Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Already 1 Year

Sunnydaysaregone

• Members
Sunnydaysaregone

I cant believe its been a year. I lost you in April and this month would have marked your 17th birthday. How has so much time passed already, cuddle bug? Toothless is turning 5 next year and you’re not here. He misses you too, you know. He’s got a new big brother now, they’re not so far apart in age. Finnegan is 7, turning 8 this year. You would have liked him. He’s a lot like you were. He doesn’t talk back as much though and he purrs different. He isn’t you, and i think that hurts too. Though i knew you wouldn’t want me to close my heart to a new feline. You might not have liked Toothless a whole lot, but i know you loved him. He needed someone after you were gone. He was too young to understand what had happened. Finnegan isn’t you, but thats okay. He found me when he needed me, just as you once did. He was unexpected and unplanned but he has a family now. I just hope i can be as good to him as you were to me. Most of all i wish you hadn’t had to leave me. Your wings were ready but my heart was not. I tired so many times to prepare myself for your passing but i dont think it was ever possible. You were my baby, and I’ll always miss you. My first kitty, my first unconditional friend and confidant. I love you with all my heart, baby. I hope you’re resting in peace. 
(photo below is Sunny with his younger brother Toothless)

E72F57F3-1B22-44A6-8910-10F98F5DB837.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

I'm glad you adopted another cat that needed a home, very beautiful!  I'm glad they're getting along well and it sounds like he's a lot like the one you lost.  Come here any time and post to him.  I adopted a feral cat in April, outdoors only, he loves his 30' x 14' patio and his house (he sleeps in it) and also checking out the yard, lots of tall shrubs (Photinia and Mahogany taller than the house) to hide in.  We come out and greet and love on him several times a day and he likes to lay outside the screen door and "play" with Kodie!  He also goes to Kodie's fenced yard and plays with him, I think he feels safe with the screen/fence in between.

• Members

Nice post. As animal lovers, it's hard because so often we think we're "replacing" our previous pet. But each one is a totally different and unique personality to be forgotten or be replaced... and forever missed. 

The next animals we take on, to risk the love and loss again is because these animals need us.

In my mind, it's honoring all the love and experiences and lessons from my other cats... not erasing them... to continue to bring joy to another.   

• Like 1

• Members
2 minutes ago, AJWCat said:

As animal lovers, it's hard because so often we think we're "replacing" our previous pet. But each one is a totally different and unique personality to be forgotten or be replaced... and forever missed. 

I think part of the problem is that we've been conditioned as a society in general to think of animals as replaceable.  Of course, once we've loved an animal companion, we understand that each is wonderful and unique, that we could no more replace them than we could replace a child or partner.  Sometimes the pain of loss, especially a "soul pet" (for me our beloved Keeshond Charlie Bear; for my husband our most special tabby Persian Penny), makes us feel like it's too much of a risk to open our hearts again.  Depending on our ages, we know there's a good chance that we will face that loss once again.  Yet if we find that strength, we often come to realize that we aren't replacing or forgetting or even moving on, but rather finding more room for love and ultimately bringing the happiness of "before" into the present and future.

No dog could ever take the number one spot of Charlie in my heart, but over the years I have loved other dogs too.  Just now, as I don't have my own, it's my doggy friend Raleigh (she's due for a visit a little later today).  I look at her after 4 years of play and walks and cuddles and living in the "now" and the sheer joy she brings to me and say to her, "You're my second favorite dog ever.  I love you so much." because it's true.  There's a place in my heart where she and Charlie live side by side.  And that I think is a grace and a gift.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I felt that about Joe, Annie, but could no longer walk him due to the immense hand injuries (he did a hard yank on the right hand and severe bite on the left one).  But I loved him, and every day when I'd see him at the gate looking so forlorn and wondering why I didn't come for him, it broke my heart..  When his parents took him to be put to sleep, they didn't let me know so I could say goodbye to him.  I had to find out on FB it'd been done.  I love you, Joe.

You are right, one doesn't "replace" another.  Instead you love them for who they are and what they bring into your life.  And they're all unique.  My relationship with all of my dogs, each one precious and and different.

Joe 123021.jpg

• Like 1