Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

No social media, or chat, where are the free support groups?

Amy Lyn C

• Members

Hi, My Mother passed away in May from complications related to MS and RA. I journal often, meditate, and talk with friends and family, however I'd like to find a support group too. I don't have social media and don't want to look at a computer screen anymore than I already have to (I work on a laptop 40 hrs a week). Where are the free support groups near Newburyport, MA? I found some that cost $15 a week for a workbook, but peer support should be free. I'm looking for talking, not homework. Online/Zoom/Teams is OK if there's good conversation about grieving.  I can't stay online to check this thread, but if anyone knows of a group in-person or online that actually MEETS and talks, could you please email me at claral44@protonmail.com? I've been looking since May. Thank you, Amy

• Members

Hi Amy,

You might not read this personally. I'm posting it anyhow so maybe someone else reads and also wants to join.

To your question about Newburyport: I have no idea, as I live elsewhere. But I have the same problem I'd love to talk to people and this is just the screen. I think running into people from your little town here exactly, I am not so sure how high the chances are, as it's an international website. I have met people from Brazil, India, Europe, Canada etc. But one tiny town? i think you have to look locally. Why don't you put up up a note at grocers, churches, doctors offices and on local websites or in free papers? Just remember that people grieving might not be the online people, since someone could be in their sixties and more of a " I read the paper" kind of person.  But also younger people lose their parent, so why not both?

In the meantime, if you're willing to put up with us, I'm always up for a zoom.

We used to have that before the summer, but then too many people started travelling, attendance was difficult, and addtionally, free zoom kept being interrupted.

The problem is that there is not a fixed space for it on the website so it kept being moved down. As people post new things, you have to always have someone comment so that it moves up on the page. You might have to ask the webmaster if they can create a special section for it. As last time, people always read too late or couldn't find it. We agreed to start again in the autumn, but I do not see their names online anymore. So maybe you want to start something?

I'm actually also very tired of this just-writing -thing where you just type into the void.

Anyhow, I heard Massachusetts is really beautiful at this time of the year. Are you having the Indian Summer? 

Take good care of yourself and thank you for coming to this website! You have at least found the right people.

Wishing you a beautiful autumn day

summersun

• Like 1