Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Carrying grief vs burying grief

DWS

• Members

@LostThomas I have the exact same feelings. I'm only 5 weeks in and my grieving hasn't yielded in the least. Vickie was my everything and I can't imagine a day in the future she will not be in my heart and on my mind. I took am damaged but not back to as much daily function as you seem to be. I'm still praying for the day I can think and talk about her without the flow of tears. That alone would be a big step forward for me.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members

I just passed my 7th month without Chris and I'm feeling everything all of you are feeling. I'm functioning for sure (I have to); but my joys are quick and minimal and "going through the motions" seems to be my daily motto. My psychologist friend has already picked up on that.

DWS, you know what set me off with tears last week? AN ALARM CLOCK........I've already written about this in a previous post. Another friend of mine (a grief counselor) keeps on reminding me that YOU DON'T HAVE TO FIND GRIEF. IT WILL FIND YOU. Mine feels like a sudden thundershower coming out of no where.

I'm told by those who have been lost their loved ones much longer ago than me that you move forward but you never move on. That applies to those of us on this board who refuse to buy into the "GET OVER IT STRATEGY." Again, my friend tells me that it will get better over time. The funny thing he says, is that over time (however long that is for each of us), you will basically do nothing. It will evolve into a more manageable feeling. The pain will always be there, be it will be more manageable. Don't ask me how I got there because I'm not there myself; not even close.

Thomas, you say you're a damaged man. Just my observation, but I've noticed some positive movement in your posts. You're still hurting. We all are; but I'm noticing that your coping (hard as it may be for you and all of us), has shown some progress. And do you know what is causing that? THIS BOARD!!!!, that's what! It has been a "life raft" for all of us. You coined that phrase and you're SPOT ON!!! We are each others' friends who get what we're all going through, when so many outside of this board don't get it or don't want to get it because they can't face our pain. So DWS, I agree with your last sentence: It's a combination of both. In fact, I don't think we can consciously bury it, but talking to folks further along this journey than me, with time comes greater acceptable, some healing and somewhat less pain than what we're all going through now.

Again, I'll let you all know how it feels when I get there...............

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

There is a book titled "Grief is Love". I think the title sums it up.

• Like 2

• Members

I don't think there is a way to bury your grief, without forcefully eradicates something of yours...

For me the key word is "to integrate"...with time you learn how to carry on your grief with you, your partner inside you..he becomes part of you!

And not against you as it is in early times...

And what you can integrate, it doesn't hurt so bad anymore... 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
15 minutes ago, Gator M said:

My prayers for everyone here is that we all find peace and a comfort with our grief and that one day we'll ALL join our loved ones... and hopefully each other. 

This isn't my last post on this board; but if it were, you Gator M, made the perfect sign off. And I would recite this quote word for word.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
14 hours ago, DWS said:

I think I discovered a bit of an answer to the question of what it's meant to carry our grief. We may slowly pick up the pieces as the months and years go by but we also will carry an invisible suitcase containing the grief.  There may be some days where we can function fairly well  with that suitcase nearby but it stays closed. We know it's there and in some ways, it gives us comfort knowing it's there...

Wow I admire your ability to look at it that way. I always envisioned it as a boulder strapped to my back...and it has NEVER given me comfort, only pain. I hate the damn thing with the burning passion of a thousand suns. The upside is that over time I have developed stronger "muscles" as I've carried it, so it doesn't seem nearly as heavy as it did early on. Or maybe another way to look at it is that over time it has gotten smaller, but I know it will never go away. So IMO no, you can't bury it, just get better at carrying it along. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
19 hours ago, LostThomas said:

I know I'm a damaged man now

Kintsugi (also known as Kiintsukuroi is the Japanese art of repairing broken pottery. If a bowl is broken, rather than discarding the pieces, the fragments are put back together with a glue-like tree sap and the cracks are adorned with gold. There are no attempts to hide the damage, instead, it is highlighted

kintsugi.JPG

• Like 4

• Members
54 minutes ago, KayC said:

Except you can't, so that's not an option. 

