Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Antecipatory grief for my parents

Brazil Man

• Members

I lost my wife 4 years ago and I am still grieving her. I lived about 3 years alone and now I am living with my parents. But they are already old and I know that within some years they will be gone. This is only a happy moment of my life that will be in past as it happened to my story with my wife. So am already grieving for them. Have anydody ever felt like that or know how to feel better ? I'm 56 years old and was married for 30 years.

• Members

Dear Brazil Man,

I am sorry for the loss of your wife. It's understandable to have this fear about losing your parents in the future as well. I don't know if you want to try talking to a grief counsellor about this or joining a support group.

I would also suggest increasing your social connections with friends, neighbors, colleagues. Trying new activities. Joining a church group. 

I hope others will come forward and offer some additional suggestions that will bring you comfort and peace.

• Like 1

• Members

Thank you for your replay dear @reader.  I appreciate your attention.

• Members

I understand how you feel, I lost multiple family members and ended up moving back in with my mom, who is really the only close family left, and she doesn’t have anyone else nearby. I’ve felt that too, the pain of when she will pass eventually even now. It’s almost been grieving extra to watch her age knowing she’s showing the mark of time. I at least have been trying to acknowledge it will happen one day, but also finding extra meaning and gratitude for the time spent now with her. I ask myself sometimes how can I act now so I don’t look back in guilt or regret, and can be at peace for what I did in our relationship.  

Getting other supports I think is important too. I’ve been terrible at it but am trying because it would help me tremendously to not be completely alone when the inevitable happens. I’d be in a bad spot indeed if supports then look like what they do now.

• Like 1

• Members

Thank you for your replay dear @reader.  I appreciate your attention.