Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Not enough videos

AJ4

• Members

I only have a couple videos of my husband and I can't get past the tearing regret that I didn't make or save more.  I'm sure there were more but I didn't save them. I just had a couple on my phone from last summer.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

I'm so sorry. I'm in the exact same boat and have kicked myself many times. She was very camera shy, even to the point of annoying, esp as she was a very attractive lady. It's great not to be vain, but you can go too far the other way with that. I have a few after she started going downhill and lost a lot of weight, but they're much harder to look at...only one or two of her in better times...one is just a very brief one without any sound, the other is her walking the dog, but walking away from me (back to me). But I guess we should be glad for what we do have. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

We were from the old days, not being techies, we didn't do videos either.  I have two videos I want to have saved on something besides VHS:  one of my daughter's skating when she was a kid in competition, the other of a special Christmas George and I had...both I remember indelibly in my heart...so barring dementia (won't likely have due to how I eat) will lose neither.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Kay, I'd definitely look into getting those VHS tapes transferred to DVD, and from there to soft copy so you can have multiple backups. VHS tapes and even DVDs don't last forever, and VHS tapes have been known to jam, are highly susceptible to heat, humidity, etc. There are numerous services that you can send it away to do, but I'd be paranoid about what if something happens to it in transit. There are also machines that you could do it yourself or have a someone more tech savvy help with FWIW! 

• Like 1

• Moderators

There's got to be a place I can take it to in the next town over, maybe 60-70 miles away.

• Like 1