I don't know if you remember someone popping onto this site late last summer. He had lost his wife after 30plus years of marriage. He was very saddened but told us that he was only going to grieve for three months and after that, said that he'd be moving on. He was in his early 60s and had to tell us all that he still had some living to do. I didn't bother to comment and those that did gave him respectful condolences and no arguments. 

I remember that moment clearly. It left me wondering what was his point in joining a specific site for grieving and telling us his plan. Was he looking for a battle? Looking to argue with someone that would dare suggest that he give grief more time than that? Was it his way of trying to prompt the rest of us to do something similar...set a definite timeline for grief and then move on? I wondered whether, after initially reading some of the topics here, his ego got the better of him which resulted in him getting on a high horse and telling the world "nope...not me. I will not spend my life in sorrow. To hell with that!"

And I can agree a bit with some of that valiance. I don't want the rest of my life to be in complete darkness of despair due to this loss but that doesn't mean to run in a total opposite direction. 

• Like 3

• Members
46 minutes ago, DWS said:

I don't know if you remember someone popping onto this site late last summer. He had lost his wife after 30plus years of marriage. He was very saddened but told us that he was only going to grieve for three months and after that, said that he'd be moving on. He was in his early 60s and had to tell us all that he still had some living to do. I didn't bother to comment and those that did gave him respectful condolences and no arguments. 

I remember that moment clearly. It left me wondering what was his point in joining a specific site for grieving and telling us his plan. Was he looking for a battle? Looking to argue with someone that would dare suggest that he give grief more time than that? Was it his way of trying to prompt the rest of us to do something similar...set a definite timeline for grief and then move on? I wondered whether, after initially reading some of the topics here, his ego got the better of him which resulted in him getting on a high horse and telling the world "nope...not me. I will not spend my life in sorrow. To hell with that!"

And I can agree a bit with some of that valiance. I don't want the rest of my life to be in complete darkness of despair due to this loss but that doesn't mean to run in a total opposite direction. 

I do remember that post very well.  I wasn't sure what to think of it, and honestly I still don't.  Although, I did meet a woman who reminded me of that post.

Two months after Paul died, I was fortunate to find a grief support group, run by a non-profit group in our county, that meets close to my house.  I started going to it right before Christmas 2021.  It only meets once a month, and I've noticed that people come and go.  Some only come for one  meeting.  Others have been there every month for years.  One woman came to the meeting in  Feb of 2022.  She attended meetings for a couple of months, and then we didn't see her again.  She came back in the summer, and when it was time for her to talk to the group, she told us that this would be her last meeting.  She had decided she was okay now, and had gotten over her grief.  Nobody challenged her, and we all wished her well.  The moderator told her that we'd be here if she needed us.   I still can't understand how she just decided she was okay. 

• Like 4

• Members
29 minutes ago, Carol34 said:

She attended meetings for a couple of months, and then we didn't see her again.  She came back in the summer, and when it was time for her to talk to the group, she told us that this would be her last meeting.  She had decided she was okay now, and had gotten over her grief.

There's a part of that that's a bit amusing. You have to wonder just what type of barometer one uses that says they're okay again. I do know that I have a sister and a couple of friends who would just love for me to bellow that I'm all better now. If there is such a barometer, my reading is stuck on @RichS response..."depressed but functioning". We'll see if that needle moves much in my year two!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
31 minutes ago, maud said:

I WISH everyone who knew John would bring out good feelings in me by their words and memories of John,

One of the hardest things I find on a day to day basis is that nobody ever says his name. If I recount a memory all I get in response is a grunt, or silence.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Yes, I thought that but then when I start to talk about him (calmly) and get absolutely no response I rather feel it's a case of them thinking, " oh no, not again", like they've heard enough.

