Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my mom

candysad

• Members

Sorry if I am not doing this right I am new,and I came here because i lost my mother on Oct 23 of this year,and the grief is overwhelming...the hurt is like no other. we were extremely close and now i feel so empty and upset all the time..and I just wanted to talk to people who have been thru this and ask if there is ever a way to get thru this pain...thank you i'm Candy

• Members

Hi Cindy, I'm so sorry to read about your loss. I know how hard it can be to lose somebody so close. I lost my own Mom many years ago. To lose a parent is really difficult when they have been such an important part of your life. I see that it was not all that long ago that she passed away. In the early stages of grief you will experience a lot of emotions. It does take time... and if you can focus on taking one day at a time you will eventually find it getting a little easier. In time the beautiful memories you hold dearest in your heart will help to give you comfort.

Kate

• Members

Thank you Kate,I lost a mother a best friend,and above all the most important person in my heart,it's a feeling that I have never had before,and you are right I get sad,I get angry,I get depressed,I never know how I am going to feel when I think of her no longer being with me...I just hope that is does get tolerable one day...right now it's not...thank you so much for your reply

• Members

Hi Candy, no need to thank me. I've walked in your shoes and really do understand the hurt you are experiencing right now. Believe me when I tell you that it will get better over time. These are early days yet. I have found that it is coming up to almost twenty years since my own mom passed away. With the Christmas holidays so close... I constantly think of her and all my other relatives that are now gone... and past memories. Perfectly normal. But it will be hard those first couple of years when you experience the "firsts". Birthday, holidays, etc. One day at a time and go with the ups and downs. Time will heal. Take care.

Kate

• Members
amy.peterson@maine.edu

I too lost my mom, but a year ago, a year ago today actually. While today is a particularly tough day, it is very different from how I was doing a year ago when I was in your shoes. I am so, so sorry about your mom. It is such a terrible thing; it's physically painful. It is still a terrible thing a year later, but I wanted to let you know that I am doing better, and I think you will too. It took many months, but I started taking care of myself again, and feeling lighter--less burdened by stress. I feel her more now than I did at first. That was the worst thing at first, feeling totally disconnected from her. It made me panicky. But I can sense her much better now. I hope this helps a bit.

• Guests
Guest DarkHeart

Sorry if I am not doing this right I am new,and I came here because i lost my mother on Oct 23 of this year,and the grief is overwhelming...the hurt is like no other. we were extremely close and now i feel so empty and upset all the time..and I just wanted to talk to people who have been thru this and ask if there is ever a way to get thru this pain...thank you i'm Candy

Hi Candy, I'm new here, too. I lost my mom nearly a year ago (on Black Friday) to stage 4 lung cancer. I am so sorry for your loss and just wanted to say that you're certainly not alone. Yes, death is part of life, but saying it's a tough event to deal with is an understatement. I'm still numb and I don't know if that will ever change. Still, I try to step outside myself when the grief hits hard & fast and my logical side kicks in - I'm not advising you, by the way, just sharing. Logic is my armor most of the time. It still hurts, though. I wish you well, hoping your days grow brighter with time.

• Members

Thank you DarkHeart,sorry for your loss as well....these holidays are getting to me already because of the things we used to do to prepare for them and now I feel like I am empty and at a standstill as far as wanting to do any of them this year,I know the feeling of being numb,I have since she passed...God bless you and I thank you so much for your kind words

Archived