Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of my Wife.....and Dog

Butch

• Moderators
On 1/15/2023 at 4:37 PM, Butch said:

On September 3rd, 2022 my Wife passed away after putting up a glorious year-long battle against Cancer!  It was difficult to watch her last breath. I went numb!  My whole world had just crashed all around me.  I think I went into mourning and grieving.  I think....because the numbness never went away.  Still!!  Then on November 26th, our dog passed away, I'm sure from a broken heart.  He had stopped eating.  He laid in his bed all day and all night. He wasted away to nothing.  Before I could get him to the Vet, he ran to my wife in his sleep.  They are together now and both pain free.  I'm still here.  Still numb.  I think I'm grieving...but not sure.  My days continue...

Butch

I'm so sorry on both counts. The gap between losing my beloved (also to cancer) and our dog was longer, but I felt like he was my last real living, tangible connection to her, so in addition to being such a great dog and friend, there was that...in some ways it was like the wounds from losing her were fresh all over again. 

This takes time, unfortunately, to deal with, but as impossible as it may seem, you CAN do this. I know it's a tired cliche but it's true: take it a day at a time. Don't worry about next week or next month or whatever. Just make it through each day; that's enough. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1