Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Thinking about moving...

Robert D.

• Members

Robert D, ditto, ditto, ditto, for me as well, as I've been experiencing things on my side. For me and my hubby, we were both retired, so it doesn't even make sense to me that I feel weekends differently than weekdays...but, even so, I do. So, I can't even imagine how much more difficult it is for you. <Comforting hugs -- which I know don't really help, but I've got nothing else to offer right here>.

The "generally accepted professional counsel" is to not make such big decisions when we are still feeling in the throes of our trauma, loss and grief. But. I've very much lost confidence in these self-declared and so-called "professional" counsels and 'advices' and 'experts'. For me, I'm changing everything possible that I can change -- that feels 'inwardly right' for me to change -- and just making sure that I'm not putting my life or housing situation or finances at risk or in jeopardy with my decisions, choices and changes.

Love and hugs, and best of everything as you come to your own conclusions of what will be best for you, going forward.   Ronni

• Like 3

• Members

I'd say I'm with KayC on this one. Your thoughts are so understandable but you may want to give it a bit more time before you go changing everything else in your life. You're going through such tremendous, devastating trauma...still very early grief. What happens to so many of us in early grief is we're searching for some way to control the situation. We become impatient with ourselves in thinking that we need to do something...anything...to take away this immense pain.

I'm a big believer in the ego vs the soul (the heart) and with loss of a loved one, the soul takes over. Loving memories take centre stage and are truly unbearable at times. Let me tell you...the tears I've cried driving along the familiar streets where Tom and I walked so many times over the years made me use other pathways just so I didn't feel so much pain. I have a couch that I have not sat on since his passing because that's where we sat in the evenings holding hands watching TV. At one point, I thought of getting rid of the couch...rid of those memories...but it now is, in some crazy way, symbolic and represents our love. I'm glad my ego didn't win out on that one.

Unless your heart has been set on eventually moving back to Dallas even before this nightmare happened...perhaps you and your wife had discussions around it...try to give yourself a little more time living in this excruciating tension. Certainly explore and research the option of moving (which I'm sure you've already been doing)...that may satisfy the ego in this moment. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

DWS....Gail8588..... I appreciate what you both said very much.. and it has really helped me too and it is all correct.. I am not moving.. but I got to a place where as you said, the reality is really getting hard and Everywhere You Look is the memories that are making things very unbearable!!, "excruciating"...at the moment. To both of you.. your thoughtfulness and advice has been taken to heart and I appreciate it very much!! Thank you!! God less!!

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Kevin O

That is my story as well.. after someone you love dies who is that close to you.. you come in here on the grief site and you see the story repeated over and over and over again.. but you have a bunch of wonderful people in here.. and I can't say how wonderful they are because they go beyond wonderful as far as I'm concerned.. and they have all been through it and you're describing exactly what everyone's gone through.. I went through it yesterday... it was horrible... I've been going through the weekends like you're talking about ....horrible just constant sorrow... more and more cold hard reality hitting every second kind of thing.... but I'm trusting the Lord God who made the Heavens and the Earth to see me through this and I know that when we put our trust in Him he will help us all.. and also the friends in here that will really help you also and give you great advice.. I've already been speared from making many bad decisions by the great advice and kindness of the wonderful people in here and I know that they will help you too.. praying for you God bless!

Robert

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Kevin O said:

I lost my partner on August 12, 2022.  The first few weekends after he died, I was busy with the stuff that comes after death.  Then about the 4th weekend I realized that a 2-day weekend is too long.

I am so sorry for your loss, you aren't even two months out yet, a very hard time for sure.  I'm glad you found this site and hope you find comfort knowing there are others here that get it and understand.  We all wish you peace and comfort in the days ahead, and I remember all too well my early time, the weekends were the hardest, no work to distract me, no people around, it was tough.

Grief Process

This is not a one-size-fits-all, what strikes us one day will be different a few months/years from now, so please save/print this for reference!

I want to share an article I wrote of the things I've found helpful over the years, in the hopes something will be of help to you either now or on down the road.

TIPS TO MAKE YOUR WAY THROUGH GRIEF

There's no way to sum up how to go on in a simple easy answer, but I encourage you to read the other threads here, little by little you will learn how to make your way through this.  I do want to give you some pointers though, of some things I've learned on my journey.