I am into my third year so I imagine a lot of people think I should be doing better. In point of fact the last three months have been some of the hardest. It's as if we have been separated for some reason but  I'm expecting him home. As the time goes on I miss him more each day.  After 47 years together I don't want a life that he isn't part of.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
15 hours ago, DWS said:

I remember that. I tried to as tactfully as possible explain that you can't put a timeline on such things...I don't recall his reaction exactly, but I don't think he accepted that.

• Like 4

• Moderators
21 hours ago, DWS said:

He had lost his wife after 30plus years of marriage. He was very saddened but told us that he was only going to grieve for three months and after that, said that he'd be moving on.

At that point he couldn't know what he'd go through and it remains to be seen if he was successful with it or not but more power to him!  When I was newly grieving I was still in shock and had not a clue what was ahead...

And perhaps his idea of grief is different than mine. ;) I have learned to carry mine inside of me...it no longer consumes me as it once did, I'm able to function and live my life but it's always a part of me, just and continuing to love and miss George is.  But oh God that took time to get there!  (and not merely three months, either!)

21 hours ago, LostThomas said:

I could tell you stories you would not believe. 

And I do remember a lady (Florence) who'd been married to a wife-beater alcoholic.  I doubt she grieved him a day!  I didn't blame her.  She felt relief!  Rejuvenated!  Set free!  And I really can't blame her...it's a sad tribute to someone who lived their life selfishly and was abusive to her.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
20 hours ago, Gator M said:

My wife and I facilitated a Divorce Care group for years.  This was very common...they many times returned when they realized it's not that easy.

I will add...For me...the death of a spouse is far more crippling than divorce.  IMHO

I have to agree.  I went through a horrid divorce after 23 years of marriage, the church kicked me out, changed the locks, hired someone to "rid the church of me."  She later told me I'd been involved with everything!  Yes, I was, and this was the thanks I got for it?  I gave my son my master key to return to them and he informed me it wasn't necessary, they'd changed the locks.  What?!  Because of ME???!  I couldn't believe it!  It took me years and a lot of healing to deal with the damage done to me in that divorce, by the things he'd told people, but nothing, and I mean NOTHING compares to losing George!  23 years of marriage to Paul didn't equal one day with George!  He was my soulmate, my life partner, my best friend!  I could never say that of Paul.  And now it's been 23 years since that divorce, it's over, done with, kaput!  But George...never!

Just how I feel...

20 hours ago, Sparky1 said:

she said she had lost her husband only 3 months ago. I'm thinking to myself, wow, here I am at about 6 months of loss and this woman was so nonchalant about her loss.

Quite honestly, because not every relationship is the same.  Had I lost Paul, my grief would not have been the same as losing George.  Quite honestly, people would have been supportive but you can't lose what you never had, you know what I mean?

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Boggled said:

"complicated" grief. 

That's a psyche term for a grief that involves other issues, nothing more, nothing less.
Complicated Grief (now known as Prolonged Grief Disorder or PGD
Complicated Grief?
It can be being in love with someone who is married or to someone abusive, it could be anything.

• Like 2

• Members
On 3/19/2023 at 6:22 AM, KayC said:

That's a psyche term for a grief that involves other issues, nothing more, nothing less.
Complicated Grief (now known as Prolonged Grief Disorder or PGD
Complicated Grief?
It can be being in love with someone who is married or to someone abusive, it could be anything.

I was kind of blindsided earlier this week when, towards the end of my grief therapy session, my therapist mentioned that next time we chat, we will go over some of the questions that are asked when diagnosing prolonged grief! Our sessions are monthly over the phone (my choice) and I've looked forward to them because they have been helpful. I find it nice just having her attention to my thoughts and all of my pain...but with her mentioning prolonged grief and complicated grief, I feel a bit of betrayal. I'm now left wondering if she thinks I'm not progressing or something (??!!) 

