Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Stuck in guilt

MichiganDaniel

• Moderators

The what ifs blame game happens to most of us going through early grief, it did me when my husband died nearly 18 years ago...it's not that we are guilty of anything but loving them, and the truth is feelings are not facts, but it's that we can't wrap our heads around what happened, and our mind is trying to find some different possible outcome so it searches all the what ifs...

https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2012/03/guilt-and-regret-in-grief.html

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
18 hours ago, DanielInMichigan said:

I posted this to get it out, but also to give love and support to all of you if you find yourself wishing you could have said or done things differently. Maybe we could have. Maybe it would have made all the difference. Or maybe those are just nice dreams. I honestly don’t know. 

Many of us (including myself) have had these thoughts go through our heads since our loved ones passed away (I could have, I would have, I should have). Based on readings, what others have told me and examining my our conscience it's taken me awhile but I've come to this conclusion: WE ALL DID AS BEST AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE. This means that in the process of panicking, worrying and listening to the doctors and nurses, we tried to make the best decisions we could with the information we had to work with at that very moment. We made our "best" decisions at the time out of love. Did we sometimes make errors along the way? Did we sometimes forget things (like masks)? Sure we did! But neither were we intentionally careless. There's an old saying, "BETTER MISTAKES OF ERROR THAN MISTAKES OF INDIFFERENCE."

When my wife was fighting leukemia and losing weight in the process, I researched and was able to locate a cancer nutritionist in our area. After an expensive phone consultation, she recommended (among other things) including more avocados in her diet. She tried that and within a couple of days she had terrible rashes breaking out all over her stomach area. At the time I felt terrible that I made things worse. She was already suffering enough. I didn't need to add to it. Her rashes eventually cleared in in two weeks. I apologized many times to my wife but she never was angry at me because she knew it was a MISTAKE OF ERROR on my part. Prior to that she had eaten avocado 30 or 40 years ago with no symptoms. I guess her body chemistry had changed because of the leukemia, but who knew that?

If we were the ones needing care, do you think our loved ones would have made mistakes? My guess is YES........but out of error, not indifference. FORGIVE YOURSELF....

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
16 hours ago, RichS said:

There's an old saying, "BETTER MISTAKES OF ERROR THAN MISTAKES OF INDIFFERENCE."

I hadn't heard this before!  But I have to agree, at least we cared, we tried.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, LostThomas said:

I am unable to talk about the trauma of my sudden and devastating loss.   I am not even willing to take that to counseling.

If/when you are ready.  Otherwise, give yourself grace.  I remember a hymn, "In His Time" that came to mind...

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, DanielInMichigan said:

Sadly, no. She did not deserve that. Later, my dear wife, lying on a gurney, uncomfortable, sick and afraid, was telling the nurses that I loved her and just wanted to take care of her.

Which I suspect either at the time or in hindsight the nurses understood. Surely you're not the first person to lose your temper in such a situation. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Guilt and regret are common dance partners of grief, so thought this was well worth a bump. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 3/22/2023 at 3:51 AM, KayC said:

The what ifs blame game happens to most of us going through early grief, it did me when my husband died nearly 18 years ago...it's not that we are guilty of anything but loving them, and the truth is feelings are not facts, but it's that we can't wrap our heads around what happened, and our mind is trying to find some different possible outcome so it searches all the what ifs...

https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2012/03/guilt-and-regret-in-grief.html

• Like 1