Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of my 5 year old son

Christina Mahaney

• Members
Christina Mahaney

On July 19, my 5 year old son Liam was taken from us tragically. At 2:30 in the morning a logging truck crashed in front of our home and spilled it's 100,000 load of logs through our home demolishing the entire downstairs. My 5 yo son was sleeping on the sofa that night and killed instantly. My 12 year old son along with my husband and I were also downstairs. We all had minor to serious injuries but survived. I was sitting only inches from my 5 year old and most days I feel like "unfortunately I survived. I suffered 5 pelvic fractures, a lower spinal fracture and a head injury. I was buried in logs and the only reason I even had the energy to dig myself out, was that I remembered 2 of my children were in the living room. My other two children were safe upstairs with no injuries.

I have been beyond devastated. My kids never sleep downstairs, but it was hot that night so we let them lay there until we all went up to bed. I never imagined that decision would be the biggest mistake of my life. He was the laughter and light of our family. He was silly always making us laugh, he always convinced us we should smile and not be sad. We was the happiest little boy I have ever met.

I just can't cope. I am angry, and sad, I just feel empty and lost. Most days I just don't want to wake up and face another miserable day.

The driver of the logging truck originally said he fell asleep, but then he denied it. I know he was speeding, they always do through my area. With the damage he caused there should be no question he was negligent, but it looks as though he will face no charges which really just has me teetering on the edge.

We lost our son, our home, and most of our belongings. How does a person survive this type of tragedy and actually live again? :(

This is the link to the accident

• Members

Liam's Mom - I am so sorry to here of the loss of your sweet boy. I did view the link you shared....it's horrible that this has happened. Please post in Loss of Adult child Forum. You will be welcomed and embraced there. There are many who have lost children of all ages and under various circumstances. Many are further along on this journey than I (I am only 6 weeks into this). I wish I had the words to comfort you and encourage you, but all I can say is "I am so sorry."

Susan - Shannon's Mom

• Members

Christina - I looked at your beautiful pictures of Liam. What a handsome and happy boy! I also read the poem listed in your profile info. Very beautiful and so true. I have been thinking of you and your family since reading your post. Many prayers are being lifted up for you as you begin this terrible journey. Praying for peace and love to find it's to you soon.

Susan - Susan's Mom

• Members

So sorry to hear what has happened to your son, and really your whole family. It sounds like you have a lot of healing to do physically as well as emotionly. It will be a long, hard road. You will get through this step by step. My very best to you.

Sue

• Members

On July 19, my 5 year old son Liam was taken from us tragically. At 2:30 in the morning a logging truck crashed in front of our home and spilled it's 100,000 load of logs through our home demolishing the entire downstairs. My 5 yo son was sleeping on the sofa that night and killed instantly. My 12 year old son along with my husband and I were also downstairs. We all had minor to serious injuries but survived. I was sitting only inches from my 5 year old and most days I feel like "unfortunately I survived. I suffered 5 pelvic fractures, a lower spinal fracture and a head injury. I was buried in logs and the only reason I even had the energy to dig myself out, was that I remembered 2 of my children were in the living room. My other two children were safe upstairs with no injuries.

I have been beyond devastated. My kids never sleep downstairs, but it was hot that night so we let them lay there until we all went up to bed. I never imagined that decision would be the biggest mistake of my life. He was the laughter and light of our family. He was silly always making us laugh, he always convinced us we should smile and not be sad. We was the happiest little boy I have ever met.

I just can't cope. I am angry, and sad, I just feel empty and lost. Most days I just don't want to wake up and face another miserable day.

The driver of the logging truck originally said he fell asleep, but then he denied it. I know he was speeding, they always do through my area. With the damage he caused there should be no question he was negligent, but it looks as though he will face no charges which really just has me teetering on the edge.

We lost our son, our home, and most of our belongings. How does a person survive this type of tragedy and actually live again? :(

This is the link to the accident

MyangelLiam,

I am so very sorry about this horror that you are living through. I watched the video link you sent. I simply cannot wrap my mind around how things like this happen, but I hear about these nightmarish experiences almost daily. You take it one day at a time for now and do not blame yourself for anything. There is no way on the face of this earth that you could have known, predicted or suspected such a thing could occur. I believe in a Higher Power who I know is in control. The only way I can understand any of these situations is to just believe that He is in charge and has a plan for all of us that may not be what we want for ourselves.

So, surely his company's insurance will have to pay for the structural damage to your home, right? I know that will not in any way compensate for the loss of your son, but hopefully it can help with the process of rebuilding your physical home for your family to begin to heal in.

My heart goes out to you and your family. How are the rest of the family doing? Your children? Your husband? Are you all talking about this? Have you talked with a family counselor? You may want to think about some family grief counseling to help you all sort this out.

ModKonnie

Archived