I've told her that I eat and sleep fine. I exercise daily. I'm meeting the needs of my workday with my small business. As far as I'm concerned, I'm functioning basically like I was before Tom's passing but I'm in deep sorrow and I do find comfort in isolation. My therapist knows this. In our session, she used the metaphor of the caterpillar cocooning and I rather like that comparison....so why bring up the idea of this grief being prolonged? And we both have discussed the concept of "carrying grief" so how does one carry grief without being accused of being in "prolonged" or "complicated" grief??? I certainly have questions for her in our next session. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
25 minutes ago, maud said:

The deep sorrow....I don't see a timeframe for that...we feel what we feel, and it will undulate, maybe softly, maybe more intensely at times.  

Those are my thoughts exactly and it's one of those views that I remain strong with. Our culture encourages us and tells us to pick up the pieces, keep going, move along, etc but, as I've mentioned here many times, I'll be damned to do that and give a big, bright smile too! And if "they" (ie. grief therapists, counsellors, etc) want to encourage the idea of carrying our grief, they can't also then turn around and talk about placing a time limit on that.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I don't know how I'm faring with "carrying" grief...the days of intense shock and denial have subsided, still having those moments but they are gentler. I'm functioning, eating, walking, chores... so I'm doing well there, the days of not being able to swallow anything because of my sobbing have passed. The days of that last image of him , those are infrequent now thankfully. I can bring that image to mind but in the early days it forced itself upon me unwillingly. Right now I feel I am in "adapting" state. Adapting to everything. My environment, people, eating enough, necessities of maintaining a home and property I am not equipped for, isolation, my fears...

EVERYTHING. If I break it down and keep it small, I can get through it sometimes. But I have to keep it contained and deal with moments and pieces of this changed life. Maybe adapting to a point of some comfort and ease, maybe then I can understand how to carry grief . Right now I don't know if I'm carrying it or hiding from it. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

maud:  Based on what you say, it sounds like you're transitioning to a "gentler" form of grief. I'm only in this for 7 months and feel that I've got a ways to go before I start to feel that way.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
1 hour ago, LostThomas said:

But when it comes to carrying grief, I'm still trying to figure out how best to do that.

I think all of us here on this board are trying to figure that out as well. Some days I feel like talking about it. Other days I don't. Right now this board is helping me to express my feelings and offer encouragement where I can. I'm comfortable staying at home most of the time; but I don't want to get too comfortable to the point where I begin to isolate myself too much. My son is keeping an eye out on me.

Sorry that you're forced to move; but at least you've anticipated needing some time to adjust to your new surroundings. If I remember, you'll be living closer to your daughter, correct? That in itself should bring you some comfort as well.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
1 hour ago, RichS said:

Based on what you say, it sounds like you're transitioning to a "gentler" form of grief. I'm only in this for 7 months and feel that I've got a ways to go before I start to feel that way.

@RichS oh Rich, I truly hope so. My meltdowns seem to be closer to once a week. I think maybe one of the reasons for that is I'm usually in constant fear, worry, panic and stress and those do battle with grief and sometimes override it. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

maud:  Though our paths are different, we're all on this journey together. Let's pray that God will give us continued strength. He's done that for us so far...................

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
1 hour ago, maud said:

@RichS . . .  I'm usually in constant fear, worry, panic and stress . . .

Maud, 

You are not alone in feeling this way. I was afraid of everything after my husband died.  Being alone in this world was terrifying. The list of possible horrible things that might befall me was endless. They were all possible, you could read stories of it happening to someone everyday in the news.  Physical assault, home invasion, con artists swindling old women out of their life savings, illness, injury, natural disasters. My mind could, and did, conjure up an endless stream of horribles.

It was exhausting being in fear all the time.  I am sure it all stemmed from him being gone.  Together we could face anything.  Alone I felt I couldn't possibly survive. 

