Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Went to Goodwill....got a book...

Robert D.

• Members

I decided to venture over into an area by Walmart where my wife shopped a lot.. and there's a Goodwill there.. so I dropped in there and went over to where the books are.. I prayed before I went in there that if there was something God wanted me to have I would find it....The book I got: ' Thou Art With Me...Passing  on of Companions'...by Anna Mary Zimmerman.....Will peruse a little tonight...., as I will also be studying the Word tonight. You never know what you'll find in the used books. Up until last August I would have shoved that book aside. I picked it up off the shelf a while ago like it was pure gold.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

@Robert D. …. I enjoy goodwill and especially the book section! 🙂 Yes, never know what you will find there! … Your post brought to mind praying with my husband. How I miss that!!! So much! I’d give much to kneel down beside the bed together again with his right arm around me and his left hand holding mine and hear his voice in prayer! Such sweet, sweet memories! I miss the prayers, I miss his arms, I miss his voice… it’s coming up on 5 years and the pain and tears are less now than the first several years but so much I still miss! Sometimes the lonely just about does me in 😕 He talked everything over with me and I miss the talking &  sharing, so so much!! I couldn’t wish him back to this world after his time in the presence of Jesus (2Cor. 5:6-8) and I rejoice for him, however a place in my heart that was his is empty. I love how you shared about praying before you went in! I talk out loud to God all of the time. Something so special and comforting in doing so! Anyway, just wanted to say Thank you for sharing because it brought me special memories when I read your post! 🤍 Sally 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Sally72 said:

it’s coming up on 5 years and the pain and tears are less now than the first several years but so much I still miss!

Yes...I am so so sorry for your loss...5 years, you have survived much already.  Over 17 for me and I can't believe it!  I am truly growing old without him, this was not the plan!  Welcome here, I'm glad you found us!

14 hours ago, Robert D. said:

' Thou Art With Me...Passing  on of Companions'...by Anna Mary Zimmerman...

It sounds like a good book!  I hope you enjoyed your reading!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Sally,..KayC..... Thank you!.. My wife and I used to do that.... pray together ..and study the Scriptures together. I miss that very much as you do.. I was just talking about this recently with a very dear friend about how it would be wrong of us to want our beloved love to come back to us after being in the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ,... as we are to love the Lord Jesus Christ above all... but the Lord's Word also tells us to love our wives (I only had one yall.  haha) .."even as Christ also loved the church,"

I read the first chapter last night in that book from Goodwill.l;... it looks to be a book that will be very helpful and comforting.. with much to learn from. The book is various people and their stories in it. I know very recently, as the others here know, what it is to lose someone you love with all your heart and soul. As KayC said.. I am glad that you, my sister in Christ, are here with us. I just prayed for you and KayC....And,.... if anyone wants to discuss and share the King James Scriptures with me...I will be very happy to do so. God bless! Robert

• Like 2

• Members

I for one would really enjoy that Robert! I don’t feel very qualified but I would enjoy it. I grew up with King James Version but I still struggle to understand so much of it! Some of the other versions make it a little clearer but still it’s hard for me. As I shared with a friend awhile ago, I can spend an hour or even sometimes a bit more in prayer, (in prayer I really feel close to Jesus and so fills/comforts/stills/& brings peace to my heart!)  talking with Him but I struggle to spend time reading His word. 😞 Sometimes I feel a bit guilty or like there is something wrong with me… … So yes!, if I can get up the courage to not be afraid of being vulnerable and looking ignorant! 😏  … I would enjoy that! 
Do u mind sharing what church u attend? 

• Like 2

• Members

Sally72....JoAnn and I went to various churches, non-denominational...or baptist...or a Grace church. ..in the early days of our marriage,... then in later years I taught at home. As far as the King James....there are really only a few to 5 words that each take less than a minute, if that, to learn, the context showing us what it means. For e.g., what does "saith" and "cometh: mean in this verse:

(John 14:6 KJ) Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. 

....Not hard....right? The Word is learned by little children first...where we are on the "milk" of the Word. Then, we are to "study" (2 Tim 2:15 KJ) it, that word is missing in the modern "versions. " If you don't mind, ... and by the way, you will not be vulnerable or ignorant.. it's a wonderful thing for us all to help each other grow in the Word;.... please tell me what Bible you use so I can give you an example or two of this. 

