Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My dad died and I feel guilty

Paulwriting

• Members
Paulwriting

Hello everybody, I am Italian so please forgive any grammar mistake.

Basically my dad died three years ago, but still feels like yesterday. He had a stroke, and spent his last days unconscious in the hospital. The last night we spent together I had a feeling it would be the last one but, nevertheless, at midnight I left, thinking to come back the next morning. Only my mum stayed, and my dad died at four a.m. I feel very guilty because I know I had to stay, I know I had this feeling it was going to be over in a few hours, but remaining there, waiting for his last breath was an agony I really couldn't manage.  

• Members

Dear Paul,

I am sorry for your loss. Our experiences are very similar. I had noticed my dad was weak but the doctor said he had 6 months to live. I left his hospital room that day and went to work. Like you, I feel horribly guilty and felt like I should have stayed. I know it's painful to look back and think I should have done this or that. But none of us can know for sure what will happen as much as we want to.

Many people say that our loved ones wait for us to leave before they pass. 

For myself, I have tried talking to a grief counsellor and joining a support group. Please know you are not alone in your feelings. It takes time to work through them.