do the same.  Sometimes I had to break it down further into an hour or just a minute.

I was away at my sister's reunion when my husband drove himself to the doctor, having a heart attack and was sent by ambulance to the hospital.  My sister refused to drive me home, telling me later, "Well I didn't know he was going to DIE!"  She'd wanted to stay and gamble.  I had to wait two days to see him and then he died, they'd thrown me off the ward and locked the door while they worked on him.  They wouldn't have even known had I not called their attention to it as they were chatting instead of paying attention to the monitors.

I'm thankful your husband went peacefully, mine did not, and the fact I wasn't allowed to be with him when he died haunts me still.  This is never easy, none of it, but you will get through this, we will hold you up in our thoughts and prayers meanwhile.

53 minutes ago, DWS said:

Please be kind and gentle with yourself.

Yes! When I went through this I remember telling myself that now the one that always had my back and treated me with kindness was gone, it was up to me to be my own best friend.  Be patient, understanding, and kind to yourself.

• Like 2

• Members
1 hour ago, KayC said:

I had my daughter following me around with food and water, I'm glad, easy to lose weight during this, you need all the strength you can get, so I hope you are eating and drinking water even when you don't feel like it.  A hint:  Try healthy smoothies, it's a good way to get something down you when you can't eat.  And I hope you have someone there with you.  I owe my daughter big time for what she did for me (my son was in the Air Force so only got a short leave) back then, it was nearly 18 years ago but I remember it like it was yesterday.  I don't know how I got through it, but one day at a time and I live by that still.  I would tell myself, "I can do today." Then the next day I'd get up and do the same.  Sometimes I had to break it down further into an hour or just a minute.

I was away at my sister's reunion when my husband drove himself to the doctor, having a heart attack and was sent by ambulance to the hospital.  My sister refused to drive me home, telling me later, "Well I didn't know he was going to DIE!"  She'd wanted to stay and gamble.  I had to wait two days to see him and then he died, they'd thrown me off the ward and locked the door while they worked on him.  They wouldn't have even known had I not called their attention to it as they were chatting instead of paying attention to the monitors.

I'm thankful your husband went peacefully, mine did not, and the fact I wasn't allowed to be with him when he died haunts me still.  This is never easy, none of it, but you will get through this, we will hold you up in our thoughts and prayers meanwhile.

Yes! When I went through this I remember telling myself that now the one that always had my back and treated me with kindness was gone, it was up to me to be my own best friend.  Be patient, understanding, and kind to yourself.

I'm alone.  I have his family but, and I hate to admit this, I find it very difficult to be around them.  I love them and they love me, but they are a reminder of him and I can't take it right now.  I just don't know what to do.  Smoothies are a good idea, I need to find a way to force myself to get them.  I am so glad that you had your daughter to help you, that must have been a huge comfort.  I am sorry for what you have been through, I am sending you a big hug.  I cannot thank you enough for your kindness and support.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
50 minutes ago, sweet n low said:

my heart goes out to you, and those who've posted in reply... 😢 i lost my dear very suddenly too and i wish i could have taken his place... i'm nine months in. i think we just learn to live with this slightly better than the months/years before... times are frozen in place now, memories we must carry on our own. we continue to bear the immense love along with the pain of them now being gone and that is a really tough balance to try to find... when i was in the first few weeks of my shock, i held my hands as if it was his hand holding mine, just small things to feel less alone. having someone around will help you just push a little further for the day/night. go easy on yourself, i'm so very sorry for your loss.

I am so very sorry for your loss.  And for it to have been sudden.  I think I am still in shock.  Did you lose sleep and your appetite?  How are you doing now?  Your words hit me deep.  I don't have others around me, I feel very alone and lost.  I wish I had gone and not him - but then I wouldn't want him to feel this awful, either.  Thank you for your beautiful words and for listening to me.  I appreciate the support.

• Hugs 2

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, MTop said:

Did you lose sleep and your appetite?

I did!

I made smoothies from applesauce, bananas, yogurt, spinach, protein powder and granola, all the food groups.  I'm diabetic now so can no longer have it, but I hope it helps, just mix in blender.

• Like 3

• Members
sweet n low

@KayC thank you dear, i cannot take credit for such beauty... it was written by Jorge Luis Borges. so heart-rendering...

• Like 1

• Members
sweet n low
2 hours ago, MTop said:

I am so very sorry for your loss.  And for it to have been sudden.  I think I am still in shock.  Did you lose sleep and your appetite?  How are you doing now?  Your words hit me deep.  I don't have others around me, I feel very alone and lost.  I wish I had gone and not him - but then I wouldn't want him to feel this awful, either.  Thank you for your beautiful words and for listening to me.  I appreciate the support.

You're most welcome, I appreciate the support very very much too... It's a really difficult thing talking about this especially when you feel you have very little people in your life, I don't much either. It's still necessary work and by being here I know we're both working on making the right steps. I felt like such a burden to my family, still do. He was my family. My nights were absolute torture for some time, yes... and I went down to 80 lbs. The shock was immense and I had to immediately make changes if i didn't wish for my physical health to get worse. I've been under doctors care, drinking Ensure & Muscle Milks helped a lot when I couldn't eat (I wholeheartedly recommend getting a few cases) and slowly gained the weight back... a low dose sleep aid as well for the restless nights. It's going to take time. Now, physically, I do feel a lot better than I was, but emotionally, I'm still so very sad. I miss him dearly. The love doesn't fade, how could it? I so understand wishing it were you but not wanting to cause him the suffering, it's almost unworldly... many hugs to you dear.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
MichiganDaniel
7 hours ago, MTop said:

my heart is completely shattered and I feel lost.

