Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My Lobo

Kat1980

• Members

Hi, I’m Kat. I’ve always been a cat person and never really wanted a Dog. Last year I was dealing with some things with my son and my mother with dementia and I was given a German Shepard puppy in July. At first I wasn’t thrilled as like I said before, I never really liked dogs. Well! The first day,I fell in love with him and his name became Lobo which is Spanish for Wolf! He became my best friend and I was working from home so he was with me all day everyday and would cry if he didn’t see me. Looking at him just brought my mood up so much! He truly became my night in shining armor 💕 December 30, 2023, he ran out the door by mistake and was hit, the car was coming at the exact time and was going way too fast. I heard the bang and knew it was over. I rushed him to vet as he laid in my lap and looked at me panting, I was screaming. They tried everything but came and asked me to come hold him as they did cpr. I screamed the whole time and then fell to the floor. My lobo, my best friend, my baby was gone. It’s only been a week and a half but my heart is truly broken. I almost feel as bad as when my father died. Just wanted to share because I hurt so bad and feel so lost.

• Like 1

• Members

I'm so sorry you lost your sweet Lobo.  Of course your heart is broken.  How could it be otherwise?  You lost a special love.  Whether it's a person or an animal companion, the grief and pain are just as deep. 

What happened was a tragic, tragic accident.  What matters is that you loved him every day and he knew it.  What matters is that you were there with him, even as your own heart was breaking.  It's not just something, it's everything.  It really is.

I'm afraid it will hurt like this and you will feel lost for some time.  It's different for everyone, but there's simply no way around the grief journey.  You are not alone.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I am so sorry!  It's horrible to lose the dog we love, no way to prepare, it's so hard.  Your sweet Lobo is out of pain now and is at peace, now it's you that needs help getting through this and it takes much time to try to process what happened and try to cope with his absence.  It's taken me so long after losing my Arlie (it's been 3 1/2 years now).  

I thank God you were there with him as he passed, I hope that is of some consolation as I'm sure it meant the world to him as he tried to adjust to what was going on.  Thinking of you and keeping you in prayer.

The what ifs blame game happens to most of us going through early grief, it did me when my husband died 17 years ago...it's not that we are guilty of anything but loving them, and the truth is feelings are not facts, but it's that we can't wrap our heads around what happened, and our mind is trying to find some different possible outcome so it searches all the what ifs...

Comfort for Grieving Animal Lovers

A Dangerous Villain: Guilt
Breaking the Power of Guilt
A Dangerous Villain: Guilt
http://www.pet-loss.net/guilt.shtml
http://www.griefhealing.com/article-loss-and-the-burden-of-guilt.htm
https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2019/08/pet-loss-when-guilt-overshadows-grief.html
https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2017/07/pet-loss-when-guilt-goes-unresolved.html

I hope this short video brings you some comfort and peace.

• Like 1