Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Biggest Regret

Deva

• Members

My biggest regret was when I made her super upset at Christmas in 2019. The feelings I was trying to tell her about really upset her.  We didn't talk for three weeks until she told me she was sick with cold/flu/pneumonia.  Then two weeks passed, and she was gone. 

• Members

I didn’t visit her in Germany. I was too wrapped up in my job. Regret that deeply. I thought I had more time. 

• Members
officerswife1999

Due to being a military family, we settled far away from my hometown.  My biggest regret is that I didn't force myself to go out and visit her more.  I know it hurt her that I lived so far away.  I had plans to go before the pandemic and then had to cancel them and things never really got better until this summer.  She got sick and I did go see her, but it was just to say goodbye.  Wish I had seen her more.  I talked to her everyday and we were very close, but I regret not visiting her more and I can't fix it now.

• Members

I know what you are going through. I am part of a military family as well.  We tried to always get stationed in Germany, so I could spend time with my mom. After my husband retired we couldn’t make it back. I talked to my mom everyday as well, sometimes 3 or 4 times a day.  That’s is the hardest for me; she was always there and I could tell her everything.  She was a big part of my life. 

• Members
officerswife1999

Miss my Mai, I was the same with my mom.  I talked to her multiple times a day and she was always there for me too.  She had declined over the past couple of years and had trouble hearing on the phone, but we still managed to talk some.  I miss having her as an anchor in my life and I miss having someone who truly cared about everything that I did or that happened to me.  It saddens me to know that nobody will ever love me like that again.

• Members

officerswife 1999 - I feel exactly as you do.  It saddens me too that she was the only one that truly loved me and understood me.   I feel like an orphan and people don't understand what you are going through unless they have gone through it themselves.  I never understood why my mom would cry sometimes just because she saw something that saddened her.  Now I understand. I cry at the dumbest things, like commercials that have a mother and daughter in them.  Especially now at Christmas. :(   Sometimes I think am I losing it?  But that's part of the grieving process.  It is hard to understand that the person you loved so much is just gone.   I wish I could just speak to her one more time and tell her how much I love her and miss her.  

• Members
Christina2223

I regret not giving her more of my time. If only I could hug her one last time.

• Members

I regret not being more present for her over the past several years! We use to spend weeks at a time together, but then she began dialysis & I started a couple really potent drugs for rheumatoid arthritis & COVID hit! My husband was terrified of COVID & wanted me to stay home in our own little "cocoon". Mom could no longer come & stay with us for weeks at a time bc she (nor the rest of my siblings & their families would get the COVID vaccine), plus she had 2 brand new grandbabies who she got to see every day...and honestly, at the time, they kept her going , they gave her a will to fight to live!

But I deeply regret that I stayed home all the time & didn't spend more time with her! That haunts me & I've said mean things to my husband about it.

I wish I had done what I did when she had the stroke & heart attack & was in the hospital for months...just stop taking the powerful RA meds that could cause a small infection to take me down!! But I can't go back in time....I can only be glad that I had all the beautiful times before covid, the dozen or so during covid, and the precious, beautiful, day after day & night after night, constant time with her during the last months of her life. Being able to make sure she was never alone, never frightened, or cold, make sure she stayed calm & felt safe & loved, and every time she opened her eyes she saw those she loved the most, I do not regret that one bit!!

I do not regret the fact that I lost 2 sisters over the battle to honor our mom's wishes....because I had a sister & a brother who also wanted to honor her wishes & bring her home! Our mother was loved so very much,  and she loved all of us abundantly! 

Important Information

This site uses cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. and uses these terms of services Terms of Use.