Eventually my fear subsided.  Each year that went by sort of proved that I could survive.  Although all these horrible things could potentially impact me, none of them actually occurred. Hurricane seasons came and went and my house still stood. No flimflam person or internet troll stole my savings.  Knock on wood, no illness or accident happened.  

I feel very fortunate. 

I am of course aware that hardships in many forms could still be in my future, but I am no longer living in that constant stress of impending doom. 

If some actual catastrophe occurs, I will deal with that issue the best I can.  But I am not living in fear of dozens of terrible things that might happen. 

Conquering these fears was helped by focusing on just today.  All these fears were possibilities in the future, but none of them were real issues I had to deal with today. 

I didn't find this forum until 2 and a half years after my husband died. I was living in fear all that time.  I wish I had found it sooner. 

Focus on what is really on your plate today and do your best to tell your mind to stop tormenting you with possibilities that may never occur. 

Gail

• Like 3

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

Focus on what is really on your plate today and do your best to tell your mind to stop tormenting you with possibilities that may never occur.

Amen!

11 hours ago, LostThomas said:

But here's the difference, it was a breakdown of gratitude, that I'm going to be safe, somewhere I want to be, and that Abbey will be happy there. 

I am so glad for you! It sounds like a good move for you both.:wub:

• Like 1

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Gator M said:

They say wait at least 1 year on any big decisions...IF you can.

Sometimes circumstances dictate otherwise, and sometimes we have to extend that first year to a few more.  It's a rule of thumb, not law.  I've seen people get into relationships right after losing their partner of 40 years!  Sometimes it works out, sometimes not.  I personally recommend getting used to living alone first and giving yourself time to grieve but that's just my gleaned wisdom for what it's worth.  As for moving, sometimes it's a necessity as someone can't afford where they're at now that their income has been cut in half.  Sometimes a vehicle needs replaced...if you know your brain isn't up to such major decisions, take along a trusted friend who can help you.  I would definitely do that.

• Like 1

• Members
On 3/24/2023 at 12:44 PM, maud said:

@DWS 

When you get some answers in your next session, please share. To be able to function as you are is so promising to hear. The deep sorrow....I don't see a timeframe for that..we feel what we feel, and it will undulate, maybe softly, maybe more intensely at times. Everything in life has to be labelled and categorized, black and white. But life is not black and white and sorrow is different for everyone, every moment of sorrow is different as well, in time it might lessen for some, it might not. So I'm curious as to your therapist's thoughts on prolonged sorrow. Are there any answers? Because I'm having a day loaded with unanswerable questions. 

I had another grief therapy session yesterday but we didn't go through any list of questions pertaining to prolonged and complicated grief. I'm assuming she forgot about mentioning that as it was just a quick thought of hers at the end of our last session. But I brought it up halfway through yesterday's chat to get her thoughts on how we carry grief without it being accused of having "complicated grief" and I'd have to say that it sort of stumped her! She basically admitted that at some point, we do need to put aside our grief as a necessity to move forward onto whatever it is we move forward toward. She mentioned that we can incorporate our loved one's legacy and memory into that. I suppose that does seem reasonable but admittedly, it doesn't fully sit well with me. I think it'll be up to myself to figure this all out. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
19 minutes ago, DWS said:

But I brought it up halfway through yesterday's chat to get her thoughts on how we carry grief without it being accused of having "complicated grief" and I'd have to say that it sort of stumped her!

I'm not suggesting how your counselor should do their job, but at your next session I would gently remind them that this topic is important to you and something that you're looking for advice on. 

• Like 4

• Moderators
6 hours ago, DWS said:

it doesn't fully sit well with me. I think it'll be up to myself to figure this all out. 

And believe me, I get that!  It wouldn't set well with me either and doesn't sound right.  I understand trying to lay your grief aside while you work (IF one can!) but honestly, it's important to allow ourselves to grieve.  Not sure I'd be back if it was me. ;)

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1