Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Memorial tattoos

Dragonfly999

• Members

Dear Dragonfly999,

Thank you for sharing! ❤️. I found this such a lovely idea, which had never even crossed my mind. (I might not end up with a tattoo -- but then again, I just might -- or I can incorporate my late hubby's handwriting and 'cartoon images' that he used to have fun drawing, in my memorial photo albums, wall-hangings, and such.)

Love and hugs to you.   Ronni

• Like 4

• Members

This was something I had planned too. My husband didn't like tattoos though so I was hesitant. As a result I started doing a temporary tattoo. It's drawn on with Jagua ink which is made from the fruit, non toxic,  no risks, no side effects. It looks authentic but only lasts about two weeks. It was quite difficult to do as I didn't want it very big but it didn't actually matter if it wasn't perfect. I really enjoy tracing my husband's writing and my "tattoo" is like a secret between us.

• Like 3

• Members
9 hours ago, Dragonfly999 said:

It’s the first thing I’ve found that has brought any comfort.

I’m going to get another one for him with some art but I haven’t decided what yet.

Good for you! I am happy for you and that you found something that gives you comfort. Hope you will share your next one with us, too. 

• Like 3

• Members
3 hours ago, LMR said:

I really enjoy tracing my husband's writing and my "tattoo" is like a secret between us.

I'm glad that your little tattoo brings you some joy. Who knows, maybe at some point you'll have it made with permanent ink. I still need to order some leather cord to hang our wedding rings on. I'm not much into tats and can't be: doctor warned that Sarcoidosis loves to attack tattoos, so he suggested I not get one. But if I were into tats and wasn't a Sarkie, I could see having a secret one made in honor of my husband bringing me comfort. I kind of like that idea. 

• Like 2

• Members
foreverhis

@Dragonfly999  That is so touching.  What a sweet way to not only honor him, but have a reminder of your and his deep, abiding love in sight every day.

I'm not a tattoo person, but I think they can be really special and lovely.  Other members have mentioned they've gotten memorial tattoos and have been comforted by them.  My sister (by birth) has two tattoos that she designed herself.  She's an artist and based them on fractal geometry combined with mandalas.  Our daughter got a yin-yang in her 20s in a...ahem...discrete place.  She knows it's there and that's enough for her.

Last year (I think), a member posted a picture of the tattoo he designed to honor his girlfriend who died.  It was a half sleeve and really beautiful. 

I think the tattoo artist who did yours did a wonderful job.

@LMR  How cool.  A temporary tattoo is a great compromise.

• Like 4

• Members
Canadagirl81

LOVE YOUR TATTOO!!!
I will be doing this as well with Glenn's writing from a card he gave me that says "Laura, I am because you are, I love you, Glenn xoxo" I can't wait to get it and have his writing on my skin.  Thank you for sharing this!!! :)

• Like 4

• Members
HisPumpkin

I want a giant back piece with fantasy art pulling from D’s style of his own artwork - a dragon, a girl, a dreamscape background. But I think perhaps I’d like to get his writing too. I have the love note on the fridge so… maybe. Maybe better to get that first as it’s not so invasive and I’m still being crap with eating.

Beautiful tribute. X

• Like 2