Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Apprehension about a big group activity

Gail 8588

• Members

Oh, Gail.  I so understand this--and my big four day event was a family wedding weekend where I knew half the people and was supported emotionally by people who love me and John.  Actually, the hardest moment in some ways was when the groom (our nephew-by-choice who was super close to John and is still close to me) found me on his own at the reception.  He enveloped me in a huge hug (he and John are both great huggers) and whispered hoarsely, "I'm glad you're here. I love you."  I very nearly lost it then, but held it together.  I told him I was proud of him and that he is a lucky man and his wife is a lucky woman.

Honestly, you are really brave to do this for your brother.  I'm sure you already know this, but perhaps if you keep focusing on the fact that you're helping your brother get through it, then it might not be as emotionally painful/difficult for you. 

I'll be sending you all the good thoughts and strength possible.  It truly is wonderful and caring of you to do this for your brother.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Members

I don't have any advice or suggestions, but I feel your pain.  For me, it's only been 9 months.  I was never very outgoing in the first place, and I always referred to Paul as my buffer when we were in social situations.  I don't like crowds, and I have a paralyzing fear of being around people I don't know.  My daughter says I'm an "inside cat". 

One of Paul's brothers still keeps in touch every now and then.  The last time we talked, he told me his son will be getting married next year. I've known that young man since he was 4 years old.  I'm sure they expect me to go to the wedding, but I can already tell you that I know I can't.  Social anxiety and akwardness aside, I think it would be too much for me to bear, being around all of his family members without him. 

I admire you for offering to go, and I will be praying for your strength.  Let us know how it goes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Thinking of you, Gail.  It is a kind thing you are doing for your brother.

• Like 1

• Members

Gail what strength that took for you to do this for your brother. I'm amazed that he was able to do it in his early grief! Pushing forward is all we can do. I know you'll be glad when the event is over, but thinking back will probably. Be glad that you went  to. I lost my husband to covid January 2022 and he was an only child. I stay in touch with his mother because she has no one else, she insisted  going to a grief share program one month after his passing. I went with her even though I really didn't want to go. I was not able to share much in the group but listened. So I would say this forum has been so much more helpful to me just reading the stories makes me feel like I'm not alone in my grief.

Lost7 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1