• Take one day at a time.  The Bible says each day has enough trouble of its own, I've found that to be true, so don't bite off more than you can chew.  It can be challenging enough just to tackle today.  I tell myself, I only have to get through today.  Then I get up tomorrow and do it all over again.  To think about the "rest of my life" invites anxiety.
  • Don't be afraid, grief may not end but it evolves.  The intensity lessens eventually.
  • Visit your doctor.  Tell them about your loss, any troubles sleeping, suicidal thoughts, anxiety attacks.  They need to know these things in order to help you through it...this is all part of grief.
  • Suicidal thoughts are common in early grief.  If they're reoccurring, call a suicide hotline.  I felt that way early on, but then realized it wasn't that I wanted to die so much as I didn't want to go through what I'd have to face if I lived.  Back to taking a day at a time.  Suicide Hotline - Call 1-800-273-8255 or www.crisis textline.org or US and Canada: text 741741 UK: text 85258 | Ireland: text 50808
  • Give yourself permission to smile.  It is not our grief that binds us to them, but our love, and that continues still.
  • Try not to isolate too much.  
  • There's a balance to reach between taking time to process our grief, and avoiding it...it's good to find that balance for yourself.  We can't keep so busy as to avoid our grief, it has a way of haunting us, finding us, and demanding we pay attention to it!  Some people set aside time every day to grieve.  I didn't have to, it searched and found me!
  • Self-care is extremely important, more so than ever.  That person that would have cared for you is gone, now you're it...learn to be your own best friend, your own advocate, practice self-care.  You'll need it more than ever.
  • Recognize that your doctor isn't trained in grief, find a professional grief counselor that is.  We need help finding ourselves through this maze of grief, knowing where to start, etc.  They have not only the knowledge, but the resources.
  • In time, consider a grief support group.  If your friends have not been through it themselves, they may not understand what you're going through, it helps to find someone somewhere who DOES "get it". 
  • Be patient, give yourself time.  There's no hurry or timetable about cleaning out belongings, etc.  They can wait, you can take a year, ten years, or never deal with it.  It's okay, it's what YOU are comfortable with that matters.  
  • Know that what we are comfortable with may change from time to time.  That first couple of years I put his pictures up, took them down, up, down, depending on whether it made me feel better or worse.  Finally, they were up to stay.
  • Consider a pet.  Not everyone is a pet fan, but I've found that my dog helps immensely.  It's someone to love, someone to come home to, someone happy to see me, someone that gives me a purpose...I have to come home and feed him.  Besides, they're known to relieve stress.  Well maybe not in the puppy stage when they're chewing up everything, but there's older ones to adopt if you don't relish that stage.
  • Make yourself get out now and then.  You may not feel interest in anything, things that interested you before seem to feel flat now.  That's normal.  Push yourself out of your comfort zone just a wee bit now and then.  Eating out alone, going to a movie alone or church alone, all of these things are hard to do at first.  You may feel you flunked at it, cried throughout, that's okay, you did it, you tried, and eventually you get a little better at it.  If I waited until I had someone to do things with I'd be stuck at home a lot.
  • Keep coming here.  We've been through it and we're all going through this together.
  • Look for joy in every day.  It will be hard to find at first, but in practicing this, it will change your focus so you can embrace what IS rather than merely focusing on what ISN'T.  It teaches you to live in the present and appreciate fully.  You have lost your big joy in life, and all other small joys may seem insignificant in comparison, but rather than compare what used to be to what is, learn the ability to appreciate each and every small thing that comes your way...a rainbow, a phone call from a friend, unexpected money, a stranger smiling at you, whatever the small joy, embrace it.  It's an art that takes practice and is life changing if you continue it.
  • Eventually consider volunteering.  It helps us when we're outward focused, it's a win/win.

(((hugs)))  Praying for you today.

• Hugs 1

• Members

@Robert D. I’ve nothing new to add here really but just also wanted to encourage you also to put off a move until some time has gone by. I received that advice after my husband passed from someone who had been there and I’m now glad I did!                                                    Initially my escape was driving. I would get in the car and just drive. Didn’t matter where, just to “get away”. I also had someone who came into my life for a short period of time who I could talk to. That was a game changer for me. I am someone who needs to talk to “process” and the things he heard during that time! Said that to say, I know the grief that can make you feel almost like you might fall completely apart… I’m here to “listen” if you (or anyone) gets to the point that they feel about to fall apart. No judgement, no censorship, just someone to listen and share with who has “been there”.
I too have a strong faith in Jesus and that will help you through too…and to know you will see her again someday. Hold on to that faith and relationship with Him! 🤍 

love, hugs & understanding, Sally 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members

KayC.....I'm staying put....for many reasons,...indolence, not being the least of those....and i am very grateful for your wisdom and insight and counsel....and also the others who have advised very wisely on this. Thank you friends!!

