Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

New to Forum, Seeking Support after losing my Mom

Kristine217

• Members
Kristine217

Hello, my name is Kristine and I unfortunately lost my Mom in May to Metastatic Lung Cancer.

I am an only child and my Mother moved to FL with my Stepdad several years ago. Prior to the pandemic she was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung Cancer and has wanted to move back home to MA with me and her family. We had everything planned for her and my stepdad to move in with me in MA and 3 weeks prior her health started to deteriorate. I flew down to FL and called an ambulance for my Mom. She went through a couple hospitalizations, the last she was septic in the ICU and I was told I probably wouldn’t be able to get her home.

I purchased a medical flight and was able to get her home and on hospice. She saw our family and she passed away about a week later. I watched her 24/7 and administered all of her meds. I felt a huge relief being able to get her home and keep her from experiencing pain.

Unfortunately I didn’t have a lot of support outside of the hospice workers. I am not close with my extended family. I am used to being the caregiver, helper, therapist. I am also trying to navigate an unhealthy relationship with my fiancé and have had my stepfather staying in my home. 

Even though I am a licensed therapist and I have helped clients for years I have never felt so lost and alone.

The loss of my Mother has triggered so many thoughts and feelings in so many domains.

I am grateful to have come across this forum and I appreciate any support/advice/words.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members

Hello friend, I lost my mom a month ago. I’m in intensive therapy. I can’t go back to work bc of anxiety and panic attacks. 
if it’s at all possible find a support group outside your home. I found a program that is 9-1 daily and it’s been a huge help in keeping me out of depression & the endless cycle of negative thoughts. I also listen to a podcasts form Huberman Lab on Spotify about  Grief and it helped explain how the kind works through this because, knowledge is power, Right? 
I’m sorry you’re struggling but you’re absolutely not alone. Hang in there. Sending love and light your way .

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Dear Kristine,

I am very sorry for your loss. Please know we are with you. 

For me, I tried grief counselling, grief support groups and reading helped me a lot. These sites helped me the most.

What's Your Grief

Grief in Common

Grief Share

Grief Healing Blog

Thinking of you. x 

• Like 1