Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Overwhelm and Anxiety

PLin

• Members

I feel the same way.  Everything feels overwhelming. Even trying to write a semi-intelligent, heartfelt response to this post is causing me stress. write, delete,write, delete, etc. So for now i will just say I get exactly what you wrote.

• Like 3

• Moderators

We can't do everything they did especially as we age, I've had to let the garden go, I let the leaves mulch and focus on picking up limbs, hauling firewood, building fires, hire out my mowing and tree cutting/trimming and buy firewood.  We have to simplify as we can't do at 90 what we did at 50, it's been 17 years for me, I'm 70 now with injuries that declined my strength, we have to compensate somewhere.

• Hugs 2

• Members
4 hours ago, PLin said:

I find myself in a state of high anxiety, I can't seem to find a way to calm myself

@PLin I am sorry for the loss you have suffered and the pain it is causing you now. I have had some anxiety but nothing like after my husband died last year. It seems that for many I have talked to here, some of it is the new life we are forced into provoking additional/severe anxiety.

In my case, I am disabled (severe bipolar) and my dear husband was my caretaker. My grown daughter is now, and expects a much higher level of functioning from me. She does it in a loving way but it is still traumatic and anxiety provoking to change my life this way.

My therapist suggested choosing a meaningful short phrase and repeating it to reset the anxiety. When I feel the anxiety and troubling thoughts start, I repeat over and over, “Lord I trust you.” until I start to calm down. Mine is, but it doesn’t have to be, spiritual, just affirming like “I am strong enough for this.” I had too been down the breathing etc. path but this finally worked for me. Just a suggestion. <hugs> Peace, BohoKat 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
15 hours ago, BohoKat said:

My therapist suggested choosing a meaningful short phrase and repeating it to reset the anxiety

I used to quote "Cast all your cares on Him for He cares for you." in the middle of the night when my mind would be going and I'd think of everything in the world to worry about but couldn't go to sleep...it didn't work.  I knew all the scriptures on anxiety.  I got on sleeping pills, it's been a lifesaver.  Someone told me they aren't good for me, to which I replied, neither is no sleep, and I tried that for years!  Still take my anxiety meds, 2 of the 3/day they prescribed, not an SSRI, as safe and non addictive as I could find, no side effects.  If I only live to 90 instead of 94 because of them I'm cool with that.  Nothing in my 90s I care to see...my son disagrees, he hasn't tried it yet, he's only 38.

Grief brain-loss of mind
Grief Brain-Widows Brain
Widow Brain

• Hugs 1

• Members
On 10/17/2022 at 7:32 AM, KayC said:

I got on sleeping pills, it's been a lifesaver.  Someone told me they aren't good for me, to which I replied, neither is no sleep, and I tried that for years!  Still take my anxiety meds

@KayC @PLin I agree wholeheartedly. There comes a time sometimes where we have to admit brainpower and sheer will aren’t getting the job done in managing anxiety, sleep, depression etc. No shame in taking/increasing meds under dr supervision if that’s what you need (take some myself). The most important thing is taking care of yourself and staying healthy. Peace, BohoKat 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Thanks, BohoKat.  I am so beyond caring what others think about what I say and do with my life, I'm 70, I've earned the right to do things my way!  :D  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

@KayC there is a wonderful old poem that goes something like “when I am old, I shall purple with a red hat that doesn’t go…” and lists all kinds of “bad behavior,” AKA what other people don’t like.Think that’s where the Red Hat society took their inspiration. I am only 57, but aspire to your bravery! :) 

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Thanks!  I have that poem up on my wall (in purple), my little sister cut it off a t-shirt and framed it when I turned 60! ;)

• Like 1

• Members
On 10/16/2022 at 11:39 AM, PLin said:

It just feels so complicated. 

For me, it's not only that it "feels" complicated, but that it actually IS complicated (for me to have to navigate all of this new territory).

At the same time and with many thanks to DWS, I'm now trying to remember, "It is complicated...but only for now." (I'll get more and more used to this new way of things, and it'll become less and less complicated.)

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2