Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Flashbacks

1050_harley

• Members
22 hours ago, 1050_harley said:

that was a very very traumatic experience for me and this flashback will not go away

@1050_harley  Sorry to hear you're struggling through this.  I can relate in my own way.  My wife passed suddenly, unexpectedly, and I was there.  It was traumatic for me too.  I started EMDR therapy a few months ago.  I was skeptical of anything helping to reduce the trauma, but what I've noticed is my grief, sadness, anger and yearning for her has risen to the surface while the trauma of the day she passed has receded somewhat. I'm not suggesting EMDR is a miracle "cure" but maybe it's helping to decrease the traumatizing memories of that terrible day.  I'll probably need a half-dozen more sessions to really see. Keep fighting.  Explore your options for treating the trauma without alcohol or drugs. Take care,

• Like 3

• Members
7 hours ago, Jemiga70 said:

@1050_harley  Sorry to hear you're struggling through this.  I can relate in my own way.  My wife passed suddenly, unexpectedly, and I was there.  It was traumatic for me too.  I started EMDR therapy a few months ago.  I was skeptical of anything helping to reduce the trauma, but what I've noticed is my grief, sadness, anger and yearning for her has risen to the surface while the trauma of the day she passed has receded somewhat. I'm not suggesting EMDR is a miracle "cure" but maybe it's helping to decrease the traumatizing memories of that terrible day.

This is interesting. Has the therapist explained how this all works on the mind? I'm guessing that the trauma has always been front and centre and that keeps blocking some of the mind's essential need to process the loss. As the blocking recedes, there's no wonder that your feelings of sorrow and anger would begin to surface. I sometimes wonder if I have a similar blockage of feelings after the trauma of seeing what my scared, fragile mother went through in the hospital during the last couple of weeks of her life nine years ago. I've never been able to discuss it or tell anyone about it. My brother and my sister were there as well but we never mention what we witnessed. I don't think any of us want to. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Ok this is going to sound like "don't try this at home" but I had heard of EMDR for a few years and last year something traumatic happened in front of me, and I put myself on an eye movement regimen.  I know I have no training, but whenever the bad picture appeared in my head I'd start doing the eye movements, and it was quite effective.  I have had NO lingering mental effects from an event I feared would cause a lot of flashbacks.  I imagine with something deeper and longer in the past a therapist's guidance would be needed.  

• Like 2

• Members
On 10/25/2022 at 3:39 AM, 1050_harley said:

I've taken a break from posting on here [...]

Hey, mate! Good to read you again!!! 💗. Taking self-loving actions isn't "selfish" at all.

Way back 2 decades ago when I first came across EFT, it was also something that could be self-taught and self-utilized or self-applied. (If you follow it up, doesn't mean you have to start working with a 'professional/expert' yet, if you don't feel ready yet. It can be extremely beneficial for all of us, to have an 'outside' eye and view and perspective on how we are doing things, but, don't let that stop you from starting to be able to help/support your own self using other methods and tools than you're currently familiar with using.)

Again, 1050_harley mate, so good to read you again!!! 💗   Ronni

Edited to add: If EFT doesn't grab you, you might also look at Gendling's 'Focusing'. Free PDF available online, and also doesn't need an 'expert' for us to be able to use it on ourselves, for our own benefit.

• Like 1

• Members
17 hours ago, DWS said:

Has the therapist explained how this all works on the mind? I'm guessing that the trauma has always been front and centre and that keeps blocking some of the mind's essential need to process the loss.

@DWS  That's pretty much what my counselor said. To help the brain create new neural pathways.

• Like 1