Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Thanksgiving zoom (online) meeting?

widower2

• Moderators

Anyone interested? PS for those not familiar, "Zoom" is a way to connect online like a video conference...I have an account and can set it up, you just click on the link, but need to set up an account (it's free). I'll be once again spending Thanksgiving alone and would be nice to connect for a bit for anyone else similar. Flexible on the time but thinking best time is probably mid/late afternoon so it's not too early or too late for anyone.in diff time zones. I could set it up. 

I hope this doesn't come out wrong and I'm all for going with the flow, but the intent here is not a "therapy session" really just an informal chit-chat to try if possible to give ourselves a break from all that if only for just a little while and maybe help those of us alone on this holiday feel a little less alone. Of course if you just want to log on and listen and not talk a lot, that's fine, no pressure on anyone obviously. If I have enough glasses of wine maybe I'll sing a song and you can laugh when the neighbor's dogs start howling and the neighbors start pounding on the door begging me to stop ;)   I'm still trying to plan my dinner - I may be alone but ###### it there are some traditions I refuse to give up, like I WILL have turkey and stuffing on Thanksgiving. OK it may be Marie Calendar but it checks the square lol (kidding.....I think!) 

• Like 4

• Moderators

I'll be driving to my son's, three hours over, three hours back, with Kodie, trying to keep Murray from carrying him in his mouth.  Good for you widower!  I can't eat stuffing, pie, all the goodies, last year all I could eat was the turkey.  Everything was high carb.  I'll tough it out.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Turkey is the most important part :) I actually bought everything but that; it's really hard to find "turkey for one." Not about to make an entire turkey.

Long drive but glad you will be with family! I had to make a 2 hr drive to DC this week and back, the traffic, ugh

• Like 3

• Members

My sister and BIL are coming to visit for the weekend, so I will likely be busy with them.  We've decided to go untraditional because my sister wants to make a special Hawaiian-style dinner she tried out a couple of years ago.  Then for Saturday when we have friends over, we'll use the rest of the pork for our yearly chili fest.

I will check in if possible.  Will you post the Zoom link here?

• Like 2

• Members

I'll stop in if I can. 

I'll be in a big family gathering that will involve a wide range of emotions.  It would be nice to take a break with you guys. 

Gail 

• Like 3

• Moderators
11 hours ago, widower2 said:

it's really hard to find "turkey for one."

Maybe a breast or leg?

• Like 2

• Members

Butterball has those turkey breast rolls. I know it's a lot for one, but what I do is freeze portions for later on. The good thing is there is no waste, it's all meat, no bones.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

@widower2 that sounds like a good idea.  With everyone rip roaring and running it looks like this will be my first Thanksgiving all alone.  I'm willing

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Sparky1

You Crack me up brother....we are so bachelor now....are we not?...I should pay you friend....for the laughs ...!!

😊.......Robert

Widower2

Thanks for doing this....! I will check in on that day...if I don't forget...which is easy these days...but I'm on here every day...so..I should see your link to it. Thanks!!

Robert

• Like 2

• Moderators

To clarify....I'm not going to be online all day. :)  I was thinking a 30-60 min window, flexible on when. What works best for others? 

• Like 1

• Members

Widower2

Whatever time you pick is OK with me....but just to keep in mind.......Squanto showed up at 7:00 a.m. on turkey day last year......and I told him...NEVER AGAIN SQUANTO!!!! NEVER AGAIN!!!

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
5 hours ago, Robert D. said:

Sparky1

You Crack me up brother....we are so bachelor now....are we not?...I should pay you friend....for the laughs ...!!

Thanks Robert. What can we do? Make the best of the situation I guess. I have to learn to buy food just for me and not for a family of 4. By the way, thaw out that turkey roll and cook it in a slow cooker, awesome turkey with no headaches.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

@April Ballou Hi April. Zoom is a really easy download. You don’t need to give personal information or pay anything if you only plan to join other people’s meetings. Do make sure your mic and camera are on if you want to be seen and heard.

• Hugs 1

• Members
3 hours ago, foreverhis said:

@April Ballou Hi April. Zoom is a really easy download. You don’t need to give personal information or pay anything if you only plan to join other people’s meetings. Do make sure your mic and camera are on if you want to be seen and heard.

Thanks.  I found the zoom app and installed it.  Now I'm ready to see and talk to anyone on Thanksgiving day.  This will be my first holiday alone. 

• Hugs 1

• Moderators

OK how about 3 PM Eastern time? That way it's not too early or too late regardless of your time zone. 

• Members
8 hours ago, April Ballou said:

Thanks.  I found the zoom app and installed it.  Now I'm ready to see and talk to anyone on Thanksgiving day.  This will be my first holiday alone. 

Excellent.  April, I'm so sorry that your family has let you down and especially that Darrell's family no longer even consider you family.  That's sickening and yet, I guess it's not uncommon.  Something tells me Darrell would be extremely disappointed in them.

I know how lucky I am that both my and John's families are still here for me.  Well, except the family members (one on each side) we had been estranged from long-term.

@widower2  That's noon for me and just fine.  I'll try to pop on for a while, depending on what we're doing dinner-prep wise.

• Members

@foreverhis thanks.  That's life.  But I understand.   Everyone has things to do, places to go, and people to see.

@foreverhis thanks.  That's life.  But I understand.   Everyone has things to do, places to go, and people to see.

Thanks

• Members

Widower2

I downloaded the app....I see it's at 3....Thanks. I hope I can remember the time....Nice of yas to do this....I'm on my own for the first time tomorrow....looking forward to it.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, AJ4 said:

I tried the link but it says I haven't got a meeting id.  Do you have the meeting id?

That's odd; you should have been able to just enter the link in Zoom. Sorry you missed!

Glad for those who made it! 

• Like 1

• Members

Widower 2

Thanks brother for the zoom Thanksgiving today!! I really enjoyed it!! Please let me know when or if you do it again....lots of fun!! God bless friend!!

Robert

• Like 1

• Members

Yes I really enjoyed putting names and faces together.   Can't wait to do it again. 

• Like 2

• Members
17 hours ago, April Ballou said:

Yes I really enjoyed putting names and faces together.   Can't wait to do it again. 

Me too. It was also nice to hear voices because now I can envision all of you better when I read posts.

I’m just sorry more of us couldn’t join and, as I realized while we were talking, the place I had set up didn’t have the best lighting situation. I am not usually so washed out (or maybe I am and I don’t know it). 😬

• Like 2

• Members

I enjoyed seeing folks who were able to join in. Sorry I was late. 

Thanks for setting this up!

Gail

• Like 1