Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

What to do today

Kevin O

• Members

My routine is not that much different. Get up around 8 or so, have a shower, shave, etc., and then have breakfast. Take the dog out, clean the house, maybe go to the store to kill some time. Go for a walk, make dinner, watch tv, go to bed around 11. Boring as hell, at least if my wife was still here, I'd be more enthusiastic and we would do things together. It seems like my motivation was sucked out of my life. It's going to be a very long winter, I hope I don't go cuckoo in the meantime. At least in the summer I go up north and relax and get away from the rat race in the city. Five more months until I can go back up.....

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

Mixed feelings about this. I don't have the luxury of sleeping in every day or doing/not doing whatever I want because I have to work. But on the plus side it keeps me busy and forces me to keep going. Pros and cons both ways I guess.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, foreverhis said:

I can stay in bed until 9 or 10, no problem, but getting to sleep before 1 or 2 or even 3 am is a struggle every night.

Ha, we're opposite!  I go to bed between 7:30 and 8 pm and wake up between 1 & 3, it's when I wake up at 1 and lay there 1 1/2 hours it's aggravating, it's not enough sleep.

7 hours ago, widower2 said:

I have to work.

I never thought of you as working, assumed you'd be retired!  What do you do?  I used to commute 100 miles/day, do NOT miss that, nor the idiotic boss I had (who owed me three months pay when he suddenly cut my job, took me 13 1/2 months to collect it!).

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, KayC said:

Ha, we're opposite!  I go to bed between 7:30 and 8 pm and wake up between 1 & 3, it's when I wake up at 1 and lay there 1 1/2 hours it's aggravating, it's not enough sleep.

I never thought of you as working, assumed you'd be retired!  What do you do?  I used to commute 100 miles/day, do NOT miss that, nor the idiotic boss I had (who owed me three months pay when he suddenly cut my job, took me 13 1/2 months to collect it!).

Hey Kay, I'm in I.T. My commute is about 45 or so mins but again don't have to go in every day that helps.

14 hours ago, foreverhis said:

I can stay in bed until 9 or 10, no problem, but getting to sleep before 1 or 2 or even 3 am is a struggle every night.  It's still so hard to just go upstairs and "go to bed" that I generally turn the TV on low with a gentle/soft show or movie playing.  That helps lull me to sleep on the sofa and then later I go up to bed and can finally get into a real sleep.

Deep grief seems to affect every cell of our bodies.  I sometimes think that many of these changes are permanent or, at least, very long lasting.  It's no surprise that sleep would be among them because it's both neurologically and physically sensitive to stress, depression, etc.

Same here. Thank God for working from home now, saves at least a good 90 mins of getting ready and driving there. And yes it wears on you...I'm always tired and I can scarcely even look in a mirror any more, the bags under my eyes make Mel Blanc look good. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Ahh, glad you don't have to drive in every day.  In winter it sometimes took me hours to go to work...I was never late, not even if I had to start my day at 3, always there by 8.  Not so for the other employees that only had to drive across town on a skiff of snow.

• Like 1

• Members

Good topic.  I don't feel as weird with some of things I now do.  It's been 2.5 yrs.  Still working everyday so I am grateful for that. I commute 10 miles per day.  A tank of gas can last me 2 weeks if I'm not running around doing other things.  I am a morning person mostly and with winter approaching I will have more down time at home alone on weekends. I don't read, I don't clean house anywhere remotely close to what I used to. Barely 2 loads of wash per week.  I don't do dishes everyday either, I just don't care.  I guess. I absolutely abhor cleaning the floors, I don't know what that's all about.  I haven't slept in my bed for months. The TV is on 24/7.  I watch a lot of Netflix, Hulu, HGTV, -all the time. I have a little wine most nights (not every) which helps me sleep and stay asleep.   I had a bad reaction to melatonin so I had to stop taking that.  When I don't drink, I still have crazy dreams that are hard to shake off and get myself going the next day.  Lastly, relating to another topic on here, I've kept some of his things and there's plenty of photos of him around.  Freaks me out sometimes, but not enough for me to put them away.  I feel like I can't do that.

On the positive, I did manage to wash some windows and curtains this fall.  I am hosting the football game this coming Sunday afternoon, so I have the incentive to get the basement cleaned up.  Called my son this morning to see if he can help me get propane filled so I can light the fireplace down in the basement which hasn't been used in 2 years!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2