Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost Adult Son to Suicide

Lysa

• Members

My son had his 40th birthday March 29, 2022. He shot and killed himself April 23, 2022. I am still in a state of denial or a feeling of being unreal. I can't comprehend that he is gone forever. On top of that I am having issues with his live-in girlfriend. She is planning on staying in the house they rented...and where he killed himself. The issue is that she will not let me go over and take some of his personal items, nothing of any real value. I live in Arizona and this is not a community property state, she owns nothing of his legally. I have been requesting access since he passed and she refuses to let me in. I've asked for his journal and she says he must have gotten rid of it because she cannot find it. I know that she is grieving too so I have not pushed, but asking is not working. I do not believe my son got rid of his journal. They had issues in the relationship and he was going to leave her, I have a feeling my boy wrote about their relationship and the girlfriend does not want me to read it. Any suggestions? I should not have to be dealing with this and his loss too.

• Hugs 1

• Members

Dear Lysa,

I am deeply sorry for your loss.  It is extremely difficult to get through to his live in girlfriend. I hope a social worker might be able to mediate this situation.

I found this article and  I hope it will give you some comfort.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/30/well/family/suicide-loss-parents-survivors-therapy-healing.html