Thanks! Robert

• Like 2

• Members

Sally72.. by the way, they have a way to do a private text in here, if you would like to do that privately;... it's okay with me.

• Like 1

• Members

Robert D … I mostly still read the King James. Sometimes I will turn to the NLT, ESV, or even ERV to try a bit to get a clearer picture of what I am reading. But King James Version is what I predominantly use/read. 
I mostly understand the words (such as saith & cometh) …it’s hard to explain I guess what I mean. It’s more when I read I want to “feel” in my heart what my eyes/mind are/is absorbing. I want to understand it in my head AND in my heart. … 🤷🏼‍♀️… I process by talking things through and when I just read and can’t truly understand in my heart, and have no one to process/talk/share/ask questions then I guess I get “stuck”… 😏 still not sure that says how it is for me but it’s a stab at it! 😄 

@Robert D.… I’m new to here so I didn’t know there is a way to private txt. That’s fine with me. How does that work? 

• Like 1

• Members
6 hours ago, KayC said:

Yes...I am so so sorry for your loss...5 years, you have survived much already.  Over 17 for me and I can't believe it!  I am truly growing old without him, this was not the plan!  Welcome here, I'm glad you found us!

Yes, KayC I’m so glad too! I actually found you all by mistake (not that I believe it was a mistake!) … 🙂 I struggle much, (along with missing the companionship and conversation and person to parent with and, and, and!…all of the other stuff…) I’ll just be very open and honest with you, I miss the physical/sexual part of us! So in googling something about that is how I came across u all here. Someone had posted on this subject and in reading that I “found” u all here! 😊  It’s such a wonderful place! I’d love to have had you all back 5 years ago…might have kept me from some of the choices I made back then (that I could/should have done better at!) during the deepest part of my grief journey. However, I’m here now and it’s so wonderful to be able to share in a healthy way and talk about him. … I feel I understand a bit about the growing old part of what u shared, for me it is that we never go to do the things we had talked about doing “when we got older!” 

Anyway, hugs 🤗 and love ❤️ and Thank you so much for the warm welcome! 😊 

• Like 1

• Members

Sally72... I sent you a Scriptural  Lesson. God bless!

Robert

• Like 1

• Members

Sally72 

I am sorry for your loss. I am glad you found this forum. For me reading other post has helped me so. I lost my husband 9 months ago to COVID-19. He was only 54 and was on good health. Never been hospitalized until COVID-19. Praying has helped me. I will pray for your strength.

Virtual hug Lost7 

• Like 2

• Members

@Lost7 I sorry for your loss too! 54 IS young! Thank you for your prayers for me, and I too will pray for you! Knowing and feeling others were praying for me got me through some pretty rough stuff in the beginning, now almost 5 years out though, people seem to hardly remember. It’s so great to have a place to share 😊 and remember! 🤍 

• Like 1

• Members

Sally72

I can't imagine 5 years out and trying to keep my loves memory alive. I have notice people moving on now seemly forgetting us. It is hurtful, but I know it is not intentional. 

Hugs Lost7 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Lost7 said:

I have notice people moving on now seemly forgetting us. It is hurtful, but I know it is not intentional. 

It seems to be the natural order or way of things, but it still doesn't make it any easier.  It happened to me too, I think to most of us.

Robert, I am Baptist too. A very small country church...

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

KayC.....I grew up Baptist in Dallas....the beltbuckle on that Bible belt, as it were......I am non-denominational nowdays....Thanks for sharing that....and I hope you...and i...will continue to grow in God's Word.. , which has eternal treasures within its pages;....and they can be found, when:  actually being a believer in Jesus Christ (1 Cor 2:14 KJ), having His Word (Col 2:3 KJ), and rightly dividing them (2 Tim 2:15 KJ). I am thinking about teaching a class to a Sunday school..,  if I can ever get to church again...(.I'm home today,...couldn't sleep again),...but, teaching a class on how to study and how to approach God's Word. God bless friend! Robert

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1