Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Our cat of barely 3 years just died and we’ll never know why

Anna3sere

• Members

She was our first ever pet and she basically chose us. She would visit our balcony (ground floor apartment) and I’d give her food until one day I decided I wanted to adopt her . She looked tiny and not healthy so we took her to the vet the moment we were able to put her in a box . Turned out she’s healthy . And that was barely 3 years ago . The thing is less than 3 months ago she started sleeping a lot and she would hardly eat. She wanted to eat because she was following us to the kitchen every time but when I put her food she would eat one or two bites and then leave . So we took her to the doctor and the tests showed severe anemia. Luckily our other cat (we adopted another rescue in the meantime to keep her company and they loved each other very much ) was the same blood team so we did the transfusion right away. She became better , started eating but then after few days she started showing more and more problems . Skin rushes all over her body, gastroenteritis etc and every time we’d think we cure something , something else would come up. Until she needed a blood transfusion again . I’m not sure how many tests we done on her and they were all negative. No fiv, no autoimmune diseases not anything. 
we had a bone marrow biopsy planned yesterday but at the same night I woke up for no apparent reason and went to check on her . What I saw shocked me deeply . She appeared to suffered a stroke and she couldn’t move or control her eyes. We took her to the vet immediately and he told us that she was probably having underlying neurological problems. We decided to put her down as she was now permanently disabled and her body was pretty much shutting down .

We’re so devastated because at the end we never knew exactly what happened and what caused it and it such a shame that life is so harsh to harmless souls. She was the nicest cat you’ll ever see, she would come up to cuddle and greet you at the front door. Everyone who met her loved her . I lost people before but that’s a whole new pain . 
rest in peace my love . You deserve it 

A85906EA-FE64-4C12-BB23-D7FC688D5519.jpeg

• Sad 1
  • Angel Wings 2

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Anna3sere said:

life is so harsh to harmless souls.

OMG, this is so heartbreaking!  So unfair!  I am so sorry for your loss, and all she went through...yet through it all, a wonderful kitty. :(

Comfort for Grieving Animal Lovers
I hope this brings you some comfort and peace in the time ahead...

• Hugs 1

• Members

One of my cats went to Heaven in February of this year. 

Now, out of nowhere, my 5 year old beautiful cat who helped me get through the grieving process has anemia.

I requested a b12 shot and brought her home. I'm feeding her through a syringe. 

I don't know what happened. I have someone who is putting paranoid thoughts in my mind that my family member poisoned her. I've allowed someone to stay with me in my home. I would hope this isnt true. 

I think she was depressed after my other cat went to Heaven. She stayed in my bedroom a lot. I didn't notice anything until 2 days ago where she wasn't eating. I took her to the vet. 

The doctor took blood test and her best GUESS was Leukimia but looking at the symptoms she doesn't have them. My other cats are fine. She said a bood transfusion would help short term. I'm wondering if she ate a bad spider? I wonder if she ate something she shouldn't have. I wonder if she was so depressed. I'm not sure. She was fine a few days ago. 

It doesn't make sense. 

I keep praying and praying. This is never easy. I'm sorry for what happened to your beautiful cat. 

I pray you see her again.

You're right.

Life is harsh. 

• Like 1

• Members
6 hours ago, KayC said:

OMG, this is so heartbreaking!  So unfair!  I am so sorry for your loss, and all she went through...yet through it all, a wonderful kitty. :(

Comfort for Grieving Animal Lovers
I hope this brings you some comfort and peace in the time ahead...

Thanks a lot ❤️ she was and will always be.

• Like 1

• Members
3 hours ago, Eternalsoul said:

One of my cats went to Heaven in February of this year. 

Now, out of nowhere, my 5 year old beautiful cat who helped me get through the grieving process has anemia.

I requested a b12 shot and brought her home. I'm feeding her through a syringe. 

I don't know what happened. I have someone who is putting paranoid thoughts in my mind that my family member poisoned her. I've allowed someone to stay with me in my home. I would hope this isnt true. 

I think she was depressed after my other cat went to Heaven. She stayed in my bedroom a lot. I didn't notice anything until 2 days ago where she wasn't eating. I took her to the vet. 

The doctor took blood test and her best GUESS was Leukimia but looking at the symptoms she doesn't have them. My other cats are fine. She said a bood transfusion would help short term. I'm wondering if she ate a bad spider? I wonder if she ate something she shouldn't have. I wonder if she was so depressed. I'm not sure. She was fine a few days ago. 

It doesn't make sense. 

I keep praying and praying. This is never easy. I'm sorry for what happened to your beautiful cat. 

I pray you see her again.

You're right.

Life is harsh. 

We also got asked if there was a chance she ate anything bad but that wasn’t the case. 
I been through everything you mentioned in your comment. I wish I could help you . My only advice would be to just do a bone marrow biopsy as it is the probably the fastest and more specific way to find an answer. We didn’t get to do ours but if I could do one test again it would be this.

I hope from the bottom of my heart whatever your kitty has is treatable and will be fine soon ❤️

thanks so much for your kind words 

I’m really grateful and I hope I see her too ❤️🩹

• Hugs 1
  • Angel Wings 1

• Members

@Anna3sere@anne@Anna3sere

I don't think I'll do a biopsy. I don't know if she'd survive the surgery. 

I'm truly sorry you went and are going through this. Life is unfair. She was/is beautiful. I bet she's prettier in her spirit form. 

Nevertheless, this is ddevastating. Just lost my other cat 8 months ago. Just when I was starting to feel a tad bit better. It never goes away.. the pain. 

But I find comfort in knowing death is NEVER the end. 

Thank you for your kind words, as well. 

I'm sure she's watching over you. 

• Like 1

• Members

I just lost my 5 year old Yorkie to Cushing's disease, last Sunday. My brain still can't make sense of the loss. I've cried for hours off and on and thinking of her consumes my nearly every waking thought. I am very sorry that you are going through the same kind of pain, but the people on this site have been great support. Reading their experiences and how they have learned to cope helps a great deal!! I hope you find the strength you need

• Like 1
  • Angel Wings 1

• Members

@DogMom1

I an so very sorry. 5 is young. My little baby is 5, too. I don't understand why or how. She was just running around the other day and now this.

I hope you find strength and comfort in knowing there is no such thing as death and you will see your Yorkie again.

Hugs to you and everyone going through heartbreak. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Eternalsoul said:

Now, out of nowhere, my 5 year old beautiful cat who helped me get through the grieving process has anemia

OMG!  I am so sorry!  Try not to let the death thoughts creep in, I understand, so soon after your other one, with symptoms presenting, the B12 shot should help.  Praying!!

• Members
On 10/9/2022 at 12:16 AM, DogMom1 said:

I just lost my 5 year old Yorkie to Cushing's disease, last Sunday. My brain still can't make sense of the loss. I've cried for hours off and on and thinking of her consumes my nearly every waking thought. I am very sorry that you are going through the same kind of pain, but the people on this site have been great support. Reading their experiences and how they have learned to cope helps a great deal!! I hope you find the strength you need

It’s true, people here have been very supportive and I feel so much better sharing my little one’s story.

I’m so sorry for your loss and the pain. 
we’ll eventually feel better ❤️🩹 

• Like 1

• Members

I'm so very sorry for your loss. She's such a beautiful, sweet looking little girl.  

It sounds like you did everything possible to save her. You gave her a wonderful, loving home and the best possible life while she was on this earth. It's so hard to let them go. I always feel as though I could have done more or at times that I did too much. They leave such an emptiness when gone.

Rest in peace, little one.

• Like 1