Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Guilty

HDee

• Members
20 minutes ago, tnd said:

I am very sorry for your loss. The pain we are left to cope with is the hardest thing. I sort of look at my own grief as being excess baggage. I've told my story but seems I remember more therefore, more to tell I guess. My "suitcase" has wheels because I think it's going to have to come with me. Just like other baggage we carry inside us. I think I can accept that but hope to be able to enjoy some sort of life again. I wish you much strength, wisdom and compassion as you navigate life with "the suitcase". 

Thank you.  Some days, some times of day, the suitcase is heavy.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members

I am so sorry for your loss.  I truly hope you are able to find some peace while coping with the burden of guilt.  I understand very much about carrying around the “suitcase”.  Would you be willing to share the title of the book you are reading?

• Like 2

• Members

Sure, here is the title:   Anxiety, The Missing Stage of Grief by Claire Bidwell Smith

• Like 4

• Moderators

Sometimes in early grief we go through all of the "what ifs" (guilt association) to find a different possible outcome as the one that occurred is too unpalatable...but that doesn't mean we are guilty of anything, rather that we FEEL guilt...but feelings alone are not a barometer of fact.  The fact is we love/d them (past and present) more than anything!

I do hope these articles will aid you in getting through your guilt feelings...
Guilt and Regret in Grief
Grief and the Burden of Guilt
Guilt In the Wake of a Parent's Death

Address Guilt When Grieving
and this video is helpful as well:

• Like 2

• Members

Yes, the last words I said to him, when I got him ready for bed the night before he died were, "I love you and I know you love me."  We had a wonderful life, I loved him immensely...but caregiver stress takes a toll.

Thank you for the titles.  I'm sure they will be helpful.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
22 hours ago, HDee said:

Thank you.  Some days, some times of day, the suitcase is heavy.

That's when you come on here and let your emotions out or ask for help. Just try to focus on the "here and now". Sometimes I find it easier if I just cry and let the tears flow. If I can, I retreat to my room to cry or wait until I am alone. Some days I cry only a little, other days I cry so much it hurts my face and in fact, my whole body. I've got no one here to hold me while I cry and sometimes I wish I did. But at least I'm not denying myself the tears. It is getting a little easier but still quite painful. I imagine what took years to find (our beloveds) will take years to mourn. So there shouldn't be any rush. Have to grieve in your own time. Sometimes have to set the suitcase down so you can take the time to cry. 

• Like 3

• Members
8 hours ago, HDee said:

loved him immensely...but caregiver stress takes a toll.

I personally know what that is like. We did my husband's hemodialysis at home (with giant horse needles 6 days a week). I had to give it up after 3 years. Have felt guilty ever since. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

It sounds like you did everything you could for as long as you could, to give him the best quality of life possible under the circumstances.  Three years is a long time.  You always know when you have to consider your own health, and survival, so you can still be present for him.  I listen and truly say you should feel no guilt, but I know, it's not that easy.

Thank you for your kind words.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2