Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Sensory Overload?

HDee

• Members

I lost my husband  in Dec. 2021.  Live alone now, but I've been blessed with lots of good friends.  Due to Covid, and being my husband's caregiver, I have done very little in-person socialization...I mean restaurant lunches, dinners, day trips, etc.  But now I have started doing  these things, and I have noticed something.  Sometimes, after two or three hours of talking and listening to others...I come home drained and tired.  Last night we were a group of five dining out and I think I had sensory overload.  It's a mental, emotional and physical thing.  This has gotten a lot better when we're only two or three people, but last night with five (and one person was non-stop fast talking)...too much.

Anyone else experience this?

• Hugs 3

• Members

I get this too. It's a lot if work trying to act like you care when you have this other dialogue running through your head every minute of your day. Sometimes it can surprise you just how exhausted you are. 

Today our new rescue puppy bit me. He is very excitable and still learning. He wasn't being aggressive but I just wanted to sit down and cry. Lack of proper sleep and never being truly relaxed anymore take their toll.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Thank you for your responses.  I can see that what I feel when with more than two or three is not unique...and it's okay to feel that way,

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

HDee, 

I also get exhausted being around people. One couple that has been very close to me and my husband for over 40 years, always bicker with each other. I know they love each other and that this is just their way of being. But I really cannot stand being with them for more than an hour or so. It takes all my strength not to yell at them about their bickering. 

I know it is my emotional response related to my sweetie. I'd give anything to have another loving, kind conversation with him. I project my feelings onto their life and think 'you are going to remember and regret all these digs and jabs you are inflicting on your love'.  But I don't know that is true for them.  They have bickered for more than 40 years- it's just their way.  So I stiffle my desire to tell them they should stop.  After about 20 minutes I am planning my exit.  I am always exhausted when I leave.

You are not alone in feeling this way.

Gail

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
On 3/29/2023 at 11:30 AM, HDee said:

one person was non-stop fast talking

That has ALWAYS taxed and annoyed me, but anyway...

Early on I had almost no interaction with anyone and didn't much care, in fact thought probably for the best because I'm not much company. But over time that changed. Loneliness, especially when it's cranked up to 10, is one of the if not the most horrid feelings ever IMO. 

But the devil's in the details and bottom line go with whatever works for you. If you'd rather be alone at any given time, do it. If you want to get together with people, go and make it happen if you can. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
On 3/29/2023 at 8:30 AM, HDee said:

one person was non-stop fast talking

Yuck!  I've hated that my whole life.  I also get frustrated and annoyed with people who think it's perfectly fine to "talk over" and interrupt each other.  I don't like being in groups where a dozen or more people are having  4 or 5 loud conversations at the same time, all shouting over each other.  It's an assault on my ears/head and emotional state.  It always has been.

13 hours ago, HDee said:

I can see that what I feel when with more than two or three is not unique...and it's okay to feel that way,

Absolutely.  I just want to add that it's okay to feel however you feel.  Full stop.  Feelings do not need justification; feelings simply are what they are.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

The only place I feel comfortable with a lot of people is my church, but it's small and like a family.  Years ago I attended one that had 5,000 in attendance at any one time, so under 100 is more familial to me.  Not sure what our attendance is, maybe 60-80?

• Like 2

• Moderators

Oh it was extremely hard for me when I lost George!  It was very much "our church." I help lead morning worship and am on the platform, where I could always see his smiling face and support.  When he died I saw an empty spot where he always sat...even worse was when someone started sitting there.  I moved to the other side of the church after I'd get done with leading singing, have never sat in the same spot again. He always sat near the door, I always teased him about wanting a quick exit. :D But truth is he had social anxiety. 

• Hugs 2