Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

In another world

DWS

• Members
On 11/10/2022 at 3:32 AM, Ronni_W said:

Hugs, DWS. It is like that.     I just noticed that you're in Ontario -- if in or around the GTA, perhaps we'll decide to arrange get together for a Christmas coffee (or, if you prefer, a rum-and-eggnog...or six of them...mega-sized 😀)?   In any case, feel free to 'private message' me.  Love and more hugs, Ronni

Thanks for the warm invite! I'm in London (the other London) so two hours west of you. I know that I'm needing to find companions in grief and actually have thoughts of organizing a local support group for grievers...something outside the usual realm of meeting in church basements or event spaces. Coffee get-togethers and potluck dinners seem more attractive and fitting. 

But on the subject of rum and eggnogs, Tom and I loved them at Christmas time. We discovered coconut rum made them even yummier. Tom would have the biggest smile as we prepared them. He was just like a big kid...we both were.  This was just one of the many pleasures that he never really allowed himself to enjoy before he met me. He was always the mindful, responsible dad and grandpa. I guess I released some of the devil in him!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, DWS said:

Printing David's Christmas cards like I always did...going to a concert or play or out for coffee or to a restaurant or to a flea market....there's no desire for any of it!

I totally get that!  I also feel bah humbug when people write "Let it snow" or talk about putting up their Christmas decorations (right after Halloween no less!  And it's 17 years for me!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
1 hour ago, PLin said:

I had brunch with three other women yesterday who began including me following Ted's death here last January. They are perfectly lovely women but I come away from our meetings somehow feeling flat and as if a piece is missing somewhere. 

I can understand that. Making and cultivating new friendships later in life is challenging and frustrating work particularly when you didn't choose to be in these lost circumstances. You're trying your best to make some headway here and there but if you're like me, you're dragging your feet to do any of it. I feel there's this huge void now that is pointless to try to fill so I somehow need to awkwardly carry it and honour its importance.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

@PLin  Did you experience any of Hurricane Nicole?  Haven't been watching t.v. so haven't heard much, hoping it's not as Ian was.

• Members
On 11/11/2022 at 8:46 AM, DWS said:

[...] I guess I released some of the devil in him!

You know that old saying/cliche/platitude, "A way to a man's heart is through his stomach"? -- I think: "The way to a man's heart is to help him release some of 'the devil' in him"!!!

DWS, I think that I did help Ray to do the same, and I do think that he did really appreciate it and love me for it.

Weird about the rum and eggnog thing, ain't it? 'Twas the same for us...and something that I introduced to Ray (including grating fresh nutmeg over it). At Christmas-time he'd be all, "Do we have whole nutmeg? Don't forget to pick-up the whole nutmeg! Where's the grater for the whole nutmeg?"

As the song sings, "Those were the days, my friend; we thought they'd never end". <smile and cry and sigh and cry and smile>.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
On 11/12/2022 at 7:14 AM, KayC said:

Did you experience any of Hurricane Nicole?  Haven't been watching t.v. so haven't heard much, hoping it's not as Ian was.

I am on the Gulf Coast, near Fort Myers so just wind and rain. Fortunately, no major damage from ian either. Thanks for asking Kay. ❤️

• Like 1

• Members

Florida had a lot of damage on the NE coast from Nicole.  My old neighborhood near St Augustine got slammed. Flooding, erosion, a lot of destruction.  The St Johns river is still in flood stage. A lot of homes are still flooded. 

Gail

• Sad 1

• Moderators

I'm sorry to hear that.  I did see some on the news, they usually capture the worst of it, but unfamiliar with that are, I wasn't sure where.  My dear friend who owns and administrates my other grief site (is a retired grief counselor) lives in Sarasota, I understand it was more minimal there than when Ian hit.

• Members

DWS, I feel the same way.  My daughter, who lives in Washington State, just went to LA to visit a friend last week.  She tells me about the places she and her husband go...hiking, concerts, etc.  My sisters both go places and do things with friends, and then tell me about it.  I can't imagine ever wanting to go on another trip, or do any of the things people who are dating do.  We used to love going to estate sales on the weekends.  We'd drive hours just to go to them.  I can't bring myself to go now.  Other than estate sales and family gatherings (which were usually at our house), we didn't really do a lot.  We rarely went on trips, didn't go to concerts or movies.  But we were always together. 

There is a line in the Netflix show, "Afterlife" that I really identified with the first time I heard it.  I was a puddle of tears, and I still cry every time I watch it.  Here's the quote:

"People think all those things I miss doing with Lisa, I could just do them anyway. They're missing the point. I miss doing nothing with Lisa"

And that's how I feel.  I miss just sitting on the patio, listening to the birds.  Or watching TV together.  Or even the silence in the car when neither of us could think of anything to say.  I just miss him!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members

I agree completely. 

"We" were going to do many things in retirement. I have no interest in doing them without him. It wasn't seeing these sights that I was looking forward to, it was seeing them "with him".

I need to focus on things "I" can do alone or with other friends or family.  I very much miss just being with him doing nothing special.

Gail

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
20 minutes ago, cmp34 said:

And that's how I feel.  I miss just sitting on the patio, listening to the birds.  Or watching TV together.  Or even the silence in the car when neither of us could think of anything to say.  I just miss him!

4 minutes ago, Gail 8588 said:

"We" were going to do many things in retirement. I have no interest in doing them without him. It wasn't seeing these sights that I was looking forward to, it was seeing them "with him".

This was where my mind was at walking out of the grocery store this afternoon....missing just him and wondering how the hell you even try to move forward when the one unique person your heart is centred on has been taken from this earth. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
14 hours ago, cmp34 said:

I can't bring myself to go now. 

I understand, I haven't camped since George died.  I don't really go anywhere.  It's just not the same without him.  I admire those like autocharge that continue on, but...

14 hours ago, cmp34 said:

Exactly!  That's how I feel.

13 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

I need to focus on things "I" can do alone or with other friends or family.

I know.  Of course we're heading into winter so will be in hibernation...

13 hours ago, DWS said:

how the hell you even try to move forward when the one unique person your heart is centred on has been taken from this earth. 

:(

• Hugs 1