Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of father

Odeuss

• Members

My dad dies 2 months ago. It’s really hard because I hadn’t seen him for 8 years prior. Because I’m abroad studying. Sad part is that I couldn’t travel back home for the funeral to be with my family. I’m really really sad because it’s all hitting me now. I’ve been In Denial for a while now. 
Does it get better? I miss him so much 

• Hugs 1

• Members

Dear Odeuss,

I'm so sorry for your loss. Please know there is no right way or wrong way to grieve. I know I felt raw for almost 2 years after losing my dad. The counsellor told me on average it takes 18 months for people to feel better. It could be longer or shorter depending on the person. Take your time and know that what you are feeling and thinking is normal. I hope you'll reach out for additional supports. If you want to maybe consider grief counselling or joining a support group.

Our thoughts are with you

• Thanks 1

• Members

hello, 

I lost my father one year ago and i still feel this way some times. i hope you are taking care of yourself i know i found that hard when i lost my dad! and when i was in counciling she told me that i should be over grieving but in reality does it ever go away? will it ever get easier, or do we learn how to deal with our grief in diffrent ways? i know some days are really hard, like fathers day is hard, my dads birthday is hard and his death day is really hard... keep on doing things to help you with how your feeling, grieve in your own way... heck cry if you have to... but also know you have people who care about you...

• Thanks 1