Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Anyone have any good book/TV/movie recs about loss?

a.erin

• Members

I've been a huge crybaby lately and found that reading books or watching movies/TV shows about death has helped give me dedicated time to release those feelings so I'm not crying at the office lol. Lately, I've been watching a lot of Reservations Dogs, which is a comedy-drama on Hulu about a group of Indigenous teens tryna live their lives following their friend Daniel taking his own life. Norwegian Wood is a book by Haruki Murakami that's also about a young college student living in Tokyo in the 1960's and dealing with his friend recently taking his own life. And it's not exclusively about someone passing on, but the song "Talia" by King Princess is an indie pop song that really gets the tears flowing for me.

Does anyone else have any pieces of media helping them through their loss? I'm interested in hearing what other people are turning to to cope.

• Moderators

This probably goes back way before your time, but I recently came across this episode of Little House on the Prairie on the TV which really hit home and was so well done: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0633105/ Maybe you can rent it on Amazon?

As for movies, frankly I've seen numerous ones about grief and was underwhelmed every time. Hollywood sucks at dealing with this. 

I did buy a "Chicken Soup" book that focused on grieving and had some good stories FWIW.

• Like 1

• Members

It's wonderful that you've found solace in books and movies during difficult times. Loss can be a heavy burden, and these outlets can provide a way to process emotions.
If you ever feel like taking a break from emotionally intense content, you can also explore new release movies in theaters for a change of pace and genre. Sometimes, a different story can offer a fresh perspective and provide moments of distraction and enjoyment.
Coping with loss is a deeply personal journey, and it's great to hear how various forms of media can be a source of comfort. If you're ever in the mood for more recommendations, feel free to ask.