Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of both parents within 8 months has got me down. Superdown

nictwo

• Members

I lost both my parents within 8 months of each other. My dad passed from an overdose. And my mother of a stroke. Both within 8 months. And I am not coping well. Trying to get my own life together. But it's falling apart as we speak. Any comforting words or anything would be appreciated..

• Hugs 1

• Members
Wandering Soul

Hello, Nictwo. 

Welcome to this forum.  I'm sorry that you've experienced the loss of both of your parents in such rapid succession.  You haven't really had the chance to work through the grieving process of your father's passing and are now faced with starting the process over with your mother's passing.  As your father passed away from an overdose, I'm sure that this adds an additional layer to the grief you're feeling.  You've come to the right place to reach out to others who are experiencing similar loss.  You are not alone in your journey.

I too experienced the rapid loss of both of my parents (not in 8 months like you, but in two years).  I can't explain it, but such a quick loss of parents can make you feel almost abandoned and/or orphaned - no matter your age.  I can't speak for you, but I felt like I was left alone to battle the world on my own!  It was a overwhelming, confusing time.

Do you have a support system close by to help you through these trying times?  I ask this, because going through these feelings and grief on your own is a very lonesome feeling and can lead you to a dark place.  We are all different, and find comfort in various ways while grieving.  Sometimes, the anonymity of posting on this forum aids in our ability to express how we're truly feeling without judgement. 

Finding people who you can relate to your situation and with whom you can talk to you often helps ease the loneliness and feelings of despair, setting you on a healthier course to healing.  Counseling may also be an option for you to consider if those resources are available to you.

If you feel like sharing more, come back to the forum and post.  

My hope for you is that you find peace during this difficult time.  Remember taking small steps to healing adds up over time.  Don't give up! 

Wandering Soul

• Like 1

• Members

@nictwo My boyfriend lost his parents within 3 months of one another. It hasn’t even been a year since the first loss. He is struggling and I am trying to help him but he is angry and shutting me out. While I’m not the one who experienced the loss, I will suggest one thing. Rely on your support system. Whether that’s one person or more. They love you and want to help but they may not know what you need. Tell them. Yes you will need time alone, but too much alone time can also be detrimental. Let your loved ones love you bc they truly want to help any way they can. I’m truly sorry for your loss.

• Like 1