Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Favorite comedian stand-up specials?

widower2

• Moderators

A few of mine (some of these can be found on youtube):

- Bill Cosby "Himself"
- Dana Carvey's first two HBO specials
- Paula Poundstone's "Cats" specials (there were two) and her Harvard special
- Anything by Bobby Slayton (warning, VERY politically incorrect) 

• Members

Well, Robin Williams could always make us laugh.  He's what we called "a local boy" because we're from the Bay Area and for guys of a certain age, he was just one of them.  John actually met him once at a family concert.  I stayed in the auditorium, but John needed a bit of a break from the tediousness.  He went out to the lobby and there was Robin, also there for family and needing a break.  They spoke a bit about this and that with John treating him as just another family man and local.  John said that away from the hoopla and other people, Robin was quiet and introspective.  It hit John hard when Robin died; it hit our male friends hard too.

I know his humor isn't everyone's cup of tea and it's definitely not for young ears, but so much of it was relatable.  I mean, I'm sorry, but his description of a colonoscopy was hysterically funny to me.

Bill Cosby's records were a constant in my life as a child.  I have so many of the familiar phrases and gags in my memory.  I loathe him as a human being, but that doesn't make his humor any less funny.

Though technically a satirist and songwriter, Tom Lehrer will always be a favorite for me.  My parents absolutely loved him.  Actually, they saw him live in San Francisco a couple of times when I was a child and had to stay home with a babysitter (bummer for me).  They were in the audience for That Was the Year That Was at the hungry i.

Edited by foreverhis
Correct a word.
  • Like 1

• Moderators

How could I forget Robin Williams! His first HBO special is one of my all-time favorites and included my fav of all the characters he did ("Pops"). I always wished I could ask him if that was based on anyone or just made up or somewhere in between. Sooo jealous that John got not just to talk to him but in what sounds like a "real" way (i.e. didn't get the public, zany Robin Williams, but the real guy behind that). Have you ever seen his appearance on Inside the Actors Studio? Classic stuff. 

Re Bill Cosby, as much as I liked "Himself" (still the best comedy special I have ever seen, just brilliant), I think my fav stuff is his old album stuff like the Lone Ranger material, Noah, etc.

• Members

Tonsillectomy: “You can have all the ice cream in the world you can eat.”

Parents going out: (Sad face) “Mommy, going out? Daddy, going out?” (Door closes; grins) “Good…now I can do what I want to do.”

So, so, so many classics.

I too was a wee tad jealous when we walked out of the concert. There was Robin with family. He wasn’t being mobbed by fans or anything because, as I mentioned, “he’s just a local boy.” That’s when John told me. I stared a moment, sighed, and said, “Of course you did” because things like that happened to him.  He never hero worshipped celebrities, so maybe that came across to Robin and others.

For example, we took the girls to Washington DC and New York one spring break. John had business there the following week, so we crammed a lot in. One evening, we were leaving after a Broadway show. (Yay for Tix! We got great seats for a tiny price and saw four shows in 4 days; we’re theater people.)

Anyway, it had been my show choice, A Walk in the Woods,  with Sam Waterson, who I love in anything, and Robert Prosky, enough said. I was in with the girls waiting in line for the restroom, so John just wandered down the street. Out comes Robert Prosky. John nodded and said hello. The next I know, I walk the girls out of the theater and see John down the block chatting with Robert Prosky like they’re old friends. Sigh. That’s just who John was, a nice, approachable, not intimidating, intelligent man.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Yes that's the kind of conversation most famous people want (at most) and I've always wished I could have if I ever met someone famous I liked, but I'd probably get nervous and make a schmuck of myself lol 

• Members
1 hour ago, widower2 said:

I've always wished I could have if I ever met someone famous I liked, but I'd probably get nervous and make a schmuck of myself lol 

Me too.  John just had a natural gift that way.

• Like 1

• Members

Here’s what I think is a good story about my beloved maternal grandmother. She was like John in that approachable, nice way.

My parents had taken her with them on a trip to New York. My grandpa had stayed home. So they’re in Central Park by Bethesda Fountain enjoying the day and my parents decide to go get coffee from one of the carts. My grandma sat on a bench and said she’d wait there and people watch.

As my parents walked back, they saw a nice looking gentleman sitting and chatting with my grandma. My mom said she did a double take when she realized it was Norman Rockwell.

When they walked over, my grandma introduced him as, “This is Norman. He’s been keeping me company.” My mom said he was absolutely delightful with my grandma as they talked like old friends about the old days, war time experiences, modern life, etc.

Some people just seem to have an aura about them that draws others to them. I would likely have been tongue tied or blabbering.

• Like 1

• Moderators

That is cool. Frankly I wouldn't have known the guy if I bumped into him, so I might have been OK. :)  

• Members
20 minutes ago, widower2 said:

That is cool. Frankly I wouldn't have known the guy if I bumped into him, so I might have been OK. :)  

:lol: I would have recognized him, but probably not right away.

• Moderators

Robin Williams never had that problem. :) Not exactly an "every man" look! I can't imagine anyone who hasn't lived under a rock all their life not knowing who he was if they saw him. 

• Moderators

I'll add Jeff Foxworthy to the list; he had a great HBO (I think) special.