Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Grieving a loss that you were too young to remember?

SpontaneousBucket

• Members
SpontaneousBucket

So this is a little complicated but I'm hoping someone here has dealt with something similar and can offer advice. My parents got divorced when I was 2, my dad got custody, and moved to a different state with me. I'm 28 now. I've never known my mom, but after a lot of therapy I've realized that a part of me still misses her. Even though I've reconnected with those feelings of grief, I'm not really sure how to process these feelings for someone that I have no memory of. I've been working my way toward finding her, but she recently reached out to me on Facebook. I'm still trying to figure out how to process all of this and I'm not sure I'm ready to talk to her until I at least understand how I feel. How do I process a loss that I don't remember?

• Members

It’s always hard to know where to begin and how to proceed. I wonder if your therapist could help in guiding you. I’m sorry I don’t have any experience but I hope someone else will come forward soon. 

• Members
SpontaneousBucket
On 7/15/2022 at 1:57 AM, reader said:

It’s always hard to know where to begin and how to proceed. I wonder if your therapist could help in guiding you. I’m sorry I don’t have any experience but I hope someone else will come forward soon. 

Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately a job change has left me therapist-less for the moment.

• Members

I would consider sharing this post with your mom on Facebook. I’m sure she is also feeling nervous about reconnecting. There might also be some community supports and some resources to church that might be helpful.