Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I'll give it a try...

Don-Tony

• Members

So I've been looking for a way to connect with people who might understand and its hard at a local level but I do find it a little easier here. So I'd like to try something. I want to share a story about my lost one. Not to cheer me up because I dont think it will. But for me I know that one of the things I miss most is talking about my little brother and the dumb crap he used to do. I want to talk about him. He was and still IS a person. And I think that sometimes we let them fade into time and it makes it worse. Sure, we get asked about what happened to them, A LOT, but what about the person they were the person they ARE. So I ask if you are willing, to share a story, it doesn't have to be profound or life altering just something about them.

Aaron LOVED sandwiches. We would drive down the road and if I asked where he would want to eat he would rate places by their sandwiches. He would call me to tell me about the amazing sandwich he was experiencing usually with a mouthful of it. One year for thanksgiving he decided he would make the turkey. He brined it for days, prepared it, kept a hawks eye on it all day. And then we ate it and it was damned tasty. He didnt say much about it, but after the meal he got up and started to finish carving the bird. His reason... he was already looking forward to tomorrow's sandwich. It was more than just the meat. You needed the right bread, the cheese to  compliment all. The right amount of other toppings so that not one thing overpowered another. This year for his birthday I decided to make an Aaron sandwich, one he would have loved to eat and would have called me about. My plan is to try it every year until i get it just right. This year it was an Italian. There was bit too much bread and I overstuffed it a bit. I'm not sure what this year will bring to the table 

• Like 1

• Members
8 hours ago, Don-Tony said:

Aaron LOVED sandwiches. We would drive down the road and if I asked where he would want to eat he would rate places by their sandwiches. He would call me to tell me about the amazing sandwich he was experiencing usually with a mouthful of it. One year for thanksgiving he decided he would make the turkey. He brined it for days, prepared it, kept a hawks eye on it all day. And then we ate it and it was damned tasty. He didnt say much about it, but after the meal he got up and started to finish carving the bird. His reason... he was already looking forward to tomorrow's sandwich. It was more than just the meat. You needed the right bread, the cheese to  compliment all. The right amount of other toppings so that not one thing overpowered another. This year for his birthday I decided to make an Aaron sandwich, one he would have loved to eat and would have called me about. My plan is to try it every year until i get it just right. This year it was an Italian. There was bit too much bread and I overstuffed it a bit. I'm not sure what this year will bring to the table 

Don-Tony, you and Aaron made me smile and laugh! So, thanks to you both, for that. 💗. My now-deceased husband was also like that...knew exactly what he liked and how he liked it, so I can totally relate to getting it all "right" and complementary and nothing overpowering anything else!  For my hubby though, when it came to sandwiches, he only liked hot (cooked) ones...his 'signature sandwich' was bacon-cheese. (I know it sounds dead simple to make...but he really could do it the best of every one else! <LOL>.)

I think though...maybe Aaron (and my hubby) might have changed their tastes a bit by now, and maybe you did make it "just right" this time...and the next time we'll also make it "just right" for them, again? Maybe?   Again, thanks for sharing; that brought back a really nice memory for me. Thanks for your support and encouragement!!! Love and hugs, R

• Members

Ronni. That is awesome. I’m glad I could make you smile. They all lived amazing lives so full of love. It is important that we keep those parts moving

• Hugs 1

• Members

Thank u both for sharing. My cousin died on July 5th this year. Yesterday was the 2month mark. I took it hard, as I’ve been taking all along. But my cousin Choice was such a loving free spirit. He just loved everyone deeply. He had a way of making everybody feel like they were his BFF. Most of all he loved his children. He had tumultuous relationships with his childrens mothers so it made it hard for him to have all the kids together at once. But in his death the kids are NOW spending time together. This is all he really ever wanted. A happy life, a beautiful wife & happy healthy babies. I’m still heartbroken but thanks for letting me share.  Dee

• Members

Hello, Dee.

Yes, I've also found it rather "strange" or "weird" or whatever, what can 'connect with me' in such a way as to help me open up and share. Such as Don-Tony's original post -- which is about so much more than just sandwiches...at least, it is to me about so much more than just sandwiches.

Like your cousin, my now-deceased husband also was, at the time of his death, trying to bring his two sons back together after they'd been estranged for a number of years. I have lost touch with them, but sure do hope that they also, like your cousin's children, are coming into a bit of love, understanding, forgiveness, compassion and the like of all that's needed for us on Earth to keep having positive and supportive relationships with each other.

My deep sympathies and condolences to you, and to your cousin's children, family and friends. Please, of course, keep sharing as you feel encouraged, inspired and supported to do so.   Ronni