Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

The waves of grief

DWS

• Members

That Reddit post is incredibly insightful and beautifully written. Thank you for sharing. 

• Like 4

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Ronni_W said:

I think maybe because anyone's given sense of loss and grief is too individual, too personal, too unique, for there to be some kind of scientific/ neuro-scientific 'one-size-fits-all' theory...from which they can then start their 'surveys' and 'formal experiments' to reach the required threshold or 'standard' to make it a "fact" instead of just still a stupid theory. (It'll always be just a stupid theory, in my mind, because it is so bloody unique and individual for each and every griever.)

Thank you for shedding this light on it, makes sense!  In other words, they're trying to make fact and logic out of what we all know is very unique and individual..  We don't need their scientific claims, we live it.

@DWS Thank you for sharing about grief coming in waves, another one I've saved! :wub:

• Like 4

• Moderators

I wish you well with it @CharliesM0m2012  I take it you'll be admitted?  Brave!  I want as far away from a hospital as possible, mental or otherwise.  Check in with us as you are able.

• Like 2

• Members
1 hour ago, widower2 said:

Another analogy I've used is that it's like strolling through a mine field; you never know when you'll take a step and * boom * something sets it (you) off. 

Yep! That's much closer to how I've experienced it myself. Do you mind if I use that analogy...with proper credit, of course.

I also agree with you, widower2 -- I find no pleasure or gratification in emotional pain/trauma/suffering, so I definitely, most strongly do want any and all waves of this kind of grief to stop, cease and desist! 🥰. That would make me most happy!

• Like 3

• Members
On 10/31/2022 at 7:18 PM, DWS said:

Take it from an old guy. The waves never stop coming, and somehow you don’t really want them to. But you learn that you’ll survive them.

I could not agree more.  After 4 years, the waves are no longer tsunamis.  They don't come as often and they aren't as high, but they are there.  Yet, I don't want them to stop completely because that would mean forgetting why they come in the first place.  Not that I could ever forget or stop missing my love.  Today's softer nudges are miles away from the constant stabbing pain from the shards of my broken heart of the first couple of years, but I relish those nudges. those reminders inside that my John was here and remains present for me still.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Another huge wave of grief hit me this morning triggered by, of all things, this evening's airing of the third season of Star Trek's Picard.  I've mentioned it a few times over the past months that my partner Tom was a big fan of the  original Star Trek series and its various spinoffs. I enjoyed a bit of Star Trek over the years but when Tom entered my life, I got much more into it. Tom wasn't one of those crazy Trekkie convention fans but his gained knowledge of all of it was fascinating and something I grew to love about him.  The two of us had so much humble enjoyment watching those familiar episodes together. I haven't really watched much of the current Picard series but learned that this season, it's bringing back the past crew of The Next Generation series. Tom would be in his absolute glory seeing this.

This is sadly something that I can only share with people here. It's amazing how these grief waves can just suddenly come out of nowhere and overwhelm us.  I'm hoping I feel Tom's presence while I watch the show this evening.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
On 10/31/2022 at 10:18 PM, DWS said:

"Somewhere down the line, and it’s different for everybody, you find that the waves are only 80 feet tall. Or 50 feet tall. And while they still come, they come further apart. You can see them coming. An anniversary, a birthday, or Christmas, or landing at O’Hare. You can see it coming, for the most part, and prepare yourself. And when it washes over you, you know that somehow you will, again, come out the other side. Soaking wet, sputtering, still hanging on to some tiny piece of the wreckage, but you’ll come out.

Take it from an old guy. The waves never stop coming, and somehow you don’t really want them to. But you learn that you’ll survive them. And other waves will come. And you’ll survive them too. If you’re lucky, you’ll have lots of scars from lots of loves. And lots of shipwrecks.”

I was glad that I dug up my original "waves of grief" post this morning because I had forgotten about that insightful quote I read on a Reddit discussion. I do admit that the waves have more distance between them now but getting smacked with one today made me wonder just when or how this will get easier. When we run out of triggers? 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

@LostThomaswe used to watch that series as well every Sunday night, and record it if we weren't going to stay up late. I cannot watch it now, I tried to watch an episode a few weeks ago, I had to turn it off after not even 5 minutes. I will never watch it again. It was too emotional and too painful because he loved it even more than I. I decided I didn't need the additional grief it brought on. Too much. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Alone. Again.
2 hours ago, LostThomas said:

Special events are one thing, but losing the warmth of routine has been a major unexpected sadness for me.

I agree, this is unbearably hard. There are so many horrendous elements to losing your person. 

3 hours ago, maud said:

It was too emotional and too painful because he loved it even more than I. I decided I didn't need the additional grief it brought on. Too much. 

I can't watch anything we watched together. I avoid everything like the plague. Maybe one day I may find comfort in it, but I find those painful reminders too difficult to bear.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
3 hours ago, LostThomas said:

I miss our shopping trips even though we always went in different directions.  But we entered the store together and left the store together.

This resonates for me so much.  We'd go shopping together and I would have the list, but once in the store, John would aimlessly wander (his term) looking at things, considering trying something new, and once our daughter had our granddaughter, more often than not finding some fun thing that John was sure she absolutely had to have.  And if grandpa wants to spoil his girls within the bounds of our budget (and maybe a little more sometimes), I was always going to say, "Great idea, honey."  We'd meet at the registers.  He'd chat with the checkers and I'd pay with our joint credit card.  Then he'd joke to the checkers we knew, "I'm a kept man..." on our way out. 

We went to the farmers markets together almost every week, so we had relationships with our favorite growers.  He always, always remembered to thank them for "growing our food" because we did home grown veggies as well and we know how much work it takes.  I couldn't face the markets for a few months and when I finally braved it, I had to tell so many people.  It was hard.  Harder still was, for example, picking out six Persian cucumbers (our favorite) and then realizing I was shopping only for me, putting three back, and letting the tears come.  I got quite a bit of complimentary produce that autumn because our farmers had no other way to show they cared.  That meant a lot to me.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
17 hours ago, LostThomas said:

I miss our shopping trips

This was a big one for me...we'd make a day of it as our grocery store is 50 miles away...we'd buy a pizza and take it to friends and visit them, then get groceries on the way home, him usually by my side but sometimes venturing off to find something, he'd come back smiling!  I watched the clerk ring things up while he bagged the groceries, he'd bring them into the house while I put them away.  To this day it's hard to watch other couples doing this.  They're a team even when they don't think about it.  I lost the other half of my team many years ago.

• Hugs 2