Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Holidays

Lost7

• Members

As I am fairly new to this forum, I was wondering if some of you that have already been through one or two holidays ie Thanksgiving, Christmas have any tips for getting through these difficult days. For me it will start in October because that is when my husband's birthday is and it will end January 5th his death anniversary. Please if anyone has any suggestions that have helped them get through the holidays I would be grateful

Virtual hug Lost7 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members

April 

I am so sorry that you don't feel well I will pray for you Please keep me updated.

Virtual hug Lost7 

Moises and Sim7079 

A greatly appreciate your response thank you so much I pray you both are doing well as you can be.

Virtual hug

Lost7 

• Hugs 1

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Lost7 said:

have any tips for getting through these difficult days

Listen to your heart...I forced myself to do Christmas that first year for my kids (then young adults) who wanted to do it...going out and cutting a tree down (son) and decorating it (daughter)..  I finally bought a fake one, easier as I age.  I've done it every year since...remembering...the ornaments he had...I made his Christmas Stocking, bought him his ornaments, the first in his life ever.  I am not sure I have it in me this year..  Will see.

I made it through July 4th, Labor Day, my birthday, our anniversary, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Valentine's Day, but when I got to Easter I major rebelled!  I told my kids I'm not going to church (I always did) and not having a special dinner!  So the day went by unnoticed...sort of, I think it was palpable but unmentioned.  The next Sunday I fixed a big special dinner...we made no mention of Easter, just had the dinner together.  The next was his bdy and five days later his death day (Father's Day) and I was alone for those.  I've been alone ever since.

So if you feel like commemorating the days or not, listen to your heart, don't force yourself to do what you are not up to.

14 hours ago, April Ballou said:

Lee is taking care of the kids 

I'm not feeling well

I am so sorry!!  Hope and pray you get well soon!

• Hugs 1

• Members

KayC thank you so much for taking the time and letting me know how you got through the holidays. As I mentioned his birthday is at the end of October and then you know the holidays will follow and then followed by his death anniversary January 5th my birthday is January 1st so I'm not looking forward to the rest of the year at all I will be keeping you in my prayers You have been so faithful to everyone who has come to this forum and I'm grateful for you. 

Hugs Lost7 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
23 hours ago, Lost7 said:

his birthday is at the end of October and then you know the holidays will follow and then followed by his death anniversary January 5th my birthday is January 1st

Wow, that is a lot at once!  Praying you get through this...

• Like 2

• Members
On 9/17/2022 at 2:57 PM, Lost7 said:

any tips for getting through these difficult days

What I did last year after losing husband to cancer in the spring:

Thanksgiving was his favorite holiday and we cooked together. It was usually big and at our house. I could not face that so let my mom host the celebration instead. It kept me occupied talking and I could excuse myself for a cry when I couldn’t handle it anymore. Will probably do the same this year, just too raw.

Christmas was easier putting up the tree was usually just me and it’s my favorite part. The simple beauty kept my spirits up even when I was crying through the memories. So alter the traditions if you can but celebrating helped me.

Good luck <hugs>

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

@Lost7  I made no commitments to myself or to anyone.  I was noncommittal to everyone. Nobody pressured me.  I kept my options open until the day of.  So for instance, last Christmas Day a couple friends invited me over to watch movies and open gifts.  I felt like going, I felt like being around others (it was only the 3 of us so I could handle that) and so I went.  It was a good decision.  For my wife's birthday I felt better spending the time alone, just me and her in spirit, at home.  Someone here said it earlier, just do what youre comfortable with. For me I didnt know what I was comfortable with until the day of.  You have to make YOU the priority.  Still learning that.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1