The first weeks are the hardest. Our brains spend a lot of time keeping track of our loved ones and how they are doing. When someone is lost, our brains keep scanning and keep getting shocked over and over a gain. It will be six weeks ago for me tomorrow, and my brain still doesn’t know how to stop looking for her.

I’m glad you found this website. Our friends and family might not always understand the twilight that is now a part of us forever. The people here do.

Be gentle with yourself. Feel what you need to feel and say what you need to say. I’m so sorry that happened to you. Our brains do learn eventually, but it’s a painful reeducation.

I had a bad moment just a little while ago. I don’t want to have to learn to cope, to change, to relearn who I even am. I don’t like it, but when things get hard, I cry, or yell, or just lay down. Time will carry us, and already I can sometimes feel memories as joyful, and not another tear in my shreaded soul.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
1 hour ago, DanielInMichigan said:

The first weeks are the hardest. Our brains spend a lot of time keeping track of our loved ones and how they are doing. When someone is lost, our brains keep scanning and keep getting shocked over and over a gain. It will be six weeks ago for me tomorrow, and my brain still doesn’t know how to stop looking for her.

I’m glad you found this website. Our friends and family might not always understand the twilight that is now a part of us forever. The people here do.

Be gentle with yourself. Feel what you need to feel and say what you need to say. I’m so sorry that happened to you. Our brains do learn eventually, but it’s a painful reeducation.

I had a bad moment just a little while ago. I don’t want to have to learn to cope, to change, to relearn who I even am. I don’t like it, but when things get hard, I cry, or yell, or just lay down. Time will carry us, and already I can sometimes feel memories as joyful, and not another tear in my shreaded soul.

I am so incredibly sorry for your loss, it is very raw for you as well.  In reading your words, you seem so strong.  I pray that each day gets a bit easier for you.  You've given me great hope, thank you.  Sending you love and peace.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
4 hours ago, sweet n low said:

You're most welcome, I appreciate the support very very much too... It's a really difficult thing talking about this especially when you feel you have very little people in your life, I don't much either. It's still necessary work and by being here I know we're both working on making the right steps. I felt like such a burden to my family, still do. He was my family. My nights were absolute torture for some time, yes... and I went down to 80 lbs. The shock was immense and I had to immediately make changes if i didn't wish for my physical health to get worse. I've been under doctors care, drinking Ensure & Muscle Milks helped a lot when I couldn't eat (I wholeheartedly recommend getting a few cases) and slowly gained the weight back... a low dose sleep aid as well for the restless nights. It's going to take time. Now, physically, I do feel a lot better than I was, but emotionally, I'm still so very sad. I miss him dearly. The love doesn't fade, how could it? I so understand wishing it were you but not wanting to cause him the suffering, it's almost unworldly... many hugs to you dear.

I see a lot of similarities in our situation, my heart hurts for you.  I wish I had the answers, I feel lost and that I will feel like this forever.  I can't feel like this forever, I'll never survive.  I've invested in Ensure, I feel like I'm at least getting some calories that way.  Please take care of yourself and I will hold you in my thoughts.  I appreciate your insight immensely.  xo

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
9 hours ago, DWS said:

I understand being scared. I was too and I didn't know what I was scared of....perhaps just everything at that point. You are likely in shock right now. 

@MTopI was exactly how DWS describes. I still have moments of fear, but it's subsided from what it was. It's been 3 1/2 months for me. You have come to a good place to share your feelings. I am so sorry for your loss but glad you have found this forum. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, DanielInMichigan said:

when things get hard, I cry, or yell, or just lay down.

I remember going out in the woods and screaming at the top of my lungs!  I'm sure I scared off some bear and cougar!

1 hour ago, MTop said:

I've invested in Ensure

Good idea!

• Like 2

• Members
On 4/16/2023 at 8:43 AM, MTop said:

I don't think I will ever feel better again.  I just want to bury my head in the sand, I can't take this pain.

All of us on this board are very sorry for your loss. Right now, you're in shock; just as we've all been in the past. Please make this board part of your support group. I joined here 4 months ago and it has been a tremendous blessing! Lots of nice, sympathetic people here who will listen to you, console you and provide advice if you need it.

WELCOME!!!!

• Like 2

• Members

So sorry for your loss, I’m 7 weeks in after losing my partner (aged 51) suddenly.

Please be kind to yourself, you are still in shock and have been through a traumatic experience.  

let yourself grieve in whichever way you feel like, don’t push yourself to do things just for others.  I got a lot of comfort from being with his family as I felt connected to him when I was with him, but they live away from our lives together so I didn’t have many joint memories with him and them so that helped.

This forum genuinely does help, reading and hearing other people’s experiences makes you feel less alone and less insane.  No one else’s grief can match losing your partner (not saying it’s worse it’s just different) and it helps to know you aren’t alone.

take care of yourself 

• Like 4