Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

It's the emptiness

DWS

• Members
3 hours ago, LMR said:

It was a reminder of who I used to be. Now I am an empty shell.

It's amazing how a barrier or wall emerged between the life we knew before our loss and the one after. It's so blatant and apparent. Likely the best thing we can do is deal with how it is now rather than struggle with any attempt or desire to return to who we were....even though, we may have family and friends waiting for the previous us to be back. I am now someone who carries immense grief due to loss of my partner with all of the memories of what was. To return to the past me would involve getting rid of my grief. 

3 hours ago, LostThomas said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall reading from someone, and I think it was you, almost a preference for isolation.  You'll have to give me some latitude for the way I'm using that word.   I connected with that and it doesn't seem to be a prevailing view.

It likely was me preferring isolation. In all fairness, I'm a homebody type so the comfort of cocooning in my home has always been my preference although I also didn't mind occasional social outings and parties. But certainly now, isolation allows me to spend the needed time to contemplate, process, search for meaning...in essence, to honour the grief. Perhaps it'll enrich me. I live in a small old bungalow that seems to constantly demand my attention (for instance, a flooded basement last weekend) so in some strange way, the house has its way of taking me out of the heaviness of my grief. One could say it's just adding to the grief but I don't look at it that way. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
5 hours ago, DWS said:

I deal with the day with whatever life throws my way so I'm functioning and not completely defeated but the spark is missing.

It's been 8 months since I lost Chris and I often feel the same way. I seem to be "going through the motions" combined with a lack of enthusiasm for most anything. At this time, I really don't anticipate much joy for the foreseeable future. So, how do I cope?

- Luckily, I don't live alone. Also, having a pet is a blessing.

- I do have a hobby (sports card selling and collecting) which I try to attend to every day (right now I'd trade my whole collection to bring Chris back----yes, I'm bargaining again). I'm also a part-time scorekeeper for youth athletics in my town.

- I have a good support network of friends and family who I keep up with every week. One of my friends is a psychologist, another teaches grieving classes).

- Prayer to and faith in God.

- I have nice backyard; and when the weather is good, a nice cup of coffee and listening to all the birds helps my mind.

So, having mentioned all of this, I'm almost ashamed to admit that my first statement is how I feel. I guess when you love someone and their missing in your life, it's hard to re-boot your life and adjust to a new normal. The challenge continues................................

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Gator M said:

unwanted isolation is a killer.

And therein lies the difference. I think back to the beginning of the pandemic when they told us we couldn't go to family dinners on Easter, etc.  That's going overboard in my way of looking at it esp. for those of us living alone, always alone.  I went anyway.  I know different states treated it differently but that's how Gov. Kate Brown did in Oregon.  Thank God they didn't send the police out after us!

• Like 2

• Moderators
11 hours ago, maud said:

I do not know any introverts...I suppose I am still trying to understand the issue of lack of empathy

Making clear introverts are not lacking in empathy.  My son is very introverted yet one of the most thoughtful and caring people I know.
I believe I am more introverted the older I get but still find need to touch base with human contact.  Even just a wave or greeting from a neighbor helps me feel connected.  Today I'll be going to church.  One of the loneliest feelings in the world is to be surrounded by people yet disconnected.  I hope it won't be that way today.

11 hours ago, LostThomas said:

only to see the people that surrounded them disappear after someone's loss? 

This happened to me.  ALL of our friends disappeared overnight!  I could understand George's friends doing that somewhat but for mine to also was shocking and completely blindsiding.  I never would have done that to someone.  Introversion has nothing to do with it.  It is them not liking what we now represent, like it's contagious!  It's chicken and BS if you ask me. 

Grief has a way of rewriting your address book.
Friends who Stop Being Good Friends
Friends, letdown
Friendship: Why I No Longer Hold Onto Relationships That No Longer Serve Me

• Like 1

• Members

Oh yes, even though I'm an introvert, I do still need that contact once in a while. Going to a store, meeting a neighbour on the street, seeing family ocassionly, these are comforting experiences, yet I would rather be with my wife spending every minute with her. It's a lot harder being an extrovert without her by my side, there were no worries then, her presence gave me all the confidence  I needed.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

We're all individual and what we need/want at one time can change later on.

• Like 2

• Members
42 minutes ago, maud said:

Just wondering, what do you mean you're not a citizen of this world ?

Maud:  I think Gator M means he's a citizen of the Kingdom of Heaven (Kingdom of God). He can correct me on this if I'm wrong.

Maud, this song comes to mind (I Don't Feel At Home Anymore ----Loretta Lynn)

I would play the Beach Boys, "Til I Die" but the song is too depressing.....................something that only throws gas on the fire when talking about death.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

This song is about how we FEEL, not telling people what to believe.  It reminded me of what was being talked about is all.

• Moderators

Once you sell it, it's done.  You might want to give it more time to see if your feelings change, mine did, I no longer feel lonely in mine.  I miss George, I always will, but I am surrounded by memories of him and my kids and our pets.

• Like 4

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Deborah_M said:

I know it will be at least 2 years before I really put the house on the market.  Our economy is so unstable right now.  It will take me that long to decide what items I can part with.  Thanks for the reminder about the one year mark.  I really want to stay in OUR house, but I don't know how much longer I can stand the loneliness.

I suggest thinking long and hard about whether or not you'd feel less lonely in a different house. If you really want to stay, maybe you should. And I emphasize maybe. There are clear pros and cons to moving or not, both practical and totally emotional, and a case can be made for staying or moving of course. But as Kay said, tread carefully, because if you go, that's it...you can't move and say "oh this isn't better, I want to go back" because you can't. Just something to think about. I would err on the side of waiting for sure. 

• Like 2

• Members

I'm still in the same house we lived in, and I don't plan on moving. Yes, it might be too much for me, but I have to manage as best I can. Before my wife passed away, we had talked about moving when I retired to something more manageable and more user friendly for her with her health issues. Earlier in the year before she passed away, she told me she didn't want to move, and I told her that whatever made her happy, I was comfortable with. To me that is a strong reason to stay where I am, when I can't do it no more, then I will look into different options.

• Like 4