Robert

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

LMR....I am very sorry about your sister...and of course, your spouse too. I appreciate..a lot..you taking the time to share your experience and wisdom...and concern..on this with me. I am learning from all of you in here the great dangers/mistakes/ and the mine field's of emotion that make us all want to split the scene..and we feel like doing it....like right now, yesterday...And I can see it now....all we really do have are the memories...tangible and otherwise......and all I do every single day now...is every time I pass something that JoAnn wore...or touched...or made....my hands immediately touch...hug or kiss it....that is everyday, every hour now. My beloved Jo's pink robe is hanging on the bathroom door right now... that robe gets kissed and hugged everytime I pass it...and if I forget...I turn around and go back....I see and feel very clearly...Clint Eastwood Clearly...what you are saying. If I left here...and I have thought about it many times....it would be a disaster....emotional and who knows what else. I appreciate you LMR..! Thank you....we are all traveling through, with... this nightmare/daymare together...., which I've learned from all of you wonderful people in here. Thank you!! God bless!!

Robert

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, Robert D. said:

My beloved Jo's pink robe is hanging on the bathroom door right now...

Yes, George's robe has been hanging on the door for over 17 years!  I like to wrap it around me when I need his comfort.

24 minutes ago, Sally72 said:

Praying for each of you here!

Thank you, Sally!  I appreciate it!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
On 10/7/2022 at 7:12 AM, KayC said:

My first inclination is to hold off a huge decision like that but you alone know how you are feeling...I would just hate to see you regret it and unable to hit an undo button.  It does take time, much time to process our grief.  Some choose to move, some to stay, I'm one who stayed, in the beginning it was a trigger as everywhere I turned was something that reminded me of him...now I find comfort in that and the memories.  Just give it careful thought before acting on it.:wub:

Exactly........

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
On 10/8/2022 at 2:54 PM, Robert D. said:

KayC.....I'm staying put....for many reasons,...indolence, not being the least of those....[...]

Dear Robert D, I am so happy to hear this.

'Google' tells me that one definition of 'indolence' is "avoidance of activity or exertion; laziness". But. If you will allow me to argue against 'Google', you are staying put for reasons opposed with, and to not get sucked into, "avoidance of exertion; laziness." That is, and, again, just me hearing you, as best I can (which ain't so great, as a given), you are "staying put", as you put it and as it comes across to me -- because you REFUSE to "avoid" and "be lazy" about your own emotions and having to deal with them and having to go through them. (My take may not be accurate, and, if not, please do forgive.

(In any case, dealing with our sense of loss and grief cannot be done, in my own experience and in any case, if we also feel {emotionally} "lazy". That is, we are always and ever very engaged and participating in our own loss and grief; never being "lazy" about it, even if we wanted to be.  For me, maybe it's not "indolence" -- if we go by the aforementioned Google definition of that feeling and sense and word. (Which I never take as 'gospel, anyway.) Maybe it is, of course. But. Maybe it's not and is something else entirely, instead. (?)

Perhaps it is that you are "staying put" out of determination, "inner sense", or something else? (rather than "emotional laziness and avoidance", I mean.) ? There is the concept of, "wherever I go, there I am." (various authors have been accredited), and it just seems that you've realized that, even if you do move, all of your memories will move/go with you -- you cannot, and I cannot, and we cannot just "move from" or run away from the memories that hurt us.

We do need to "stay put" until we know for sure -- or have a really deep 'inner sense' that we need to be somewhere else. We cannot just 'run away' from where we are, and think that we are all-of-sudden "over there" feel less sad and more happy, content and fulfilled.

I'm happy for you, Robert D.

