Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Mattie May

Janus J

• Members

My little cocker spaniel, Mattie May, age16 1/2 years, died on Dec. 26th. Although I had tried to prepare myself for the inevitable, I am really broken up and having a difficult time. It was just her and me all these years and we were completely devoted to each other. Being an artist, I work from a home studio so I had her with me and she had me with her all the time. She was an art dog, watching me and participating in whatever event in which I was involved. I made all the decisions in my life based on her. Oh, she had such a great sense of humor and was so funny, a very social dog, unspoiled and almost human acting. It is very hard being alone and many people do not really understand what it means to lose what I term my best friend and love of my life.

She had great quality of life most of the time. However, in July her throat became paralyzed and she was unable to breathe. I grabbed her and sped wildly to the vet. He eventually performed a tracheotomy and she very well. We had the initial difficulties one can expect but Mattie adjusted as did I, although I do believe the event aged her.

She was active and involved in life until Dec. 24th in the evening when she began to have difficulty walking. On Xmas day, our vet, who happens to be a good friend, came over and checked her out. I had a terrible feeling even though he suggested one last treatment. We tried that treatment, and by morning I knew it was time to say goodbye so as she did not suffer. She was resting comfortably if she didn't have to move or walk, was very alert, engaging, and cognizant, even washing her paws. But the minute she moved it was terrible for her. So our vet came to the house and Mattie laid her head down on her paw. She was peaceful and seemed to know she was going to die. He administered the dose and she was gone. I have been experiencing tremendous grief.

It has been almost 3 weeks now, but it stills feels like she was here just yesterday. All the spots where she reclined are so vastly empty, there is no one waiting to greet me when I come home. I take my walks alone and work in my studio without her watching and waiting for the next meal. I miss her terribly. She was incredibly special.

Thank you for listening. Janus

post-297997-0-03509400-1326676560_thumb.

post-297997-0-06342100-1326676705_thumb.

post-297997-0-61494500-1326676825_thumb.

• Members

My little cocker spaniel of 16 1/2 years died on Dec. 26th. Although I had tried to prepare myself for the inevitable, I am really broken up and having a difficult time. It was just her and me all these years and we were completely devoted to each other. Being an artist, I work from a home studio so I had her with me and she had me with her all those years. She was an art dog watching me. she had a great sense of humor and was so funny. It is very hard being alone and many people do not really understand what it means to lose what I term my best friend and love of my life.

She had great quality of life most of the time. However, in July her throat became paralyzed and she was unable to breathe. I grabbed her and sped wildly to the vet. He eventually performed a tracheotomy and she very well. We had the initial difficulties one can expect but Mattie adjusted as did I, although I do believe the event aged her. She was good until Dec. 24th in the evening when she began to have difficulty walking. On Xmas day, our vet, who happens to be a good friend, came over and checked her out. I had a terrible feeling even though he suggested one last treatment. We tried that treatment, and by morning I knew it was time to say goodbye. She was resting comfortably if she didn't have to move or walk, was very alert and cognizant, even washing her paws. But the minute she moved it was terrible for her. So our vet came to the house and Mattie laid her head down on her paw. She didn't fight him or me, she was peaceful and seemed to know she was going to die. He administered the dose and she was gone. I have been experiencing tremendous grief.

It has been almost 3 weeks now, but it stills feels like she was here just yesterday. All the spots where she reclined are so vastly empty, there is no one waiting to greet me when I come home. I miss her terribly.

Janus...I am sorry for the loss of your sweet pet and very dear friend. I too am a devout dog lover. I now have a lovely black lab that is almost twelve years old. She has been very sick these past four months and we have worked very hard to buy her some precious quality time. I know her days are numbered as well. and I face a similiar decision such as yours. You definitely did the right thing. Your friend and vet would not let you down. They guided you in helping her along. She will not have to suffer any longer. I have been through the difficult trauma of deciding when to put a beloved pet down years ago.. They are so unconditionally faithful. They see nothing but the good in us. We are so fortunate for the time that we were able to share together. I know this is hard and you feel the absence of her presence but when the loss becomes a little less painful you will remember fondly the memories of great times together that you shared.

• Members

Thank you so much for responding. It was strange, I always wondered how "it" would happen and when it did, it seemed very right, very peaceful. Before then she was doing alright, could walk although not fast (she was a little old lady), ate well, etc. When she wouldn't eat for me, I knew.

