Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My dog died at the groomers, although not their fault

Pekewoman

• Members

My little 7 pound Peke, who just turned 15, passed away on December 15, 2022.  He injured his eyes on Mother's day 2022 and I did everything to keep them from being amputated. We were able to save his eyes and heal them, although it left him with very little sight. His heart and bloodwork were perfect and Vet agreed he could live to be 16 or 17. He had a few petite mal seizures in his early life but outgrew them for about 10 years. He has been going to the same groomer for over 4 years and the previous owner, since he was a puppy. He loved that place. I took him in on Dec. 15th for a groom and they gave him a bath and when they went to blow dry him, he was in a seizure, regained consciousness and then died. They ran him next door to a Vet who refused to help him because he wasn't their client! How criminal is that? They closed the salon and put him in their car to rush him to my Vet, who was 25 minutes away. He died in her car. They were as devastated as I was. The groomer took me with his remains, to his Vet so  funeral people could pick up his body. I am so devastated because I didn't make it back in time to see him die. He was scheduled for bloodwork and I was waiting to get him groomed, before I took him. I can't even remember if I kissed him goodbye that morning. I relive that day over & over. I can't throw out any of his stuff...I am 67 and am a widow so I feel so lost without him. When he woke up, I just know he was looking for me. Now I kick myself for not going & getting his bloodwork done. I am so mad at Vet who refused to help him...

Vi

• Like 1

• Moderators

Wow.  Your story really hit me.  I can't believe that vet refused to see a dying dog!  How dare them!  Should be posted online everywhere and put out of business IMO.

But your poor grieving heart. :(  Whether you kissed him goodbye or not, he died knowing you love him, that the two of you were bonded beyond anything.  15.  That's a lot of years.  
Comfort for Grieving Animal Lovers

• Members

Thank you. People on here are so kind. Yes I am super angry that a Vet would deny a helpless dog. It's not like I wouldn't have paid them. I tried to google review them and they have zero web presence. Go figure!

• Like 1

• Moderators

I'd still post about them on FB so people know...

I am so sorry that happened to you.  Yes people here care, more than that ______ vet, for sure!

• Members

I just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss. :( It is heartbreaking.

The groomer sounds like they did everything they could to help too. Sad that the vet would not help in such a rare circumstance and make an exception.  

• Like 1

• Members

I’m so very sorry to read your story. And I’m disgusted to hear about that vet! I know for a fact that our vet would not do that and that if they were truly swamped, they would call their “sister” hospital less than 10 minutes away to have the emergency crew ready and waiting to help. Sickening that this vet wouldn’t help your sweetheart.

• Like 1