Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

CELEBRATING OUR HEROES

Jeff's Mom

• Members

As tomorrow marks another Remembrance Day... I hope that you will join with me in saluting our veterans and all people who have served or are presently in service for our countries. It is a true privilege to honour them all this November 11.

Heroes are ordinary people called upon to do extraordinary things. They come from all across our countries, from factories, and farms,cities,towns and villages, and reserves. From sea unto sea they are ordinary men and women who are prepared to serve wherever they are needed. Most are young and some will not return. To the mothers and Fathers of those who will not return from Afghanistan we remember your children with heartfelt gratitude. Their sacrifices will never be forgotten!

I would like to share with you a poem that I read this morning in our local weekly paper. it was provided by a Legion that is not far from where I live. I hope in reading this that it may help to bring you some comfort.

VETERAN

It is the veteran not the preacher who gives us freedom of religion

It is the Veteran not the reporter who gives us freedom of the press

It is the Veteran not the poet who has given us freedom of speech

It is the Veteran not campus organizer who has given us freedom to assemble

It is the Veteran not the lawyer who has given us the freedon to a fair trial

It is the Veteran not the politician who has given us the freedon to vote

It is the Veteran who salutes the flag

It is the Veteran who serves under the flag

God Bless Them All!

• Members

Beautiful, Kate. I have many family members who have served or are serving our country. Thanks for sharing the poem. It's so true.

Susan

• Members

Beautiful, Kate. I have many family members who have served or are serving our country. Thanks for sharing the poem. It's so true.

Susan

Thank you, Susan. Forgive my spelling errors. I now have my glasses on!

Did You Know?\ An American teacher, Moina Michael...while working at the YMCA overseas War Secretaries' headquarters in New York in November 1918, read John McCrae's poem "In Flanders Fields". She immediately made a personal pledge to keep the faith and vowed to always wear a poppy as a sign of rememberance and as an emblem for keeping the faith with all who had died."

Two years later during a 1920 visit to the US, a french woman by the name of Madame Geurin...learned of the custom. On her return to France she decided to use handmade poppies to raise money for the Great War Veterans... and so the Poppy was officially adopted as its Flower of Rememberance. John McCrae a Canadian soldier wrote this first and his only published poem from the trenches.

IN FLANDERS FIELDS

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses row on row

That mark our place and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.\We are the dead. Short days ago.

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields

Take up our quarrel with the foe

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch be yours to hold it high

If ye break faith with us who die

we shall not sleep, though poppies grow in

Flanders Fields.

And so when we see a poppy worn...let us reflect on the burdon borne by those who gave their all! I listened to an interview this morning on CBC radio with an English war correspondent. A man who is completely against the wearing of the poppy as depicting people who glorify war and all its atrocities. Well, he is very wrong. We wear this badge to depict the undying faith we carry in our troops and all our fellow man who have suffered in the wars. We remember their sacrifices and we tip our hats to their families for the heartwrenching sacrifices they have made. We do this out of respect and honour. Because we are civilized and stand up for the rights of alll human kind.

• Members

Thank you Kate.

Chrissy was a veteran of the US Air Force. The Honor Guard did a wonderful job at her memorial service. Just another reason why we were all so proud of her.

Archived