Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

6 months on....

Lara777

• Members

Hi i lost my mother very unexpectedly on Christmas Eve of 2021, this last Friday (24th was the 6 months anniversary) things seem to  feel even more raw and upsetting this time, the whole weekend I was battling depression and just feel so low. Like I woke up and I couldn't believe my mum isn't here. I'm 22 and it's so upsetting to know the majority of my life she won't be here. Has anyone else felt the grief has gotten worse over time and not better? 

Thanks again

Lara 

• Hugs 2

• Members

Dear Lara,

I am very sorry for your loss. I hear what you are saying and I think it is normal in the first year and second year of grief to feel worse. I too was so raw over my dad and couldn't stop crying the first year. All my emotions were on the surface. My counsellor said on average it takes about 18 months to feel the pain lessen. But everyone is different and there is no right way or wrong way to grieve.

Thinking of you. Please know we are here to listen.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Hi thanks for your reply, it really means a lot. It taking 18 months makes sense I guess you have to just ride the wave of it all. My mum passed during Christmas and it was very unexpected, I was on hoilday when I found out which I think adds to the trauma of it but very grateful to be around family at this time as we can understand each other. 

Thank you ❤️

• Hugs 2

• Members

Hi Lara,

Your feelings are completely understandable and make sense. I feel the same way because my father went into hospital after Christmas. 

And you're so right about grief being a wave. My friend send me this article that helped me. I hope it will give you a little bit of comfort.

• Like 2