• Like 3

• Members

@Robert D.   Robert, I hear you, weekends can be torturous.  Lucky I can usually pick up freelance work on Saturday. But that still leaves Sunday...
Such helpful advice here from others.  Grief messes with our heads.  I like what @DWS said about ego vs soul.
My story is similar to that of @LMR.  After my wife passed I lived alone for 1 year in the Asian megacity where we'd been living for years. It felt like the right thing to do. I have no regrets. Seven months in, I decided to leave because I no longer had the patience for the increasingly restrictive lifestyle due to the pandemic, government measures, etc.  Plus, I believe my wife was tapping me on the shoulder.  So back to North America to live with my aging parents.  Again no regrets about the move.  Recently I visited a bigger city on the west coast where my wife and I met.  It was the city where we'd lived before moving overseas. Lots of memories. I don't know if I will move back to that west coast city but I'm glad I got my boots on the ground to get a feel for it rather than make a HUGE decision to go all in  when I'm not sure it's where I want to live. My gut / soul isn't presenting an answer one way or another about moving.  There is still lots of uncertainty 17 months after my wife passed. I wish I could get this grief over with but I know it's not something that just ends like a work shift. I'd encourage you not to act too hastily with big life decisions. Of course in the end you have to do what feels right for you.

• Like 3

• Members

Jemiga70, you touch on something that I've been starting to very much think/feel about...yet, your perspective is in a different way than I've yet been doing it.

This idea of us being able to "get this grief over with". For me - and only for me -- I  don't know if it's a reasonable and realistic "wish" or goal or aim, for me. I'd really love to hope, wish, think and dream that it is a reasonable and realistic expectation; for my own self, to be able to hope, wish, think (visualize/envision) and dream it for myself, that I will some day be able to just "get [my] grief over with".

Most importantly what I take from what you said, is to make decisions that, even before we act on it, we have a stable 'foundation' that we're not going to regret it -- we might end up changing it, but won't beat-up on ourself for having decided to test-out those waters. (Sort of, to give a very simplistic example of things that we have to take into consideration even though we're still grieving, first have a contract for a new job, before you quit your current job, to ensure to be able to maintain your housing situation.)

For my own way of how I try to follow my gut/Soul, which I'm trying to wait until I feel strongly about which way to go: If I'm not yet feeling strongly (as you are not yet feeling strongly about one way or another about moving), then I wait or try to be patient with myself, and wait. That is. I try to "stay put", as Robert D. put it earlier... until I get a sense of a 'prioritized message'. Which 'sense' can come in a second, even after I've been meditating on it for weeks...then...BOOM! YEAH!  (Or, for that matter...BOOM! NO!)  It's not easy to explain how it feels, internally, when it comes. But, Jemiga70, I think I kind of get it, what you're saying.   Love and hugs, and best,   Ronni

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Kevin O said:

While I know they meant no harm I no longer share how I am feeling with them.   They just can't understand how mentally, emotionally and physically draining this grief process is.  And I hope that they never do.  

Oh how true this statement is!  Unless/until you've been through it, you can't know, and while some souls are empathetic by nature, most simply "fail" at their "responses."  It's almost as if we have to TEACH them how to respond in grief!  Just what we're up to when getting up is already more than we can handle (sarcasm intended)!  Sometimes I wanted to print out the following and hand to them or forward in an email...
Help another in grief

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
16 hours ago, Ronni_W said:

This idea of us being able to "get this grief over with".

@Ronni_W  I know it's not possible, for me.  Thats why I used the word "wish."  "I wish . . . but I know grief doesnt work like that."  Grief for me is not something that can be got over, though some days I wish it could be.  My hope is that in time more space grows around it.  I heard somebody say that our grief is not a badge of honor; our LOVE is.  And what you said about listening to your gut / soul. . . exactly, that's how I'm approaching it. The hardest part is being patient.  Somebody once told me "If you don't know what to do (e.g. a decision), then do nothing till you do know what to do."  Take care Ronni,

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
10 hours ago, Jemiga70 said:

The hardest part is being patient.  Somebody once told me "If you don't know what to do (e.g. a decision), then do nothing till you do know what to do." 

Yep...I learned that it's called "living within the tension" and it has its importance in our lives. Our fast and aggressive culture leaves us believing that decisions need to be made and the quicker the better. We may need to do that in life or death situations and also the workplace but when it comes to important personal matters, choosing this or that isn't easy so rather than making a quick choice and living with the consequences, sometimes it's best to live within the tension. The answer very often arises while we remain there and yes, it does require a lot of patience and observance. The best thing we can do for ourselves is to understand that something is actually taking place even if we're standing there doing nothing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Yes, indeed. I'm not sure the author, but, "Wherever you go, there you are."  We can move physical locations, but we'll be taking all of our love and memories and sense of loss and grief, and everything else in our hearts, minds and Souls with us. For me...I get it that this is the case, even if I don't like it all that much. (The Jim Carey movie, about being able to have our memories erased/deleted...but...I don't want that, either. <sad sigh; sad smile>.)

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1