Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Interesting article about depression and exercise

ModKonnie

• Members

Hi everyone,

As many of you have probably heard or noticed, exercise is an excellent tool for battling depression. I found this interesting article from the Mayo Clinic about major depression and exercise. I'd love to hear your thoughts about this:

Depression and anxiety: Exercise eases symptoms

ModKonnie

• Members

I read the article and ran through some of the links on this site. I guess before losing Mike what I called depression could be dealt with by just those things cited in the article. Change of scenery, walking, taking time out in a different direction usually saw me plateau and surface. Back then the depressive state bought on by circumstance, hormones whatever seemed to pass.

Depression and grief, now that's a whole other thing. The ability to motivate past getting out of bed is in the early stages is way beyond many peoples capability.

I think though to put it out there goes in someway to plant that seed that will eventually grow...Thanks Trudi

• Members

I read the article and ran through some of the links on this site. I guess before losing Mike what I called depression could be dealt with by just those things cited in the article. Change of scenery, walking, taking time out in a different direction usually saw me plateau and surface. Back then the depressive state bought on by circumstance, hormones whatever seemed to pass.

Depression and grief, now that's a whole other thing. The ability to motivate past getting out of bed is in the early stages is way beyond many peoples capability.

I think though to put it out there goes in someway to plant that seed that will eventually grow...Thanks Trudi

You are welcome Trudi. I realize that some people can't even manage to get themselves out of bed. I had a friend whose father and brother committed suicide (two different experiences). At times, she would sit on the edge of her bed all day trying to get the energy to at least get to the bathroom.

However, at times, if a person can manage to get moving, exercise can help them manage severe depression because it releases the necessary brain chemicals that will help ease the symptoms.

Thanks for reading,

ModKonnie

• Members

Has anybody here tried yoga? I started a few years ago and found it very beneficial. I am taking a class for restorative yoga. A gentle class that focuses on exercises for breathing techniques and helping with injuries. Such as bad back, etc. I just love it. I found that it helps me to relax when I am most tense. And it is wonderful to put into practice when you are having difficulty sleeping. Definitely worth looking into.

Archived