I'm still getting to know the forum, so hope to see you around. Thanks a lot. The last few days have been really hard. Janus

• Members

This is mainly to Janus. I just recently lost me beloved Rusty on boxing day last year too and it was the hardest decision I ever had to make whether to put him down that day or hang onto him a bit longer but my mum and I had no choice because he was no longer eating and whatever he did eat he just vomited it out and he kept having diorrhea. We only learned of his chronic renal failure just one week before his death and he spent five of those 7 days he had left in the hospital with a drip which we hoped would improve his condition but it was too late for him as 75%. of his kidneys had already been damaged. The vet advised us to put him down that fifth day but we wanted to bring him home with us to spend his last days left where he was most comfortable and familiar and to also say goodbye to Patch our other dog who is the same age as Rusty. Rusty would have been 17 years old this March if he had survived. It didn't help matters that Rusty also had heart problems but it was being controlled with medications. It is unfair for him to die this way because he was really a good boy for all his life and even till the end he never made a mess where he shouldn't have even when he was sick. I still cry hard when I think about him and the house is not the same without him roaming around. I am angry with myself and the vet for not being able to pick up the early signs that he was seriously sick and that he was probably dying slowly for all these months but we never knew it. I feel your pain and sometimes I want to die so I can see him again but it would not be fair to my other dog Patch and to my mother who too is grieving for Rusty.

• Members
1326676448' post='82819']

My little cocker spaniel, Mattie May, age16 1/2 years, died on Dec. 26th. Although I had tried to prepare myself for the inevitable, I am really broken up and having a difficult time. It was just her and me all these years and we were completely devoted to each other. Being an artist, I work from a home studio so I had her with me and she had me with her all the time. She was an art dog, watching me and participating in whatever event in which I was involved. I made all the decisions in my life based on her. Oh, she had such a great sense of humor and was so funny, a very social dog, unspoiled and almost human acting. It is very hard being alone and many people do not really understand what it means to lose what I term my best friend and love of my life.

She had great quality of life most of the time. However, in July her throat became paralyzed and she was unable to breathe. I grabbed her and sped wildly to the vet. He eventually performed a tracheotomy and she very well. We had the initial difficulties one can expect but Mattie adjusted as did I, although I do believe the event aged her.

She was active and involved in life until Dec. 24th in the evening when she began to have difficulty walking. On Xmas day, our vet, who happens to be a good friend, came over and checked her out. I had a terrible feeling even though he suggested one last treatment. We tried that treatment, and by morning I knew it was time to say goodbye so as she did not suffer. She was resting comfortably if she didn't have to move or walk, was very alert, engaging, and cognizant, even washing her paws. But the minute she moved it was terrible for her. So our vet came to the house and Mattie laid her head down on her paw. She was peaceful and seemed to know she was going to die. He administered the dose and she was gone. I have been experiencing tremendous grief.

It has been almost 3 weeks now, but it stills feels like she was here just yesterday. All the spots where she reclined are so vastly empty, there is no one waiting to greet me when I come home. I take my walks alone and work in my studio without her watching and waiting for the next meal. I miss her terribly. She was incredibly special.

Janus,I am so very sorry for the loss of your beloved pet. As I read your story, the deep love and bond you shared with Mattie May was so evident. I am also an artist and a creative person. I have often told my kids and husband that animals have to be able to "love" if they can experience other emotions such as jealousy. I believe Mattie May loved you and the special bond you had with her was evident of the love, and loyalty. My daughter died in 2007. I was so devastated and only recently found my way to this site. But what I wanted to say was that our whole family was devastated. My son was deeply grieving and in pain. Someone gave him this little dog "Henry." Henry became the light of our house. A house that held no joy, but only pain, suddenly found joy and laughter in the antics of Henry. Henry and the joy and exuberance he showed for life touched my son and helped him, helped all of us tremendously. It was like Henry was a little angel God had sent into our lives to ease our hurt and pain. Over a year later and Henry has become my "grand dog." my husband and I take him to the dog park and get him chicken nuggets at McDonald's. This touches my 20 year old son's heart and I know he is glad he insisted he be able to keep Henry as he sees how much Henry has helped our family. I know one day Henry will no longer be here, but like you, I know already it will be very difficult because of all that Henry has done for our family just by being himself. I pray you find solace and comfort from your pain, perhaps your art may help. May Mattie May continue to live on in your heart and mind for the wonderful, loyal, faithful companion she was.Maddy

Archived