Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

ShannonFarr94

• Members
ShannonFarr94

Hi, my mum passed away on the 08/05/22. My mum was an alcoholic, she would not drink for months at a time then when she would drink she would binge, my mum passed away from a cardiac arrest. I feel numb she was only 47 me & my 4 brothers are lost, also my nan, i suppose i am writing this to see how others cope as i am finding it very hard, my name is Shannon and i am 28 i am Irish but currently live in the UK with my partner.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Members

Hi Shannon, welcome to this website. I'm so very sorry for your loss. It's good to hear you have a partner though, I hope they support you. There's a group here for fresh grief, and of course you can post anywhere you want. I only noticed after months of being on this website that way on the bottom there's a subforum for difficult backgrounds. I guess alcoholism would maybe count as such? As someone who has also grown up with a mother who had her fair share of challenges I know that grief can be complicated when you have sometimes contradicting feelings towards your parent. I do not know if that's the case with you, but if it is, please know that it is normal.

Only problem is, the forums on the bottom of the page get overlooked a lot, so people have posted there only years ago... just know you can talk about any topic and start a new thread also in the parent forum and you will always find someone who has the same issue - be it anger or guilt or whatever troubles you and keeps you up at night.

If I knew how to deal with grief, I wouldn't be here looking for advice myself. I think we just help each other by keeping each other company and that makes most of us feel less alone. So you've come to the right place. Just know that its a lot to deal with and will take some time, until the immediate shock wears off and you will feel a little bit less raw, even though it's baby steps. If you want to, you can start a thread for people who lost their parent at a very young age. There is a few of those around here and maybe you could support each other.

Best wishes to you!

• Like 1