Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

After 8 days of searching I found my poor cat dead.

Dust1n

• Members

My cat went missing on valentines day. He was mostly an indoors cat whom we let out from time to time when he wanted. Usually he only went out to hang out on the porch and soak in the sun. I have always been vigilant about checking on him as I greatly enjoyed and needed his company. I went outside only an hour or so later to hang out in the yard myself but didn't see him and got worried and searched and called for him to no luck. I spent the next 8 days searching every day and talking to neighboors and calling for him night and day with no luck. Yesterday out of the cornor of my eye in a spot I had already checked many times I saw a dead cat and my heart sank. It wasn't my cat but his stray dad who also was sweet if not a little wild. He was in awful shape and was hard to look at but I knew I'd find my cat nearby since they went missing the same time. After a little bit of searching I found him laying lifeless and his body decayed and aged. It is a blessing that he didn't appear to be grusemly wounded as the other cat but it crushed me to find him in such a state regardless. I am glad that at least I did finally find him and bring him home, I only wish that he would have been alive on his return trip. I'm struggling right now to do anything, he was only an 8 month old kitten but in that time he had became a part of every daily activity I did. He was always curious what I was doing and loved for me to cradle him and cuddle him. I am in a very rocky period in my life and really relied on his comfort to give me the energy to get through out the day. Being in the house now and seeing his absence is crushing and I'm not sure how to get myself back together. I know I have to go forward but I dread leaving what I loved behind. My stomach churns at losing such a beautiful precious thing from this world. I had not known what such joy a small creature could give me. I will forever remember my little Achilles.

IMG_20230130_154332338.jpg

• Like 1

• Members
2 hours ago, KayC said:

I am so sorry for your loss!  One does not expect to lose their 8 month old cat.  Do you live in harsh weather?  I'm curious what could have struck them both enough to kill them.

Comfort for Grieving Animal Lovers

I believe it was my neighboors roaming dogs that killed both of them. It seemed like the dad cat took the brunt of the attack while my cat suffered minimally. I am grateful my cat did not go out alone and at least had a companion with him. Had I known just how vicious those dogs were I would have never let my cat out, but he'd been out and about with the other cats for those 8 months prior with no incidents of any kind. I had known them to kill kittens but that's something dogs often do mistakingly when trying to play, I just didn't realize for these dogs it was the drive to hunt.

• Sad 2

• Moderators

I am so sorry, I think you need to let the neighbors know so they can contain them, sounds like no fence?  So hard.  :(

• Like 1

• Members
7 hours ago, KayC said:

I am so sorry, I think you need to let the neighbors know so they can contain them, sounds like no fence?  So hard.  :(

Agreed. Dogs should not be free roaming like that! 

On 2/23/2023 at 7:46 AM, Dust1n said:

I know I have to go forward but I dread leaving what I loved behind. My stomach churns at losing such a beautiful precious thing from this world. I had not known what such joy a small creature could give me. I will forever remember my little Achilles.

Yes, you will need to find your way forward, but please don’t feel you should rush it. Achilles will be in your heart forever. Try not to think of it as leaving him behind, but carrying him with you in your heart and mind. The joy you gave each other absolutely is valuable and precious.

Those who haven’t experienced the pure, honest, unconditional love of a special animal companion cannot always fathom how deeply they become part of our lives. But for us, it makes the loss that much harder.  Some people probably won’t understand why you’re grieving like this. We do.

Like Kay, I believe the Rainbow Bridge exists, though almost certainly not in the way our limited human minds envision it. I have faith that your Achilles and his dad are there now, together, healthy and strong. And I have faith that someday, when it’s your time, sweet Achilles will be there to welcome you again with a loving heart. I hope you can believe that too. Not that it makes your grief any easier now, but perhaps as you journey forward, one step at a time.

I’m so very sorry that you lost your precious boy.

• Like 1

• Members
3 hours ago, foreverhis said:

Agreed. Dogs should not be free roaming like that! 

Yes, you will need to find your way forward, but please don’t feel you should rush it. Achilles will be in your heart forever. Try not to think of it as leaving him behind, but carrying him with you in your heart and mind. The joy you gave each other absolutely is valuable and precious.

Those who haven’t experienced the pure, honest, unconditional love of a special animal companion cannot always fathom how deeply they become part of our lives. But for us, it makes the loss that much harder.  Some people probably won’t understand why you’re grieving like this. We do.

Like Kay, I believe the Rainbow Bridge exists, though almost certainly not in the way our limited human minds envision it. I have faith that your Achilles and his dad are there now, together, healthy and strong. And I have faith that someday, when it’s your time, sweet Achilles will be there to welcome you again with a loving heart. I hope you can believe that too. Not that it makes your grief any easier now, but perhaps as you journey forward, one step at a time.

I’m so very sorry that you lost your precious boy.

I want to sincerely thank both you and KayC for being so supportive and helpful to people. It means a lot not just that you have given me kind words, but so many others kind words as well. You both are making this world better by being in it and I appreciate it greatly. I also cry tears in joy in hopes that one day I may experience Achilles and my other loved ones that I have lost once more in whatever way it may be.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I have no doubt that you will!  How could heaven be heaven without our pets!  And I too will join my loved ones, furry and feathered, can't wait!

• Hugs 1

• Moderators

I have no idea what you're talking about, I do not know "Pet Services."  This is a grief forum.