Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Anemia in cats.

Eternalsoul

• Members

Hello everyone,

I've noticed that there's quite a few posts here about anemia in cats 

I am dealing with this with my barely 5 year old cat. She does not deserve this. None of them do.

If anyone who has had a cat with anemia would you please comment on what cat food brand you use???

Please.

• Like 1

• Members

We gave our cat foods that were easy to eat like canned pate. We also gave her supplements like iron supplement etc. If she wasn’t eating (which she wasn’t before the blood transfusions) we were force feeding the pate with a syringe. I don’t know if there are specific foods for anemic cats since  if it’s severe they can’t even eat. After the blood transfusion she would eat anything like crazy , but that helped only for abit …

• Like 1

• Moderators

My feral cat quit eating his canned catfood, I switched it up because of his finickiness.  Gave up and will give him dry.  I thought the canned would be easier since he drools and seems old, but always supplied dry as well.

Good point!

• Members

My Cali is anemic.  Dr Tanner has been my vet for 20 years. He knows I've had a zoo in my house when my daughter was lil and I've remained with at least 2 cats and a dog myself. So he has always helped me out with lil home remedies or things that work as well as the name brand that is ½ the price. So when I asked about Calis anemia he told me to feed her liver. I said ok funny. I see you got jokes. He said that's the best way to replenish.  I said there is no way in the world my girls are going to eat liver. He said try it and if they won't then the only other way is to mix kitten food in with their cat food. He said make sure its got good ingredient in it. No specific name brand just the essential vitamins that kittens need. I said ok I can do that. He said wait. The only drawback of feeding them kitten food is they will gain weight so monitor their weight and how much you give them. You don't want them becoming to overweight and dealing with that problem as well as the anemia.  So I buy a 14 lb bag of Rachel Ray no grain  cat food (flavor of your cats choice)  off of chewy and I buy a 4lb bag of nacho kitten food. It's the best ingredients I've found.  Not a name I'd ever heard of but Calis nose and lips are back to their rosie pinkness. Try it. Maybe it will help. But they have put on some lbs. Next time I buy they're food I'll probably only put ½ the kitten food in with the big bag of food. If you dont buy that much at a time or order off chewy I would advise. It's cheaper and chewy has a selection thats not in the stores. I bought air tight containers to hold the food so it will not go stale

• Like 1